Profile for Dr. Sarah Pennington > Reviews

Content by Dr. Sarah Penn...

Dr. Sarah Pennington (UK)

Pear Shaped: The Funniest Book So Far This Year About Brain Cancer
Pear Shaped: The Funniest Book So Far This Year About Brain Cancer

5.0 out of 5 stars I genuinely doubted that a book about coping with a ..., 5 April 2015
I genuinely doubted that a book about coping with a GBM would have moments of laugh out loud humour. I was wrong. Well written, amusing, and thought provoking.

XCSOURCE® Profeshional Portable Magnesium Aluminium Alloy Tripod Monopod & Ball Head For DSLR SLR Camera DV Canon Nikon Petax Sony Tripod Q-555 Max Height: 55.9", Max Load: 8KG LF393
Offered by TaiChuDa

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty lightweight, and handy carrying bag, 15 Mar. 2015
Arrived promptly. Admittedly, (almost) all the instructions appear to be in Chinese, but the design is sufficiently practical and intuitive that this posed no problems. Pretty lightweight, and handy carrying bag, also positives.

To Train Up a Child: Turning the hearts of the fathers to the children
To Train Up a Child: Turning the hearts of the fathers to the children
by Michael Pearl

1.0 out of 5 stars Sickening - this is child abuse, 21 Nov. 2013
Having read about this online, I thought "surely the stories are exaggerated". I have read the "preview" section, and feel physically sick. From the outset, this vile publication is advocating physical and emotional child abuse. And to try to claim that this is a "Christian" approach? I am aghast. Amazon should withdraw this obscenity.

Melanie's Marvelous Measles
Melanie's Marvelous Measles
by Stephanie Messenger

1.0 out of 5 stars Is there a way to give less than 1 star?, 1 Jan. 2013
This is dangerous, unscientific rubbish. I have seen a child take years to die slowly, horrendously, of the progressive brain damage caused as a side effect of measles. I have seen previously healthy children in intensive care, with chickenpox. I remember vividly the first child I ever met whose mother had rubella in pregnancy: blind, deaf, knackered heart, and brain damaged. I have seen the HiB immunisation come in, making epiglottitis and HiB meningitis virtually things of the past. I have seen pneumococcal vaccine introduced, and have rejoiced to see the dramatic fall in kids dying or brain damaged from pneumococcal meningitis. I have seen the consequences of vaccine scares, with babies and children desperately sick from entirely preventable diseases. Immunisation is probably the single greatest invention of medical science, greater even than antibiotics: and I say that despite it being antibiotics that saved my life. Please, please, as you love your children and would protect them from speeding cars, or vicious dogs, protect them from the invisible threat of preventable disease: immunise.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2015 8:00 PM GMT

Pay Your Taxes
Pay Your Taxes

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, succinct, gets the message across, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Pay Your Taxes (Kindle Edition)
I admit I was a little dubious about this title. Clearly self-published, and rather short, I feared this would be another case of vanity publishing gone mad. How wrong could I be? Gambling upon the recommendation of a friend, I took the chance, and am so glad I did. Rarely has such a succinct, witty, pointed tract made it into the public awareness. Honed down to the absolute core message, this is a vitally important must-read manual for the head of any major international corporation, and those who would understand the issues affecting them. I heartily recommend this book.

The Living Goddess
The Living Goddess

4.0 out of 5 stars Near miss, 4 Jun. 2012
I am glad I read this book, as large sections of it were a fascinating insight into a culture about which I know very little, and find myself wanting to learn more. There were chapters that I devoured in avid anticipation, but I'm afraid that some of the start and end did, as one of the other reviewers said, feel a little disappointingly Mills and Boonish. The feeling I was left with was that this was a good book, but with input from a decent editor could have been a great book. I think I will be reading it again, but may be skipping some of the outer chapters...although even in these, there were a few snippets of insight into medical culture that were "laugh out loud in recognition" territory. After all, I still jump at certain frequencies of bleeping noises...

Cardiac Arrest: Complete Collection [DVD] [1994]
Cardiac Arrest: Complete Collection [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lancel

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I'd remembered, 19 April 2007
I was a medical student when this originally came out, and thought it was great. Now I know it was actually superb. The blackest of black humour, and yet it so catches the flavour. I find myself cast back to those long weekend shifts, where the only time between Friday and Monday that you got to sit down was driving between the two hospital sites you covered, and the only food you had was a dried up sandwich you ate whilst driving. The best written medical drama ever.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 2:27 PM GMT