Profile for Angela Shaw > Reviews

Content by Angela Shaw

Angela Shaw (Bristol, S Gloucs United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, Last Veteran of the Trenches, 1898-2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another book about the Great War!, 2 Nov. 2014
Harry Patch was a peaceable man, but one with definite opinions. He never really saw why he , or any other, was required to go to war, and his experiences in it remained too raw to talk about for most of his life. The final years of his very long life gave him the chance to confront and defeat his demons, and then to speak out as the voice of the ordinary private. This collaboration is always respectful, and puts Harry's views and memories into context. Harry himself reminds us that the war, traumatic as it was, was only one chapter in a long and interesting life. I live near Combe Down, and I found Harry's memories of his childhood there particularly interesting and entertaining, as are his jawdropping memories of working on the Wills Memorial Building in Bristol. This book is a really good read, for anyone interested in the history of the 20th century through the eyes of an extraordinary "ordinary" man

Call Saint Nuisance Call Blocker ®
Call Saint Nuisance Call Blocker ®
Offered by Call Saint Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars and we found it easy to set up, 29 Oct. 2014
This is neat and compact, and we found it easy to set up. However, it has no preset list of blocked calls, unlike some of the dearer models. Our biggest problem was that it only allows you to block ALL withheld numbers; there is no way of discriminating between them. We found that it was blocking legitimate mobile numbers, even if we entered them into our telephone directory list. I think we need a more expensive, more fully featured model; at any rate, we are returning this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 1:59 PM GMT

Trekking poles Star Rover® - black colour hiking poles - easy adjustable walking poles telescopic for trekking and hiking with carry bag - extremely robust - anti-shock-system - great hand grip - 30-day money-back guarantee - Enjoy more Vitality, more Safety and more Fun with Star Rover® Walking Poles!
Offered by Amipe

5.0 out of 5 stars These are very comfortable and lightweight, 28 Aug. 2014
These are very comfortable and lightweight. I am less than 5' tall, and often poles don't adjust down enough for me without collapsing altogether, but these are fine. Less fiddly to adjust than many I've known!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2015 8:17 AM BST

The Last Telegram
The Last Telegram

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm and gripping story, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Last Telegram (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and read it in two days. Like all this writer's books it is written simply but beautifully, and the characters are fully drawn, complex and likeable.

1 Kg Salveo Indian Soap Nuts Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent Vegetarian Society Approved
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should use soap nuts!, 16 May 2014
I have been using soap nuts for about 18 months now, and would never use detergents again. They smell slightly odd, but this does not get into the washing. They are environmentally friendly, economical, and leave the washing clean and soft.

Twinings Darjeeling Loose Tea 125 g (Pack of 4)
Twinings Darjeeling Loose Tea 125 g (Pack of 4)
Offered by E.U. Xtores

5.0 out of 5 stars Loose tea- the joy!, 16 May 2014
We are loose tea buffs. Looseleaf Darjeeling has recently disappeared from most supermarkets, so we were pleased to find this.

Thumbs Up UK World Travel Clock with Built in Torch
Thumbs Up UK World Travel Clock with Built in Torch

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy and clear readout, 16 May 2014
This is lightweight, and has a clear readout. It's a bit fiddly to set, because the buttons are at the back, and the snooze/backlight button on top is very sensitive, and kept beeping annoyingly in my luggage- I now take the batteries out while travelling! I do like the ease of changing timezones, and the useful torch. As another reviewer noted, you can't read the time while using the torch, but I have never yet felt the need to!

Year of the Hare, The
Year of the Hare, The
by Arto Paasilinna

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Finnish!, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Year of the Hare, The (Paperback)
Bought this before a trip to Finland, and have realised it reflects the very dry sense of humour of the Finns. It's a short read, and very entertaining, as well as quite moving in places. Also actually quite informative about Finland, and the relationship between the North and the South

Evernote
Evernote

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Evernote!, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Evernote (App)
I have only just discovered this app, and have it on my PC and Kindle Fire. It's brilliant for capturing info from a variety of sources, and making it all available within Notebooks. Particularly useful if you have a number of projects on the go. I especially like the fact that I can set it to make everything available offline, and it synchs between various platforms. It doesn't take long to master, and it's really really useful- has revolutionised my use of my Kindle Fire.

EverWebClipper for Evernote
EverWebClipper for Evernote

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful addition to Evernote, 16 May 2014
This review is from: EverWebClipper for Evernote (App)
This app lets you capture (in a variety of forms) web pages, and synch them to Evernote. It means you can easily rea webpages offline, on your PC or Kindle. It's really quick to use; I love it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3