Profile for Andre M. Ray > Reviews

Content by Andre M. Ray

Andre M. Ray (Rochester, Kent United Kingdom)

Windows 7 - Dell OptiPlex Computer Tower with Large 19" LCD TFT Flat Panel Monitor - Powerful Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - Massive 250GB Hard Drive - 4GB RAM - DVD - Wireless Internet Ready - Keyboard & Mouse - Genuine Windows 7 COA (Certificate of Authenticity)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations., 21 July 2014
Rather pleased with the purchase from PCPAL. I am always a bit worried about buying "refurbished/second user" computers but need not have worried. All good working order, minimum of marks on computer and the monitor. The monitor I received is not as shown which others have mentioned, I think it is will be pot luck, but the one I received is a Samsung Syncmaster 941MP LCDTV so can plug a TV aerial in an a scart lead, so can be dual purpose.
Connected it all up and switched it o, all worked fine. I just tweaked the display to correct resolution and also changed the disc to one large partition from the two it was setup with. After all the updates had been done, it is a very nice system ideal for my step son and its purpose of web browsing, watching youtube, emails and the ever important Skype to his girlfriend. If he looks after this I will upgrade him to a better one in the future.

Beginning Raspberry Pi Game Programming
Beginning Raspberry Pi Game Programming
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi Game Programming, 23 Jun 2013
Well it's not bad, but code layout sometimes could be better for example the first line of code you get to enter looks like it is indented, so I indented it, but when run the program it tells you "unexpected indentation", this happens through out the book with the code you need to enter.
Also seems to repeatedly show the program listing again after only a couple of lines added, is this just to fill the book up ?

Cannot access the website it tells you to get the resources from so no chance of completing the program examples correctly.

All the coding I have entered has worked and has been explained well enough which is good for a beginners guide, but the rest is not. I have been programming since the very early 80's in a working role until 2005, but I have never even looked at Python until now, I have not had a problem with any of what has been explained and I am sure "real" beginners will not either.

I will update this review when I have finished the book.

Belkin Computer Technician Maintenance Tool Kit - 55 Piece
Belkin Computer Technician Maintenance Tool Kit - 55 Piece
Price: 33.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Has nearly all you need., 26 May 2013
This a pretty good toolkit for the price. So far has all the tools I have needed.
I know it is missing the security torx drivers, but I have a set of them anyway, but would have been nice to have been included.
All in all I would recommend this toolkit, just remember to put things back when not being used otherwise enjoy the tool hunt.

Belkin USB / Networking Cable Kit
Belkin USB / Networking Cable Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but falls short of what I was expecting., 26 May 2013
Does not have the range of USB connectors I was expecting, my own fault should have read more carefully, need to buy another set now to get the more unusual ones I need.
Good enough to get you out of a jam, networking cable too short to be of any real use unless you are close to the "network" port.

The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
Price: 3.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Here comes Harry Hole, 8 Nov 2012
Having read some of the other Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo I wanted to come back to the beginning to see how he started and was introduced to the world.
Jo Nesbo does, in a clever way introduce us to Harry Hole and some of his earlier life, he also shows us some of his failings making him a very human and believable character.
The story is set down in Australia and flows nicely but the ending came very quickly.
All in all a very enjoyable start to the Harry Hole series.
Anyone who has enjoyed Wallander will also enjoy this detective.

Kensington Expert Mouse Optical Wired USB Trackball for PC and Mac - Silver and Black
Price: 66.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that comfortable,for me., 13 Oct 2011
I am really struggling to find a mouse/trackball that suits my hand size, I have very large hands and long fingers.
I have tried various mice and trackballs and none do the job for me in terms of comfort for long periods of use, I always end up with pain in the fingers, wrist, forearm or shoulder. Sometimes in multiple of places at the same time.

Kensington Expert Mouse - With this, I find that my hand always wants to lean over to the right towards my little finger, so then my index finger is only on the ball, I then end up curling my fingers up to rotate the ball, button placement is just plain awkward for me, I can use the left click with my thumb OK, but others I have to look to see where they are. I also find that without the supplied wrist rest that my hand is tilted upwards from the wrist to much. With the supplied rest it is too easy for my hand to slide forward and then have the ball in the palm of may hand. The scroll ring works fine. I also had to download and install Mouseworks for XP as no software supplied, which works well. There is also Trackballworks software for XP/Vista/7 but I did not try that.
Overall it is is a good trackball and works well but just not for comfortable enough for me.

Others I have tried the following:-

Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 - Good concept, held arm/wrist in a better position, but too small and fingers still get curled up using the buttons and mouse wheel, hand does not sit in the place it is designed to so ends up with the little finger running on the desk and hence causing pain.

3M Ergonomic Optical Mouse Large - Again a good concept holding arm/wrist in a better position, again it is too small for my hand and holding it in position designed for cramps my little finger against the base of the mouse causing pins and needles. Mouse wheel replacement(button) does not work in a lot of software so makes it useless, also uses standard windows mouse driver and you have to wind the mosue speed up full to get it to do anything, then making normal mice useless as they are too fast.

Logitech Marble Mouse - So far this has been the most comfortable to use, but is not very accurate.

Normal mice - I end up gripping the sides of the mouse with thumb and little finger, other fingers curled up to use buttons and scroll wheel.

Wacom Tablets - takes a long time to adjust to the completely different way of working and I end up with severe pains in my hand from gripping the pen, which I do get with a normal pen and after a while my accuracy has gone all over the place.

So I have spent a lot of maoney on variosu mice/trackballs and all to some degree or another are just not good enough for my size hands.

Back to the drawing board, with pain in fingers/wrist/forearm and shoulder :(

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough for me., 10 Oct 2011
The 3M Ergonomic Optical Mouse (Wired) is a neat vertical mouse replacement and will suit a lot of people that fall within the size guide on the 3M website. I am one of those that does not my hands are bigger than that recommended, 115mm-120mm across the palm, I suspect I also have longer fingers than the product was designed for as well, so my hand ends up being squashed down onto my little (pinky) finger causing pins and needles in the hand/finger after about 2 hours constant use.

Do not get me wrong it is a well thought out design, I had no problem getting used to the thumb (left/right) mouse button and having my hand vertical rather than twisted flat like a conventional mouse does help the pain in my wrists and shoulders to stay away for much longer also because of the thumb mouse buttons, my index/middle fingers are not curled up trying to press the buttons and/or scroll wheel on a conventional mouse.

Another problem that I found was if I use the 3M mouse with a mouse mat with a gel wrist rest I ended up twisting the mouse rather than sliding it about, i.e. leaving wrist in position and then bending the hand to move left and right, not good.

The 3rd mouse button, scroll wheel function !!! does not work in a lot of programs or even within certain windows dialogue boxes, making it pretty useless. I doi not think this is a problem of the mouse rather than no dedicated driver/software for it and relying on the default mouse software built into Windows.

Also I had to turn up the mouse speed to full to get it move at a rate I would like, but then all my mice/roller balls ran at that speed which was too fast. Again a fault becuase of the lack of dedicated drivers/software.

If those problems could be ironed out it would be a brilliant mouse.

Due to my hand size I have trouble with 90% of mice/rollerballs and this is no exception.

Offered by Upgrade Central
Price: 75.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for large hands., 4 July 2011
Evoluent Right Handed Vertical Mouse 4 Ergonomic Mouse
This mouse does look nice and the position it puts you wrist/hand in is very comfortable, but due to the size of my hands it is not for me, I do have large hands, 220mm from tip of index finger to first crease in wrist and 110mm across the palm at the knuckle joints.
This causes my pinky(little) finger to rest/drag on the mouse mat rather than rest on the ledge of the mouse. My fingers extend 25mm beyound the ends of the mouse buttons, which would cause me to curl my fingers back into a claw, not good.
Most probably due to my hand not fitting the mouse properly I kept triggering the 3rd mouse button (default assigned to right click), the sensitivity of this one mouse button seemed very light.

There is no mention of the size of this product, not that I could see other than a mention of there being a smaller version. The approx size is as follows:- On the base 110mm long, 85mm wide and is 80mm tall.

I am sure people who have a more normal size hand will find this mouse very good, but for me and for the reasons stated above I can only give it 3 stars.