Profile for Lynne Hardie > Reviews

Content by Lynne Hardie

Lynne Hardie (West Yorkshire, England)

Viners Cookware Oval Roaster
Viners Cookware Oval Roaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread, 7 Dec. 2009
In my opinion the best thing since sliced bread.

I have arthritis in my hands and previously had an enamel roaster. It was heavier for a start and cleaning was an absolute nightmare.

This roaster, being stainless steel is much lighter and cleans a dream.
Even burnt on food residue lifts off with a soak.
It heats up faster than enamel, and cooks quicker. It also responds quicker to changing the oven temperature.

An added bonus is that it doesn't crack like enamel, and there are no lips or edges in the base dish which could harbour residue, and it is of course dishwasher safe.

I loved it so much I bought another one.....

The offset handles make lifting easier for me, and fit better into the oven.
They also minimise the risk of burning your wrists or arms putting the roaster in and out of the oven.

I do batch cooking in them - stews, casseroles etc. Usually using both at once in the oven to save time and energy. For example one with braised steak and the other with minced beef.
Or braised lamb in one, braised pork chops in the other.

The well fitting lid means I can put them into cold water in the sink, then out on to the step to cool quickly before dividing and packing the contents for freezing.

I have even used them outside to quickly cool hot cooked shop-bought chickens, knowing they are safe from predatory dogs or cats.

Nice and shiny, they are suitable to use oven to table, especially when containing stews or casseroles for a bonfire party, and don't buckle or warp when a Brabantia (or similar) food warmer is lit under them.

I've used them on the barbecue in summer, and on a food warmer keeping sausages,burgers,chicken portions etc nice and hot.

Oh yes, sometimes I actually use them for roasting..............