Profile for BusyMum > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Five O'Clock Apron: Proper Food for Modern Families
The Five O'Clock Apron: Proper Food for Modern Families
by Claire Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating good and healthy food together with your children isn't exactly ..., 22 Mar. 2015
I am a cookbook fanatic, owning well over 300 and I did wonder if this would be a worthy addition to my collection. At first I wasn't sure. The format had surely been done before? Eating good and healthy food together with your children isn't exactly a new concept. Was this yet another addition to the already over populated genre of 'yummy mummy' manuals, telling us mere mortals how we simply must spend a small fortune in Waitrose in order to gain our 'good parenting' credentials? It seems not! After closer inspection I found that this volume was indeed worthy of it's place on my groaning shelves. Order it or borrow it from your library if you're skeptical. Only your personal experience will tell whether it's a good buy for you. However, amongst all my Nigellas, Nigels and Olivers, I can honestly say that this book can hold it's own and more.

Frustration
Frustration
Offered by pure86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for all the family!, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Frustration (Toy)
This is such a great game. We re-discovered it in a holiday home we rented this summer and there's no doubt it's great for the whole family. We decided to try and find the original version as apparently the new one doesn't have the characteristic 'click' when you roll the dice. Well worth the money and well packaged from the seller.

Top Bananas!: The Best Ever Family Recipes from Mumsnet
Top Bananas!: The Best Ever Family Recipes from Mumsnet
by Claire McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 May 2014
I love to cook and have 100's of cookery books, but sometimes you just need something quick and easy which works and everyone in the family will eat. This book delivers just that. I have already tried the 3 minute sponge which is absolutely genius! Perfect for week nights when the cries of 'what's for pudding!' fill the air and you've had no time to prepare anything and have cleared the cupboards of all the chocolate biscuits in preparation for your latest health kick. A note of caution though...sadly it does taste rather good and you may find yourself making one for personal consumption.

The Baker's Daughter: Timeless recipes from four generations of bakers
The Baker's Daughter: Timeless recipes from four generations of bakers
by Louise Johncox

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely!, 17 Mar. 2014
This book arrived on a day when I was feeling quite ill and in need of some cheering up. It was a lovely surprise when it was delivered earlier than expected and I spent a good few hours reading it. It's a charming catalogue of family recipes, penned by the daughter of a baker who ran a tea shop together with his wife for many years. The recipes are very traditional and full of nostalgia, but for me it's the narrative that accompanies them which makes this book shine. We are taken on a journey through the lives of the author's parents and family. Be prepared to be very moved by some of it, I was in tears on quite a few occasions. All in all a lovely book which I'm very glad I purchased.

Easysharpener Sharpener with Container for Right-Handers 3 Sharpening Holes Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 11 Mar. 2014
This was a requirement from the school and can see why they like them. They are easy to use and to empty.

Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Raspberry
Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Raspberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Mar. 2014
I love this travel mug and use it as much when I'm at home as when I'm out. I was fed up coming back to cold coffee in the morning when I was busy getting the children ready for school, so now I put my coffee in this and it stays hot for hours. I also work from home and have lost count of the number of cold cups of tea and coffee I've tipped down the sink because I've been distracted and forgotten to drink it. Now there's no waste. This is so much easier to manage when I'm on the school run. It's been totally leak proof so far and I can fling it on the passenger seat and go. I just wish I'd had one of these when my children were babies. I was totally paranoid about hot drinks around my children for years and one of these would have made life much easier. Of course it's not marketed from a safety point of view and you would still have to be mindful around children, but in my mind it's a lot safer to have a hot drink in one of these than an open cup AND it will stay hot! Just a great product and we love the children's water bottles too.

Green Frostfire Moonbag - Heavy duty changing mat and bag, ideal for watersports, swimming and outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for families, 23 July 2013
This is the second bag of this type I have bought. The first was purchased more than 5 years ago and is just starting to get tatty inside after weekly use. We find it big enough for trips to the swimming pool as a family of 4 and it holds all our paraphernalia, including 4 towels and arm bands etc. When the children were babies it was useful to lie them down on for changing. Now they are older it's great for carrying a large volume of stuff and standing on if necessary. I hope this one is as good as the first and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be. I was just relieved they were still available!

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
by Deb Perelman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must have for your cookbook collection., 1 Mar. 2013
I have been a fan of the Smitten Kitchen blog for some time and was eagerly anticipating the release of the book. Unfortunately, the UK release date was delayed by around 4/5 months due to the production of a specific UK edition. I agree with the other reviewer who says the 'translations' are sometimes a bit odd and that some of the charm is lost. I own the original US edition too (couldn't wait!) and tbh, I don't really see the point of many of the changes. It's pretty simple nowadays to Google any of the ingredients or terms which we don't have in the UK. However, this doesn't stop this book being completely brilliant and well worth having. The recipes ALWAYS work (due to the author's exhaustive tweaking!) and are ALWAYS gorgeous. There also isn't much cross over with the blog, which makes it good value for money too.

Dinner: A Love Story: It All Begins at the Family Table
Dinner: A Love Story: It All Begins at the Family Table
by Jenny Rosenstrach

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!, 24 July 2012
This a lovely book, full of brilliant recipes and charming narrative. Completely non-judgmental in it's approach, the author has worked full-time whilst raising 2 young children and been at home too. Take it from me, she knows what she's talking about and isn't going to make you feel bad whilst doing it.

Cooking with Coco: Family Recipes to Cook Together
Cooking with Coco: Family Recipes to Cook Together
by Anna Del Conte

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, not to be missed!, 3 Jan. 2012
I came across this book in our local Italian deli and was immediately drawn to the beautiful photography. It was duly purchased on Amazon where it was much cheaper (of course!) and I've barely had a week where I haven't used it since.

Nigella Lawson loves this book and I can see why. It really is one of the best family cook books I have found and the narrative which accompanies each recipe is a real treat. My 3 yo son already spends a lot of time 'helping' in the kitchen, but this book has given me new ideas to try out with him.

If you are looking for excellent day to day family recipes this is the book for you!

Page: 1 | 2