Profile for Le Sheek > Reviews

Manhattan [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Woody Allen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars When Woody wasn't a self-parody, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Manhattan [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I watched 'To Rome with Love' at the cineman recently and as soon as Woody started talking, I cringed. What has happened to him? It seems like he's incapable of writing any other kind of version of himself. As for the film, it was okay, but didn't have much to say.

Manhattan is the opposite of that. It has something to say. Or maybe Woody has always had the same thing to say and just decided to keep saying it over and over. I love the way Woody is so changeable in Manhattan, as are Diane Keaton and his best friend. Their feelings keep changing and they have to try and keep up and figure out what they really want, if anything. Even at the end, you don't know if Woody will wait those six months. My guess is no, he won't.

A Hero of Our Time
A Hero of Our Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and brilliant [for its time]..., 4 Sept. 2012
Okay, the theme of this book [manipulative man seeks passive woman] has been done in much more extreme ways since Lermontov was around, but it's still great. I think it might be because the 'hero' of this story is absent most of the time and we only learn about him from his diary entries or second hand accounts. And this is a great use of diary technique as Pechorin doesn't hold back about what he's trying to do, why would he, it's supposed to be his diary.

The other thing that makes it so good is the self-awareness of the main character. He knows what he is and what he's doing to women and he does try to think about why he's doing it. He realises it doesn't make him a God, although he is a bit full of himself at times.

Buy, buy, buy!

The Seducer's Diary (Penguin Great Loves)
The Seducer's Diary (Penguin Great Loves)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Lermontov..., 4 Sept. 2012
This is done quite well, in the vein of Neil Labute or Bel Ami, where the guy is just young and full of himself and thinks he can manipulate any woman he sees. However, it is quite dull in places. 'Hero of our time' is similar in theme to this and much better as the male character is more devious/interesting. Buy that one first then this.

"Miss Lonelyhearts" and "The Day of the Locust" (New Directions Paperbook)
"Miss Lonelyhearts" and "The Day of the Locust" (New Directions Paperbook)
by Nathanael West

5.0 out of 5 stars Please bring this writer back to life..., 31 July 2012
I studied Miss Lonelyhearts at school and even then I could tell it was brilliant. You know, when you are a teen, it's hard to care about writers who have been dead for years, but West was different. His characters. his dialogue, it all felt authentic and bright.

Day of the Locust is pretty good too, but Lonelyhearts is better, I think. Such a shame that West died so young, I wish he could've written more.

Samaritan Girl [DVD] [2004]
Samaritan Girl [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ji-min Kwak
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars unusual film from a unique director, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Samaritan Girl [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This movie was a bit cliche and silly for the first 30 minutes. There is some serious melodrama to get through, especially when one of the characters dies, I didn't know if I could be bothered watching the rest of it, even though I like the director's other films.

However, there is a character switch about halfway through that takes this film in a much more interesting direction. I love the way the director ends the film. I guess I can't spoil it by writing about it, but it's just the last thing you expect, and it finds a kind of beauty in a lot of quiet moments.