Profile for Greybeard > Reviews

Content by Greybeard

Greybeard "Greybeard" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year Edition (PC)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year Edition (PC)
Offered by 4GamersUK

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 21 Jan. 2015
I found this a bit of a mixed bag.
Pros:
It is very fast to load.
It is stable
The graphics are excellent
Cons:
The story is a bit confusing at the start of the game
The game is very short. I'd just finished playing Far Cry 3 (massive) and this seemed very very short by comparison.
I didn't get attached to the character at all
I had to patch the FOV to prevent nausea

Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Resident Evil 5 (PC)
Offered by PNA247

1.0 out of 5 stars Nausea, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Resident Evil 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The narrow FOV in this game made me nauseous. I could not find a way to widen the FOV to something that would not cause a problem. Leaving that to one side, the game felt clunky and frankly crude.

Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by GeeksWholesaler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game. Decent story, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Excellent game. Decent story. Lots of action. Plenty of off-story missions. Great value. When I started the game I had some problems with nausea. In the past I have found this is associated with Field of View (FOV). Conveniently this game actually has an option to adjust it. I am running a 1680x1050 22" screen. I found changing FOV from the default 73.15 to 90.2 solved the nausea problem completely.

Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulled in lots more channels on weaker receivers., 6 Dec. 2014
I was sceptical about such a low cost signal booster but the reviews convinced me to try this. I have two aerials in the house, each serving three receivers. The TVs pick up my local transmitter (Blackhill) very well but the two PC-based media systems with PCTV and August tuners could not pick up transmissions on COM4 and COM5. I fitted this device and the PC-based reception came up to the same quality as the TVs. I was so impressed I bought another for the other aerial system.
So first impressions are very positive and I would strongly recommend.

Crysis 3 (PC DVD)
Crysis 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars DIRECTX 11 ONLY!!!!!, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Crysis 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The description of this product is lacking an important detail. It may well be capable of running on Vista but it should also very definitely say DIRECTX 11 ONLY. I've run all the previous Crysis titles and enjoyed them, but this requires a graphics card that has DIRECTX 11 support in the hardware. So the bottom line is I cannot run it. If you have slightly older hardware it probably will not run. It is not a question of loading software: you need new hardware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 4:28 PM GMT

Assassin's Creed 3 (PC DVD)
Assassin's Creed 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by GeeksWholesaler

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst installation experience ever !!!!!, 9 Oct. 2014
I have just spent about four hours installing this game. The DVDs install in about an hour, then starts the patching nightmare. At the time of writing there are 6 patches to be installed - INDIVIDUALLY. You cannot move forward to playing the game until the patches are installed. Each takes about 30 minutes.Then the when you think that the game is ready to play, you find that the uplay online game verification system does not work. A trawl on google leads to uninstalling the uplay just loaded by the game and a new one being installed from a download. Whoopee, I thought, the game must be ready to play. I played through the first five minutes and the game crashed!. I was able to restart it and continue from the crash point.

I like the earlier AC games, but this initial experience with AC3 got me so annoyed with the ineptitude of the installation system. What is wrong with distributing cumulative patches? What is wrong with the auto-patch actually repairing the game launcher uplay as well?

I hope the game is worth it!

Added later:

Well I've finished the game and it wasn't worth it. This is a pale shadow of earlier games and is the last that I will play in this series.

Firebird
Firebird

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Firebird (Kindle Edition)
Exciting debut novel. Bought his following novel.

Hour Game (King and Maxwell Book 2)
Hour Game (King and Maxwell Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 16 Jun. 2014
The story is a bit convoluted. There are lots of twists, perhaps too many. The book was about 10% too long for the story.

The Iron Man
The Iron Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 3 April 2014
This review is from: The Iron Man (Kindle Edition)
This was a very cheap book. It was in the 'At that price I'll give it a try category'. What a surprise. It is well written with an interesting plot. There are some holes in the plot but they are forgiveable. I liked it a lot and would read more by this guy but there do not seem to be any. Shame.

Jigsaw (87th Precinct)
Jigsaw (87th Precinct)

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of my time, 3 April 2014
Ed McBain is a name that I was well aware of from many years ago. I know he is a big seller. I cannot believe how badly written and badly plotted this book is. There is no way that I would look at another of his books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9