Profile for Music Buff > Reviews

Content by Music Buff

Music Buff "Tom" (Cleveleys)

Page: 1 | 2
Escape From The Shadow Garden (Cd+Dvd)
Escape From The Shadow Garden (Cd+Dvd)

4.0 out of 5 stars More Top Stuff From The Boys, 13 Jun 2014
Exactly what you might expect from these boys who are slicker than slick after all these years.

Magnum do this stuff better than anyone - wicked guitar work from Tony Clarkin, rock solid bass work from Al Barrow and Bob Catley's voice is still hanging in (and out) there like a good 'un.

Top tracks for me are "Live Till You Die" and "Too Many Clowns"

Keep rocking, gents!

The Usborne Little Book of Nursery Rhymes (Miniature Editions) (Little Books)
The Usborne Little Book of Nursery Rhymes (Miniature Editions) (Little Books)
by Angela Wilkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Just The Ticket, 13 Jun 2014
This little anthology contains all the rhymes you could wish for and the pictures are lovely too.

We bought this as a present for our first grandson and look forward to singing along ourselves!

Bosch IXO Easy-Reach Adapter
Bosch IXO Easy-Reach Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer gadget, 9 May 2014
A simple gadget but absolutely brilliant. Does exactly what it says and does it really well. Saved me hours of frustration and barked knuckles fitting a roller blind for my grandson's nursery recently. Ace.

2013 Relapse Records
2013 Relapse Records

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Sampler, 16 Dec 2013
Though not all of the tracks are to my particular liking, this is a cracker of a sampler album and the musicianship of the various outfits included is of a high order. Production and sound are great.

Top stuff. Long may they rock.

Roberts Sound100 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod/iPhone walnut

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Superb Piece Of Kit, 31 July 2013
I'll be honest. I didn't want one of these originally.

Indeed, I bought a Bose Wave III and was dead impressed with that beast until the insistent over-heavy bass had melted my brain after about 3 minutes. (And it wasn't just me. My wife, who has extremely acute hearing, could stand it even less). Stunningly the Bose has no user control over the tone . In fact, there are no tone controls at all- though it whacked out enough volume to fill a Jumbo jet hangar (not that handy in a 3 bed semi..). Anyway, I rang Bose and explained my quandary.

The Bose support chap was very understanding - I got the feeling that he had had to be understanding about this problem more than a couple of zillion times before... Anyway. It was a case of (a most polite) like it or lump it, Sir. And at the Bose price I was damned well not going to like it - so I lumped it back to them poste haste.

As an alternative I went for this Roberts unit - and am so very glad I did. It is chock full with facilites, plays like a dream and sounds absolutely wonderful. The DAB is razor sharp and the unit produced ample, controllable volume. Being priced at a fraction of the Bose only increases our contentment!

We are absolutely delighted with this machine - and no, neither of us works for Roberts. ;-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 2:39 PM BST

Belkin Leather Trifold Case for The 3rd Generation New iPad - Black
Belkin Leather Trifold Case for The 3rd Generation New iPad - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain, 31 July 2013
Exactly what I wanted and needed.

This little goodie does exactly what it says on the, er, well, promo text.

I have had none of the bother reported by a couple of the other reviewers, it fits the iPad snugly and securely and the foldy-uppy-supporty thing works a treat.

HP Original 350/351 Combo Pack
HP Original 350/351 Combo Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Good inks, good price, 31 July 2013
Easy one to rate this - it was exactly what I was after:

HP originals at a really good price.

Satisfied customer

iPad for 3rd & 4th Generation iPad and iPad 2 4th Edition (In Easy Steps)
iPad for 3rd & 4th Generation iPad and iPad 2 4th Edition (In Easy Steps)
by Drew Provan

3.0 out of 5 stars Be wary...., 31 July 2013
This book is a definite "OK" but with reservations:

It is basically a regurgitation of the iPad User Guide (which you can download into your iBooks for free anyway),
The so-called "easy steps" are, to my mind, neither comprehensive nor intuitively put together,
The thing is (understandably) very "american" in feel and though the handy tips are handy, none are really earth shattering.

All in all I learned more by playing with the iPad and looking up the odd thing only here and there.

It sure looks pretty - but don't set your expectations too high!

Sibelius: Symphonies 1 and 3
Sibelius: Symphonies 1 and 3

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless Naxos!, 16 Nov 2010
In my earlier scribbling about Inkinen's last disc of Sibelius miniatures (Naxos 8.570763) I prayed that Naxos would have the wisdom to let him loose on the symphonies in due course. To their eternal credit they have done so and this first disc in a new full cycle is an absolute triumph - and comes at a cracking, bargain price to boot.

As with his previous two Sibelius discs Inkinen proves himself beyond any shadow of a doubt to be an absolute master of the composer's idiom and has obviously no problem adjusting to the longer spans and greater intellectual demand of the symphonies. On this showing he can justifiably stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of messrs. Davis and Segerstam without suffering the slightest tremor.

The quality of the musicianship and sheer skill of the New Zealanders continue to impress mightily with alert, lithe muscular playing that conveys all the power and delicacy of this tricky music. The brass choir is in gloriously mellifluous voice yet again (I love the "fat" tuba sound) and the woodwinds are an absolute delight. Rarely have I heard the individual lines come through so cleanly and the crystal clear recording does them ample justice. Time and again wonderful detail comes through the orchestral texture to a beautifully judged degree - the harps and deep woodwind in particular. The string section engine room puts in sterling performances in both works, with razor sharp attack going hand in glove with a sustained, rich tone throughout.

In the First Symphony Inkinen keeps the whole thing well groomed and coherent throughout all its episodes and the yearning ebb and flow of the "nature" music comes across with a real intensity and without overdriving things or giving in to the merely grand or dramatic. He negotiates the music's frequent mood and gear changes deftly, keeping the argument's invisible "thread" intact all the time (though I did feel the opening of the Andante a tad on the slow side. That said the pulse was firm, tightly controlled, it certainly didn't sag and the transition on to the main part of the movement was beautifully judged). The power in this score is undeniable and Inkinen wisely keeps his powder dry for the "real" moments making them tell all the more. I have to say that the First isn't my personal favourite among Sibelius' symphonies but I shall be returning to this particular jewel frequently.

And it just gets better. The performance of the Third Symphony is a stunner. All the positive aspects above are repeated - with knobs on. The orchestra are on top form again and obviously revel in this vigorous, triumphant piece. Inkinen has it all superbly controlled to deliver the maximum just when needed and manages the light and shade brilliantly, avoiding any temptation to let things get overblown. Again the nordic feel permeates everything and the power of nature-painting is almost overwhelming at points. This is music making that really makes you sit up and pay attention.

This release is also the clearest illustration yet that the old view of Naxos as a "flog `em fast, flog `em cheap" outfit is patent rot. They have recognised something truly special in the Inkinen/NZSO alliance - despite the fact that they have already released some worthy Sibelius offerings under the batons Sakari and Leaper. This new enterprise promises to be something of real excellence and deserves to be fully supported - all the way.

So. A thousand thanks, Naxos. Hit me with the next release any time you like!

PURE ONE Classic, Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black
PURE ONE Classic, Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Belter, 7 July 2010
We bought this radio to replace an earlier DAB (or should that be BAD?) portable which had developed an infuriating tendency to gargle like a dyspeptic steam engine after a quarter of an hour's use. In fact we were in danger of becoming pretty disenchanted with the whole DAB thing until we needed the hall painting...

...and Mr Decorator stepped through the door one bright sunny morning with his emulsion-spattered (Dulux Natural Wicker) PURE ONE Classic tucked under his arm. "Classic FM be OK?" he asked - and promptly changed our lives.

We were immediately knocked back our heels by the full, clean, crisp sound and the nice beefy tone of the machine. It maintained pin-sharp clarity throughout the day (including teabreaks) with no signal drift (or any of the accursed DAB-gargling we had become used to) and filled the space with ease. As you can probably guess, we were quite taken.

We bought our own PURE ONE very soon after and have been utterly delighted with it. It is dead easy to set up (No, honestly, it is. Unless you are just too plain lazy to read the little book). It has a really neat footprint (so it nestles nicely on the kitchen worktop) and has performed flawlessy since day one. We continue to be impressed by the sound quality. Whether the broadcast be pop, classical, spoken word or hard rock, the tone is always firm and punchy, with a surprisingly extended bottom end for a unit of its size. In fact, the sounds is so good you tend to forget it's not stereo. There is enough in the volume-tank to fill any room we use it in. We knew up front we would always be using it as a mains machine and didn't bother with the battery-pack that seems to have exercised so many peoples' rage glands, so I can't express a view on its performance as a portable.

My one quibble - and it really is only a preference-type-quibble - is that, when you use the Station Preset facility, the selection always defaults to the station on Preset 1 and you have to scroll through until you reach the one you want. That must take all of well, three or four seconds, so there's picky for you!

I know some people don't particularly like the fact that The Big Silver Knob is used for so much - but I think it simplifies things brilliantly and looks good to boot. I have found no problems or issues with it whatsoever.

In sum, then, I reckon it's a quality little good looker that works damned well and comes at a really affordable price.

If you don't believe me, I can recommend a good decorator...

Page: 1 | 2