Profile for marijean@mcs.net > Reviews

Content by marijean@mcs.net

marijean@mcs.net (Chicago, United States)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1): Adult Edition
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1): Adult Edition
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age., 28 Jan. 2001
I was somewhat suspicious of the hype surrounding the Harry Potter books, but when I saw this book laying on our endtable I picked it up. I am a US college student with very little time, but I made time to finish all the currently available Potter books. It was well worth the effort. By the end of the first few chapters I was in love with Rowling's ideas, characters, writing, and message. Rowling has a style that would be conversational, but is cleaner and smoother. This gives her writing a sense of effortlessness perhaps only seen in children's books--a sense that I think many of us lose as we grow older. It also makes the books remarakably easy and enjoyable to read. By the end of five days I had finished off the first four books and was seriously considering rereading them.
I have recommended this book and all the subsequent books to everyone I know, of all ages. They are intelligent and imaginative without pretention or condescension, making them something everyone can appreciate and learn from. This series more than deserves the "hype" it has recieved, and will certainly far outlast it. I look forward to reading these books to my own children someday.