Profile for J. Wickins > Reviews

LIFE IS A GAME , Badminton IS SERIOUS !!! Womens T-Shirt
LIFE IS A GAME , Badminton IS SERIOUS !!! Womens T-Shirt
Offered by Idakoos

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made, but needs size guidance, 22 Jan. 2015
Well-made tee-shirt. Bought as a present, I have been informed that it is a tight over the chest, though usually large would fit more loosely.

Shady Characters - The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks
by Keith Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 7 Jan. 2015
An excellent book, printed on good quality paper and with a lot of thought given to the printing. The content is quite geeky, which suits me - I am now much better informed about the history of the symbols we use to communicate, and the history of printing. I had finished the book within a week even with a busy Christmas period, testifying to its ease of reading and compulsive topic.

Kingston Technology 16 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 26 Nov. 2014
Sturdy stainless steel flash drive. Easy to attach to a key ring. Excellent value flash drive with plenty of capacity.

FLOSO® Mens Plain Thinsulate Thermal Peaked Flat Cap (3M 40g) (59cm) (Green)
FLOSO® Mens Plain Thinsulate Thermal Peaked Flat Cap (3M 40g) (59cm) (Green)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cap, 19 Nov. 2014
This is a very comfortable cap. Warm and waterproof. It is easy to fold it up to but in a pocket, so is better than a baseball cap.

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, 28 Mar. 2014
Fun movie. It is good to see several superheroes working together. Robert Downey Jr is his usual abrasive self, Chris Hemsworth develops Thor into a nicer character. A good night in.

Captain America - The First Avenger [DVD]
Captain America - The First Avenger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, 28 Mar. 2014
I was never a great fan of Captain America when I was a child - he never seemed to have any relevance to me, being brought up in England. The movie does a good job of showing some relevance. Chris Evans creates a likeable character (something that seems to have gone out of fashion in movies there days), and the supporting actors do a great job.

The Electric Light Orchestra: 40th Anniversary Edition
The Electric Light Orchestra: 40th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 28 Mar. 2014
ELO's first album neatly shows how they bridged that gap between The Move and the world-class act that was to come later. Great songs, raw production - just great!

Fate is the Hunter
Fate is the Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars A good insight into the early days of commercial flight, 11 Sept. 2013
I am a bit of a flying buff, so this book was always likely to be a hit with me. It details the early years (about mid-30s to late 50s) of long distance commercial flying. Some of the things we take for granted now (such as radar tracking of all flights) was, of course, entirely absent during the period covered by most of this book. Flying to South America from North America was an adventure fraught with danger. The book shows just how much was done in a short time between pioneering flights and the aviation environment we have now.

Since I bought the e-book, it is worth noting that this is well-edited, and I noticed few, if any, of the errors that often creep into ebooks ("rn" being shown as "m", for instance). Congratulations to the publishers on this point.

The only thing spoiling this book for me is the author's writing style. It is too flowery for the subject matter, and it sometimes becomes grating. I appreciate the poetry in flying, but Gann's attempts to capture it come across as forced to me.

Twelve Deadly Cyns ... And Then Some
Twelve Deadly Cyns ... And Then Some
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 11 Sept. 2013
Cyndi Lauper is a singer I have liked since I first heard her back in the 80s, but I never bought any of her stuff until now.

This is a good collection of her work, spanning many years, with some tracks I haven't heard before. Most enjoyable!

Wacky Races - Complete Collection [DVD] [2006]
Wacky Races - Complete Collection [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Wacky Races

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 6 Aug. 2013
I bought this because I had been thinking back to some of the cartoons I watched as a child. Wacky Races was always a favourite of mine.

I had forgotten how inventive this series was - some of the ideas and solutions to problems created are excellent. In addition, I had forgotten the brilliant use of alliteration in the "commentary" to the races!

Something I felt as a child is still there, though - that the episodes were intended to be longer, but were cut down quite brutally to a certain length. There are ideas that appear from nowhere and are thrown away without development, when it seems that there should have been more at each side of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4