Profile for alimarcam > Reviews

Content by alimarcam

alimarcam "alimarcam" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Childless Revolution: What it Means to be Childless Today
The Childless Revolution: What it Means to be Childless Today
by Madelyn Cain

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless and Patronising, 7 Aug 2010
One of the reasons I purchased this book was because it said the author had interviewed 100 women about the experience - for whatever reason - of being child-free. While the interviews with the women themselves are very interesting, moving, uplifting and inspirational, the author's style is patronising and disappointing, hence only 1 star.

For women experiencing being child-free - whether by choice or not - to pick up a book and discover on one of the first pages that the writer is not only a mother but has a recurring nightmare that her dream of motherhood has been taken away, I think, is quite cruel.

But one of the main themes that runs through this book, which should warn off particularly women who are not child-free by choice, is that you are a lesser person if you DO NOT have children. Cain recalls the untimely death of a neighbour's child: '[Childless women] would never be subject to the kind of pain Liza was living with and that I was vulnerable to'. So, it's worse to lose a child than to lose a brother, a sister, a mother, a father, even a close friend who has made your life worth living. Let me go and kill myself now!!! Also, 'Parenting for me has been the most expansive, enhancing event of my life. It has made me a happier, more fulfilled human being. I make better choices than I would have done if my daughter had not been in my world'. Yuck! It might be because she's North American, but this is far too personal and nauseating a comment to include in what could otherwise have been an interesting and timely discussion on this issue.

Cain also repeatedly compares herself to Betty Friedan, author of 'The Feminine Mystique'. Betty Friedan she is NOT and to compare herself to Friedan's highly original and thought provoking work is ill-advised to say the very least.

Other irritations regarding the book include comments such as 'The number of women with fertility problems is on the rise' which are not backed up with any statistics and her descriptions of women and their surroundings sound like something out of the 'reader's wives' section of a certain type of magazine, eg, 'Katherine...tall and flaxen-haired', or, 'I asked Sally about adopting. She sat back in a beautiful leather chair.' Who CARES what sort of chair she sat in and what relevance does it have?!?!

So, don't waste your money on this pointless and patronising book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2010 1:28 PM GMT

Britannia Quilted Express Delivery 3ft Single Mattress
Britannia Quilted Express Delivery 3ft Single Mattress

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 July 2010
I needed a mattress urgently for my brother and this product was both excellent value and is very comfortable. Also, we had some slightly complex delivery arrangements and the company could not have been more helpful or done more to make sure we received it as and when we needed it.

Bruder 02660 MB Actros Garbage Truck (Orange)
Bruder 02660 MB Actros Garbage Truck (Orange)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and indestructable!, 12 July 2010
I bought this as a present for my 4 year old godson and he absolutely loves it! He still plays it with it nearly every day and it appears to be indestructable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2010 11:31 AM GMT

Cafe Bleu
Cafe Bleu
Offered by Media Vortex
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Cafe Bleu (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl when it came out in 1984 as an 18 year old and played it to death - it somehow perfectly captured how I was feeling as a teenager. 26 years later, I find it still strikes a chord and has lost none of its freshness or originality.

Ballads of Broadway / Rhythms of Broadway
Ballads of Broadway / Rhythms of Broadway
Offered by jayjayandbob
Price: 19.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!, 12 July 2010
I have been trying to get a hold of a CD copy of these 2 albums for years but they are always prohibitively expensive, so I was delighted when a reasonably priced copy came up for sale. I think Johnny Mathis has an amazing voice and his interpretation of these classics is both original and provocative. I am absolutely delighted that I can now listen to his amazing voice - these albums never fail to bring a smile to my face!

Tavener - The Protecting Veil
Tavener - The Protecting Veil

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 12 July 2010
I was not familiar with Tavener and heard part of The Protecting Veil on Radio 3's 'Private Passions' when the guest was Frieda Hughes. I have to say, it is one of the most original, haunting and beautiful classical music pieces I have ever come across.

Sex & The City 2
Sex & The City 2
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Sex & The City 2 (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant compilation and always makes me smile when I listen to it as it brings back memories of this wonderful film. The only reason I have given it 4 stars rather than 5 is that it doesn't include the big band version of the series title music that was used in the adverts - which I cannot find anywhere!

Playmobil 4269 Police with Thief
Playmobil 4269 Police with Thief
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online
Price: 8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars My godson loves this, 12 July 2010
My 4 year old godson absolutely adores this toy and although it was relatively cheap, it is incredibly robust and is a favourite - will definitely be being more of these for him.

The Mammoth Book of Women's Erotic Fantasies (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Women's Erotic Fantasies (Mammoth Books)
by Sonia Florens

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but Nancy Friday is still the best, 12 July 2010
I found some of the writing highly original and erotically charged, but most of it very dull - so a bit of a mixed bag and not as erotic or indeed interesting as anything compiled by Nancy Friday.

Heart Full of Wine / Chocolates & Cigarettes
Heart Full of Wine / Chocolates & Cigarettes

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but only really bought for one track., 12 July 2010
I definitely prefer Julia Stone's voice and songs to those of her brother - she has a haunting fragility that is incredibly moving - but I found the songs he sang to be very pedestrian.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12