Profile for Greybeard > Reviews

Content by Greybeard

Greybeard "Greybeard" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
EasyAcc Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Smart Shell Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Stand Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake Feature for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Tablet (9.7 Wi-Fi SM-T810 / LTE SM-T815)
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

Acce2S Leather-Look Phone Case for SAMSUNG S5611 (Black)
Acce2S Leather-Look Phone Case for SAMSUNG S5611 (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made case, 29 Jan. 2016
Well made, well-fitting case, but it is possible to inadvertently press phone keys through the case resulting in unwanted phone activity

PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC.  Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.
PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC. Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality device, 10 Nov. 2015
I now have three of these devices connected to my media machine running Windows Media Centre. Unlike some other makes of tuner these device drivers are written correctly and multiple devices can be installed. I can simultaneously record three TV channels with absolutely no problems. They don't suffer from overheating problems and are totally reliable.

Digitus 0.25m Length A Male - 2x 10-Pin IDC USB Slot Bracket Cable
Digitus 0.25m Length A Male - 2x 10-Pin IDC USB Slot Bracket Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 10 Nov. 2015
Seems well made. Very easy to install and connect to the motherboard. Cheap way of getting an additional 4 USB2 sockets.

CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars I got MY phone back for MY use but it broke after 12 months, 9 April 2015
I used to get a lot of spam calls. Then my carrier (Talktalk) offered a call-blocking service. That got rid of about half the problem. Then I got this device. I immediately used it to block 0, VOIP, number withheld and out of area calls. That reduced the number of unwanted calls to less than one a week. As soon as I get an unwanted call, I block it and I can never get called by them again.
If you are plagued by unwanted calls then this is simple and effective. I heartily recommend it.
The following comments added about three months later.
Firstly, it has dramatically reduced my unwanted calls to a fraction of what it was. But... There is a particularly obnoxious spammer who spoofs the system as 00 and 01. There is a catch 22 with these numbers. If I block these numbers the unit not only blocks 00 and 01 but everything starting with these digits. In other words no calls AT ALL originating in the UK and internationally. Not exactly what I would want. In my view this is a major design fault in the unit. I still would not be without it but there are ways for spammers to beat it leaving you with a residue of unblockable numbers.

Twelve months later the device has stopped working. It no longer recognizes the control codes or blocks previously blocked numbers. This was my second unit. The previous one never worked at all. I previously marked it as five stars but electronics that fails so quickly is really worth NO stars.

August DVB-T210 - HD Freeview USB TV Tuner - External DVB-T2 Digital Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - WINTV Dongle for High Definition PCTV - Desktop and Laptop Compatible Stick for Windows 10, 8, 7 / Vista / XP

1.0 out of 5 stars Only one of this type will work in a system and it is not reliable, 2 April 2015
A couple of years ago I bought the August T205. It works beautifully with Windows Vista and Win7. I use it with Windows Media Center. the software supplied with the August isn't worth looking at. I built a media machine using a August T210 and a PCTV DVB-T2 so I could simultaneously record two channels. I recently decided to add a third tuner and bought a second T210. It turns out that there is a serious shortcoming in the device driver for this device and a second device of this type cannot be recognized by Windows. I swapped the second T210 with the SD T205 and got a third tuner OK. So now I have a media system with 2 HD tuners and 1 SD tuner. In spite of that setback I think the T210 is a very good tuner at the price. It is every bit as good as the much dearer PCTV DVB-T2. Just don't expect to have more than one in a system.
Added these comments a few months later. The tuner keeps 'disappearing' from Windows. It becomes an 'unknown' device. Each time it happens I can take it out, let it cool and then Windows will recognize it correctly when it is refitted. This may be a one-off faulty device. I have another in a different system and I am monitoring it closely.
Added this comment a couple of weeks later. Both T210 tuner exhibit the same behaviour. They 'disappear from Windows. I have also noticed a number of 'Blue SCreen of Death' incidents since fitting this device. This never happened in the past.
This is nothing like as reliable a tuner as the PCTV DVB-T2. My advice is don't buy it.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year Edition (PC)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year Edition (PC)
Offered by Go2Games

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 21 Jan. 2015
I found this a bit of a mixed bag.
Pros:
It is very fast to load.
It is stable
The graphics are excellent
Cons:
The story is a bit confusing at the start of the game
The game is very short. I'd just finished playing Far Cry 3 (massive) and this seemed very very short by comparison.
I didn't get attached to the character at all
I had to patch the FOV to prevent nausea

Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

1.0 out of 5 stars Nausea, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Resident Evil 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The narrow FOV in this game made me nauseous. I could not find a way to widen the FOV to something that would not cause a problem. Leaving that to one side, the game felt clunky and frankly crude.

Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by passionFlix UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game. Decent story, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Excellent game. Decent story. Lots of action. Plenty of off-story missions. Great value. When I started the game I had some problems with nausea. In the past I have found this is associated with Field of View (FOV). Conveniently this game actually has an option to adjust it. I am running a 1680x1050 22" screen. I found changing FOV from the default 73.15 to 90.2 solved the nausea problem completely.

Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Offered by THE ELECTRICAL SHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulled in lots more channels on weaker receivers., 6 Dec. 2014
I was sceptical about such a low cost signal booster but the reviews convinced me to try this. I have two aerials in the house, each serving three receivers. The TVs pick up my local transmitter (Blackhill) very well but the two PC-based media systems with PCTV and August tuners could not pick up transmissions on COM4 and COM5. I fitted this device and the PC-based reception came up to the same quality as the TVs. I was so impressed I bought another for the other aerial system.
So first impressions are very positive and I would strongly recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10