Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

d-c-fix® Table Cloth Metal Clip (4 in pack)
d-c-fix® Table Cloth Metal Clip (4 in pack)
Offered by Create Your World

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for a light weight table cloth and/or narrow topped table., 14 Nov 2013
These clips arrived promptly, and looked great, but I have quite a thick topped wooden table with an oilcloth on top, and unfortunately they aren't up to the job! They keep "pinging" off, as they are not very strong. Disappointing.

Ecoair DD122FW MK5 Desiccant Classic Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, effective and great customer service!, 14 Nov 2013
I purchased this item at the end of October 2013. It arrived promptly, but unfortunately within an hour I realised it wasn't working! I called Eco-Air and, as I live locally to their office, was able to arrange to swap the unit the next day. When I arrived at their office they were extremely helpful and apologetic, swapped the unit, tested it for me there and then and gave me a spare filter for my trouble! Since then the new unit has worked perfectly. I had particular trouble with condensation in the main bedroom, which is now eliminated - the clothes in my wardrobe are now dry and I am very happy. Despite the initial problems the fact they were sorted so quickly and efficiently (special thanks to Damion and Walter), and the way the unit has worked since then means I have given them 5 stars and would not hesitate to recommend them - in fact I already have done to a number of friends!

The Harvest
The Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful subject wrapped up in easy to read thriller format., 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Harvest (Kindle Edition)
This was truly one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read - but difficult to review without making it sound heavy! Which it really is NOT! It is similar in style to a good crime thriller, fast paced and with quite a few twists.

When I started to read it I did wonder what on earth sort of book it was - Chapter One reads like a lecture on religion/philosophy... because that's what it is. Don't be put off (I know I was!) - carry on reading and you realise it is introducing you to the hero of the book, Reese Johnson - a professor of theology (or something like that!). He gets an odd request from the FBI to meet someone they have in custody - they need his expertise to verify the identity of the person in question. Except the question is (spoiler alert!), is he a person or is he in fact God?

As someone brought up C of E but now atheist I found this a very intriguing idea. The book is definitely written from a Christian perspective (with a dollop of Judaism too!), but the story covers not just religion (is it a good thing?) but also how the universe was created, what is God anyway, and what would we do if this really happened and God did come to visit? See, I told you it would sound heavy! The point is, it's a really intriguing mystery thriller that happens to cover some controversial topics in a thought provoking way. I read it almost a year ago, and it's still with me - and for a prolific reader like me that's really something.

I highly recommend this book, particularly if you fancy reading something a bit different - it is a very easy to read style (once you're over the first few pages!) and hard to put down once you're hooked!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read with engaging characters & a fun plot!, 19 Jan 2013
I found this book a real joy to read. The plot is fantastic (as in a fantasy, not just "very good"!) in the Forrest Gump style and I liked the "reported" style of writing. So for instance rather than having it written: "Good Afternoon," he said. "How can I help you?". it's written: "he wished him a good afternoon and then asked him if there was some way he could be of service." If that sounds a bit pretentious it really isn't meant to be - it actually reminded me of a newspaper report, which lends a note of authenticity to the story. Not an easy thing to achieve in a plot where the hero is somehow involved in an astounding number of 20th Century major events! I would say that the writer has a lot of affection for his hero, which is definitely not something you could say for the political leaders we meet along the way - the author has a lovely eye for comic detail and tongue in cheek style which had me laughing out loud on my commute to work! Despite the incredible adventures Allan (the 100 year old hero of the book) has, the plot never feels contrived (due in no small part to the style of writing I think), and I couldn't wait to see where Allan would end up next. The plot does include flashbacks, which gradually build up the full picture of Allan's remarkable life, but the chapters are clearly marked with dates and it doesn't slow down the pace of the story at all. This is a good fun read - I really enjoyed it and have already recommended it to a number of friends.

Brilliant book of calm (52 Brilliant Ideas)
Brilliant book of calm (52 Brilliant Ideas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Some great ideas, written with humour and a realistic tone., 13 Jan 2012
This book is not a "self-help" book so much as a chat with a good friend, suggesting ideas you may find helpful in dealing with stresses in life. It does not claim to deal with serious depression or other mental health issues, or see itself as a replacement for therapy. It is ideally suited to those of us who dislike being told what to do - but instead just gently suggests some techniques and ideas you might like to try. Each chapter is very short, tackling a single idea or issue, so it is perfect for the bedside table - you can dip in for just a few minutes a day. Ideal for those of us living a busy life where time is in our most precious commodity (ie most of us!). Written in a very "un-preachy" way with loads of humour, it appealed to my cynical side - I am not in the least bit "new-age" or hippy, but will definitely return to this book time and again.

Proper Job
Proper Job

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun read - highly recommended!, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Proper Job (Kindle Edition)
This is a really funny novel! Ian Hocking beautifully describes the awkwardness of being 17, with some wonderfully written passages that literally had me snorting with laughter - not a good look while sitting on the tube! Some of the speech is a little tricky to decipher - try reading it out loud (quietly if you are on public transport!) to help understand the Cornish dialect used. The characterisation is excellent, and the storyline, although far fetched in places, never feels contrived. A real gem of a book!