Profile for KittyCatastrophe > Reviews

Content by KittyCatastrophe

KittyCatastrophe (Norwich)

Sumvision 1080P Phoenix DVD Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sumvision 1080P Phoenix DVD Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Areema Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but problems so far..., 29 Dec 2010
I brought this player because it was cheap and appeared to do everything I needed it to.
After setting it up to HMDI, I was disappointed to see that some of my films were coming out grainy. I've tried out a number of different cables, played around with the TV and DVD settings, and sworn at it a few times, but nothing seems to help. I even brought something that was meant to reduce the fuzz, but that stopped the DVDs playing altogether for some reason! I eventually gave up and decided to go back to the good old scart cable, but I can't play DVDs on that now either! The screen will continuously 'jump' between whatever DVD I'm playing and the TV.
I'm no techno whizz by any means, so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong (in which case any advice would be gratefully received!)
Another annoying little problem is that it has trouble playing certain parts of certain DVDs. For example...I got the 'Pulling' box set for Christmas. On Disc 1, it won't play one of the interviews in the Special Features, but plays everything else fine. On Disc 2, it refuses to play episode 5 and instead decides to make a few loud noises, freeze up, then turn itself off! The discs are brand new so have no scratches on them and they run just fine on other players.
I was just looking for something cheap and cheerful to watch my DVDs on, but it appears as though I may have to dig deep and fork out for something a little pricier and better quality now...

The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 3 [2007] [DVD]
The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 3 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noel Fielding
Offered by WorldCinema

2.0 out of 5 stars A load of mime shards..., 5 Feb 2008
I don't wanna come across as one of the "uberfan - I liked them before they were famous - brigade" because personally I can't stand people like that, but Series 3 just isn't that good :-(

It's got nothing to do with not liking them now that everyone else does - It's got to do with them apparently running out of ideas & Noel Fielding getting too big for his cowboy boots.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad - there were still parts of it that made me laugh, but it now just seems to lack the originality and creatvity of the previous 2 series.

Hopefully Series 4 will see a return to the Boosh that we all know and love.

=^.^=

Ps. I've just been reading the reviews for Eddie Izzard's 'Sexie' DVD (another massive let down!) and I don't see anyone on there being accused of being an Uberfan annoyance. They seem to accept the fact that his earlier stuff was a bucketload better than he's dishing out now - I think a lesson can be learnt here.....

Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
by Kathy O'Beirne

1.0 out of 5 stars Ripped off!, 29 Nov 2007
I brought this book some time ago & was genuinely moved it. The things this poor women went through were truely horrific....
....then I found out that the nasty little woman made it all up! How dare she! There are many people that have actually had to suffer these experiences and are probably too scared, even today, to tell their stories. Not our Kathy, hey? She's all too happy to reap the benefits of telling such a disturbing story of her life without ever actually having to go through any of it herself...well done!

Maybe she should be made to go and speak to some REAL victims of the Laundries to give her some idea of how awful she really is for doing this?

Also...to all those saying 'I do not understand how anyone could believe that Kathy lied about this story. Why would anyone lie about such a horrific past?' or 'i find it very difficult to believe that someone would make up such horrific lies about their past' - you need a reality check.