Profile for L. M. Vaughan > Reviews

Content by L. M. Vaughan

L. M. Vaughan "vaughan" (Grimsby, UK)

The Future Is Medieval
The Future Is Medieval
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 5.84

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm..., 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Future Is Medieval (Audio CD)
The retail version has some great tracks on, for sure. But in my opinion they have decided to leave some of the strongest tracks off the retail version of the album (problem solved, saying something, my place is here, back in december and can't mind my own business). A shame, if they replaced some of the weaker, very dodgy '80's' sounding tracks (heard it break, out of focus et al) with these more instant - catchier tracks, it could have been killer.

Make your own album. Ignore this retail version.

Blood Pressures
Blood Pressures
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Blood Pressures (Audio CD)
I agree with the above. Much more refined than their previous material, which I also like. It feels more polished, but still retains the rough sound that they are known for. Loads of depth to the sound and some killer songs on here, my favorite of theirs. Buy it!

Primary Colours
Primary Colours
Price: 7.83

5.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Primary Colours (Audio CD)
I must admit, I only liked about four songs on the Horrors debut. This, a very different beast is great from start to finish. It almost feels like the missing link between My bloody valentine and Jesus and the Marychain.

Vocally and musically hardly anything like their noisy debut. Although still not exactly accessible to the masses, it should gain them new fans. A massive change in sound and direction and frankly all the better for it. A brilliant second album.

Only by the Night
Only by the Night
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.64

2.0 out of 5 stars Big let down. A boring KOL album?, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Now this is a real shame. After hearing the killer tracks "Crawl" and "Sex on fire" I was very excited about this release from one of my favourite bands.

The first four tracks are awesome, possibly, the best stuff they have recorded. After track four it all goes downhill. Full of "lighters in the air" slow songs. Not the rocky output most people will be expecting. This wouldn't be so bad, but all of the songs are unmemorable and don't go anywhere. I hate to say it, but it's almost...boring.

Buy with caution.

Mirrored
Mirrored
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious Rubbish, 10 Jan 2008
This review is from: Mirrored (Audio CD)
I like "math rock" but this is Just awful. Musically interesting but ruined by alien high-pitched vocals. Completely pretentious. Sounds like the kind of music that Chris Morris composed for Jam and Brass Eye, which is ironic, because this is the type of music he was clearly aping.

Considering this is math rock I think this band need to do thier sums before recording the next one.

This Boy Don't Care
This Boy Don't Care
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked Genius, 4 Oct 2006
This review is from: This Boy Don't Care (Audio CD)
I heard about this guy in Artrocker magazine of all places. I found the album cheap on amazon and was sick to death of hearing the same records over and over so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm pleased I did, this album is fantastic and deserves a lot more press and coverage that it has had.

A brilliant artist, and certainly a massively overlooked one.