Profile for Blye > Reviews

The Greatcoat (Hammer)
The Greatcoat (Hammer)
by Helen Dunmore

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but good, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
This is a quite unusual ghost story. If you get into it though, you will find that it's quite a page turner. It's fairly well written but a bit shorter than I had expected it to be. The pace is quick and you do feel it is hurtling towards something... The author undoubtedly has the ability to create atmosphere and to create characters who evoke a reaction in the reader. I must say that I think it would work very even better as a film, as I think some of the ideas would even more effectively well on screen.

Definitely not a bad book and no reason not to buy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 9:54 PM GMT

Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
by Eric Clapton

3.0 out of 5 stars A good autobiography but not brilliant, 18 April 2012
I really do love some of Eric Clapton's songs but not all of them and this is more or less how I felt about his autobiography.

A lot of it is good but then there are lots of things he leaves out that would have made it much more interesting. For instance, he got to work with some of the greatest musicians in the world but never seems to really tell us what they were like or what he thought about them. And the same sort of thing happens when he's talking about himself and his mistakes and his triumphs. They are mentioned but there isn't much detail or explanation about what he felt about them or why they really came about.

The book certainly does give some insight into his life but for an autobiography it is lacking just a bit too much in terms of details and emotion to be as satisfying a read as it might have been.

Silverline 819722 Digging Fork 1000mm
Silverline 819722 Digging Fork 1000mm

3.0 out of 5 stars For the money, it isn't bad, 27 Jun 2011
For the money, this fork isn't bad. It's certainly very inexpensive, so if you're on a budget and not planning to do too much work with it then it can certainly be recommended.

There is however a clear reason why the fork is so cheap and that is that it is very lightweight and a bit flimsy really. If you are planning to dig up your entire garden then I would most definitely advise against buying it.

So it is really a question of horses for courses. If you just want something cheap to do the odd bit of digging, then why not get a cheap one like this? If on the other hand you are planning to do some serious gardening then really you are going to need to invest in a serious fork because this one simply will not let you get the job done and you will constantly be trying to bend it back into shape.

Baking Made Easy
Baking Made Easy
by Lorraine Pascale

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Baking Made Easy (Hardcover)
This book was a bit of a disappointment really.

I received it as a gift and I always want to appreciate things people give me and so I do appreciate the thought behind it very much. As a book itself though it is not great. True it is printed on lovely glossy paper which is always nice and there are several interesting receipes in it which I have either tried or will try.

However there is a massive over-emphasis in the book on the person of Lorraine Pascale. Admittedly, she is a lovely woman with a lovely smile and I have no doubt that she is very talented but a book on baking should primarily be about... yes, baking! Large parts of the book are taken up bu pictres of Lorraine making things, buying things, staring at things, ingredients sitting looking attractive near to Lorraine. There are also lots of blank spaces, which have clearly been put there to make the layout feel even nicer.

This is all very well and good if you want a book about a celebrity but if you want a book that tells you how to actually bake then this becomes much less useful. The book could really have done with more photographs demonstrating how to execute a recipe rather than how to look like a chef. More photos showing what needs to be done, step by step.

This is a great shame because, as I said, there are a number of good recipes in here but there could have been more and there could have been more images to help one better execute the recipes.

Wonders of the Solar System [DVD]
Wonders of the Solar System [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brian Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 22 May 2011
What a stunning TV series. I watched it when it was on and bought it when it came out. It really is beautifully made and, for someone like me with limited knowledge, presented in a way that was understandable yet not patronising.

Brian Cox is an excellent presenter and his enthusiasm shined through again and again. Understading both our own planet and the solar system around us makes me feel both smaller and also more special, as I come from a species who is able to appreciate all this glory. Definitely recommended for people who want to know more, for people with children, for people who want to appreciate the marvels of existence!

Wonders of the Solar System
Wonders of the Solar System
by Professor Brian Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to accompany the series, 22 May 2011
This is an excellent book to accompany the series. For someone with limited knowledge such as myself, it is presented in a way that is simple enough to understand but with sufficient additions to what is mentioned in the series to make it interesting. The writing is clear and understandable but never patronising.

The pictures are also beautiful and the diagrams make some or the more complex things clearer. The reason I give it four stars rather than five is that there are simply too many pictures in it of Brian Cox, staring into space. Come on guys, this is about astronomy, not male modeling!

Still don't let this put you off the book, if you enjoyed the series, you will enjoy this!

Tarts With Tops On: A Book of Pies: Or How to Make the Perfect Pie
Tarts With Tops On: A Book of Pies: Or How to Make the Perfect Pie
by Tamasin Day-Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice pies but imperfect recipes, 23 Mar 2011
Tarts with tops on does show you how to make some very nice, very tasty pies. They range from the quite simple and traditional through to some very fancy modern types. The pictures are nice and clear and the instructions are not difficult to follow.

There is one major grip that I have with the book however.

All of the cooking guidelines underestimate the time needed in order to ensure that the pies are properly cooked through. I have used a couple of different ovens and the times given are simply unrealistic. This can cause great frustration initially as the pie is never ready when it should be and so can throw out your lunch or dinner plans very easily.

Now that I know this of course, I do my best to adjust the times given and the book does tend to be very useful - as I say, the recipes are otherwise good. But I do think that this is not something every cook should have to do once they have bought a cookery book. No one likes raw chicken pie!

Your Organic Allotment
Your Organic Allotment
by Pauline Pears

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book on growing organic, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Your Organic Allotment (Paperback)
I have found this book useful as an organic gardener.

It has a lot of information in it, presented very clearly for the most part and gives a lot of useful advice on how to keep your organic land healthy and pest free. The diagrams of how to plan your garden to maximise yields and to encourage the right sorts of insects into your garden are extremely useful and well-thought out.

The only reason I do not give it five stars is that there is no really detailed, and yet simple, advice on how to manage a good crop rotation. This is something I have long struggled with and, to my disappointment, the explanation given in the book is not really very clear. Otherwise though, the book was really good. I just hope that they one day issue a revised edition addressing this slight weakness.

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Believers and non should all find this book enchanting., 23 Mar 2011
I think that whether you are a believer or not what this book describes is simply wonderful. The many examples of observable evolution were my favourite bits. They almost make me want to go back to school and study biology.

The massive amount of evidence presented by Dawkins would take an enormous leap of faith to ignore and I honestly cannot imagine why any person of faith would want to ignore it. Evolution seems to me such a miraculous thing, and is so incredibly beautiful, complex and ingenious that I think no matter what someone's philosophical persuasions, they should be able to enjoy it.

A wonderful book, recommended to absolutely everyone of any belief. It can only make you want to celebrate life on earth.

Rock 'n' Blues Harmonica: A World of Harp Knowledge, Songs, Stories, Lessons, Riffs, Techniques and Audio Index for a New Generation of Harp Players
by Jon Gindick

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, as good as you can do with a book and CDs, 23 Mar 2011
I think that this is the best book and CDs that you can buy in order to learn to play the harmonica. It's well set out and the author makes a real effort to explain things in terms that the non musician will understand.

The reason I have to give it 4 stars rather than 5 is that I think it will be difficult for someone to learn to play using the book and CDs along. Some sort of instructor does seem to me to be necessary. Otherwise it really would be a struggle to pick up the harmonica just from the book and CD alone, even though the CD is an excellent aid.

So, buy it, but you may find you also need a bit of help from someone who already plays.

Page: 1 | 2