Profile for A. M. Jones > Reviews

Content by A. M. Jones

A. M. Jones (Here, of course?)

Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard (PC)
Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey I Can See My Keyboard Again, 13 April 2007
We needed a new keyboard to replace the one which came with the Advent PC we bought in 2002. The keys on it were pale grey letters/numbers on grey blue keys and the characters had worn away so much we felt like we had cataracts. I can touch type but still found it difficult and my hubby is hunt and peck so he had no hope on dark winter mornings. We wanted an illuminated keyboard and a web search found the Saitek Eclipse II.

Good? bad??? indifferent????

Reviews varied (as usual) but hey you gotta go for it.

I am sitting in pitch darkness (apart from the monitor) typing this review and the letters on the keyboard shine bright enough. They are not in your face bright but god, are they an improvement on our old keyboard. I would say purple is brightest, followed by red, followed by blue. A lot of it has to do with the dazzle from the monitor. Even if some keys are a bit dim (the numeric keypad mentioned in another review), you have some idea where they are as the background is lit up and you can recognise their location. I feel its like a TV remote control - you get used to where buttons are and you do things innately.

The feel of the keyboard is different to our last one (quieter? possibly). The keys do feel nice when typing. The space bar looked smaller than other keyboards but have no probs with it. Have not attached the wrist rest - nor should I. Wrists should be up when typing and not resting on anything (but that a whole different ball game). Delete button is in an entirely different place (our old one is where the volume button is now) but again you get used to it.

Overall we're plenty satisfied with this keyboard.

Regarding the delivery - was quick even though used Super Saver Delivery. Last year bought some travel speakers and they took what seems now like an eternity to be delivered but the keyboard arrived within 5 days.

Good all round.