Profile for Joseph Stalin > Reviews

Content by Joseph Stalin

Joseph Stalin "Icewarrior" (N E England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
HTC One X Premium PU Leather Flip Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black
HTC One X Premium PU Leather Flip Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

5.0 out of 5 stars A great case for the defence . . ., 4 Feb 2013
. . . of your HTC One X plus [or One X].
Firstly it arrived very quickly and was well packaged.
It is well made and my phone fits snuggly into the plastic back casing which has cut outs for the micro usb on the left and the volume control on the right.
On the back there are cut-outs for the camera lens and flash and at the bottom for the speaker.
The case is lightly padded and feels good to hold and the camera is easy to use after opening the front flap - it does however add some bulk to the thickness of the phone. This of course is to be expected as it is designed to offer protection.
The headphone socket is easily accessible when the case is closed but the downside is that the headphone plug needs to be removed from the phone in order to be able to open the case.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, comfortable and keeps out draughts, 1 Feb 2013
I bought this for a relative as a part of a Christmas present and she is over the moon about it.
It comes with the cover which needs to be put on and after that it just needs to be given a shake every day or so.
It enfolds you as you sit in it so as to stop any cold draughts getting to lower back and sides of body and upper thighs.
A very good product which looks good and does an excellent job.

Grunwerg Windsor Buffet Fork x4
Grunwerg Windsor Buffet Fork x4
Offered by Everyday Electrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a "Knork" with these?, 1 Feb 2013
I bought a Knork [ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knork-Knife-Fork-in-One/dp/B000P1OXMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359729261&sr=8-1 ] for £10.95 and these buffet forks at 4 for £2.99 and these do the better job.
They are very nice quality, heavily chromed, no rough edges and just the right shape to use as a fork as well as being able to cope with thick liquids.
They also have a slightly serrated edge which is just right for right handed use. I haven't tried them for meat as I don't eat meat but for other foods I have found them to be great for one handed use.
Definitely useful and really great value.

Knork - Knife & Fork in One!
Knork - Knife & Fork in One!
Offered by Mobility Smart

3.0 out of 5 stars Use of heavy weapon, 19 Jan 2013
This weapon was delivered very quickly and well packaged.
It is well made and seems to be very good quality and as you can see in the product photograph it comes in its own cylindrical tube - very nice and would probably make a nice sculpture to display on your living space shelves.

However it is very heavy and as such I shall not be using it . . . but I may display it as a work of art.

Mens Coolers Brand Warm Fleece Microsuede Two Tone Slip On Mule Clog Slipper 361
Price: £6.20 - £12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 17 Jan 2013
They arrived quickly but strangely needed to be signed for.
They seem to be good quality but do not have a fleecy lining - they are not as warm as they appear.
They also have thick [about 3/4 inch thick] soles and as a result are very heavy and not ever so flexible.
I guess that they would be fine to wear outside as long as the weather is not too cold but I really do not like them so will not be wearing them any time soon.
That said they do look really nice so I would imagine that they will appeal to many people.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good . . ., 16 Jan 2013
I wanted a new way to vapourise incense oil and pot pourri for fragrancing my rooms. In order to find out the best way I did a lot of internet research and found my way to Arizer. After reading many highly positive reviews and high praise for the device I decided to purchase one. The latest version with the tuff cyclone bowl seemed the way to go.

It arrived quickly and was extreemly well packaged and contains a lot of extras - extra screens etc.
The quality is excellent and so is the range of facilities in the unit. What I initially thought of as a gimick is the remote control but it is a very quick and easy way to change the fan speed which has off and three on speeds. It also allows you to change the heat settings and even to add temperature by one degree at a time.
It is possible to take the heater temp up to 260 degrees but remember that this is the heater temp and not the vaping temperature - that is a little lower as the cool air is drawn in at the base of the unit and then passed over the heater and up to the cyclone bowl where the pot pourri is placed.
This degree of customisation allows for a wide range of density of aroma to be gained from this unit. The aroma can be allowed to rise on its own or it can be forced via the use of the fan. From there it can be drawn off using the whip or into a storage bag, a couple of which are included in the package.

Do I think it is worth the money? . . . Yes, but it is a bit of a luxury product . . . buy it if you want to add a bit of indulgence in your room fragrancing.

A Quiet Vendetta
A Quiet Vendetta

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brit who writes of America like a British writer, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Quiet Vendetta (Kindle Edition)
I have read several of R J Ellory's books but thankfully there are still some more left to read [his later books as I am going through from earliest to now] - I tend to "save them as a treat" along with Robert Goddard, Lee Child and David Baldacci - all of them are wonderful story tellers.
I am not going to get into the plot of this tale too much as it is great to discover all of it for yourself.

It starts off with a little bit of background about the man, Ernesto Perez who is the main protagonist of the story. He is a Cuban who came from a very violent father in the area around New Orleans. This shaped his life and most of the book is centered around him telling his lifestory to Ray Hartman due to his kidnapping the teenage daughter of a Louisiana congressman.
If you have already read any of his books you will already know of the twists and turns in his stories and this one is just like that - lots of fascinating detail which is allowed to surface slowly and keep you wanting to know more without wanting the story to end.
What more should I say? If you like well crafted, well told stories in the character driven style where the plot unravels slowly and surely rather than fast paced breathless tales then this may be for you.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars An upgrade from the Kindle Keyboard . . ., 28 Dec 2012
First of all let me say that I didn't buy my Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon this time but from Tesco because of the loyalty points [Amazon: are you listening? . . . loyalty points for your loyal customers . . . please ] - it's still the same price though, so no savings at Tes and Co.

I bought it yesterday and I have already fallen in love with it - I am cheating on my Kindle Keyboard which has been my constant companion since November 2010 [and yes I did buy that one from Amazon . . . :) - I like Amazon . . . are you listening Amazon: LOYALTY POINTS for your loyal customers!

Is it worth the upgrade? - ABSOLUTELY . . . go and buy one! - I put that bit here in case you don't want to read the rest of my ramblings.

Cons first: yes there is a slight shadow at the bottom of the screen, but the emphasis is on the SLIGHT and I do not find it annoying or intrusive. It's there but only slight - if you are an absolute perfectionist it might annoy you, otherwise it's fine.
The battery will not last quite as long between charges, but we will still get a long time to read and the charging is quick.
The storage space is less - I have over 400 books and documents on my KK, many of which are PDFs and I still have only used about 400MB - loads of room left so that shouldn't be a problem.

Pros: well everything else really - the screen area is exactly the same as my KK but the pixel density is much higher which means that the type is sharper - not that it was unsharp on the KK but this is nicer to read even without the light.
Ah yes, the light. This is superb - 24 levels of brightness from off to full.
Off - exactly the same as the Kindles before it
I currently have mine set at level 12 and find that to be just right for me but it is such a huge leap in reading pleasure to have a really white page without it being like reading a computer or tablet scree . . . like reading a book in fact.
Full, for me is a bit too bright but I think it would be fine in bright sunlight - it's just that we haven't been having a great deal of that lately so I couldn't check it out.
And then there is size and weight . . . smaller and quite a bit lighter than my KK so that's got to be a plus.

Finally, there is the Cloud storage of all you purchases from Amazon [e.books and e.magazines obviously, not your new plasma tv and those socks you bought for uncle Bob] are stored on the cloud for you to download just about instantly. I was part way through a book [if you are interested it is "A Quiet Vendetta" by R.J.Ellory an English writer who writes as an American but with a truely English style - a great story teller] on my KK, got my new Paperwhite home, switched it on [after careful unpacking and it was fully charged] straight into a very quick and easy tutorial and then clicked onto cloud and there were all of the books I had purchased from Amazon so . . . a click on "A Quiet Vendetta" and it was on my new toy opened at the <sync'd> correct page and much nicer to read.

What else? ah yes touch screen - no physical buttons on the Paperwhite except for the on/off button at the bottom. There is a VERY slight texture to the screen - you could almost believe it was quality paper you are swiping with your finger as you turn the page . . . and the page turns/changes SO MUCH QUICKER and smoother than my Keyboard Kindle 3 - you may already have enjoyed the touch screen of the Kindle Touch and the much smaller size but I hadn't so all of that was very welcome to me but the white screen and really crisp text takes it to a new level [my goodness, I'm preaching] . . .

Now if the Kindle could be made to smell of old paper and ink . . . :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 10:17 PM GMT

Lifemax/RNIB Men's Talking Atomic Watch 407 with Strap
Lifemax/RNIB Men's Talking Atomic Watch 407 with Strap
Offered by Fenetic Wellbeing

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax atomic watch, 26 Dec 2012
This watch was bought as a present for an elderly relative whose sight is still fairly good but not as good as she gets tired and the atomic bit was necessary as she is always checking the time [now I guess she will be checking to make sure that it is right . . . ]

As this was bought for Christmas it hasn't had much use but it was so easy to set up - literally pushing in and holding a button . . . it took a few minutes to connect and set itself and that was it - easy-peasy [sorry about that, don't know what came over me . . . ]

The style is classic, it has a leather strap and it is easy to set up and use.

RØDE Deadkitten Furry Windshield Microphone for Stereo VideoMics
RØDE Deadkitten Furry Windshield Microphone for Stereo VideoMics

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead kitten . . ., 17 Sep 2012
OK before we start . . . when I opened the package the kitten was already dead and had been embalmed and mummified . . . it seemed such a shame to break such a wonderful and expensive thing but needs must . . . and I must write a bit of a review . . . :)

I bought this to fit on my recent purchase of the RØDE video stereo mic [which in itself is superb! but does need help with wind noise]
What a difference.
Wind noise almost eliminated but as far as I can tell it is totally transparent to everything else.
Of course some sound lab tech guy will say that it does colour the sound but my ears cannot detect it.
One thing to be aware of though is that the fur is around 50 - 60 mm long and depending on the placement of the microphone on the camera can result in occasional appearances of a bit of flapping fur in the top/side of your shot.
If you shoot video outside and have the RØDE video stereo mic then you need this er . . . well like you need a dead kitten!

The microphone is a true stereo mic and I use it on a Panasonic HC-X900 [which has very good sound capability - indoors; outdoors even the slightest breeze causes a lot of wind noise . . . as an aside comment there is a solution to this wind noise on this, and I guess other similar cameras - there are wind muffs available to fit onto the flatish surfaces where the microphones are sited. One is made by RØDE and the other is by MICROMUFF [Micromuff Fat Boy Wind Muffler ] and is available on Amazon for £12.95 - the Micromuff works well [I haven't used the one from RØDE but I have the DEADKITTEN and a muffler also from RØDE for Olympus LS-10 digital audio recorder and they work very well]

Page: 1 | 2 | 3