Profile for Maggy Whitehouse > Reviews

Content by Maggy Whitehouse

Maggy Whitehouse "MaggyW" (Birmingham United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Extra Virgin Kitchen
The Extra Virgin Kitchen
by Susan Jane White

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and very helpful, 31 Mar 2014
I've been working on my diet for six months now, cutting out all sugar, gluten and most dairy (apart from sheep and goat) and this book has really helped. I bought it because of the chocolate-beetroot slump cake that was featured in Waitrose magazine.

What I really like is that it's realistic - you need to have treats and fun with food on a so-called restricted diet. It should feel like an adventure not a chore and that's what Susan teaches.

Her style of writing is lovely and amusing.

Speaking as a publisher, I think the font used is appalling! Yuk. But everything else is so good she's forgiven.

After a month I'm making my own granola, sugar-free brownies (hers have sugar but I substitute dates which makes the recipe chewier which I like), the family have enjoyed two chocolate cakes and my own recipes have been enhanced by suggestions that I've taken from hers.

Out Your ego
Out Your ego

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, practical, useful, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Out Your ego (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely book for dipping into when you want to take a moment to work out whether you're running on automatic and making unhelpful decisions. Staci has written it in 52 sections for dippers or for dealing with one chapter per week. Or, of course, you can read the lot at once. I'm a dipper but I do find myself reading three or four chapters at a time. It's revealing, doesn't take prisoners but is written with wry self-knowledge, personal stories, humour and great clarity. Highly recommended.

Freezer Companion
Freezer Companion
by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Such lovely recipes, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Freezer Companion (Hardcover)
I've had this book for more than 25 years now and STILL I return to it for excellent recipes which can be frozen successfully.

They are adaptable - for example, her upside-down pear gingercake works even better with apples and becomes a treacle sticky toffee pudding when eaten hot.

I'm posting this review today because I've got a glut of strawberries and have been seeking on the internet for strawberry mousse recipes which can be frozen. After about half an hour I remembered Michelle - and yes, there is the perfect, simple recipe. What's more, I've used it before (yonks ago!) and it worked perfectly.

The book is obviously out of print but if you can get a copy for 1p plus postage it's money well spent. Considering the well-used battered copy in my bookshelf, I think I'd do well to get another myself

The Pagan Eden: The Assyrian origins of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life
The Pagan Eden: The Assyrian origins of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life
by Ian Freer

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and relevant, 21 Mar 2013
Ian weaves a fascinating portrait of the ancient origins of the archetypical Tree of Life. I wondered if this would be an overly intellectual and dry book but it is engagingly written and well researched. A lovely way to find out about the universal symbols that colour our systems of faith through the ages. Highly recommended.

Patterns of Creation
Patterns of Creation
by Stephen Pope

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational labour of love, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Patterns of Creation (Paperback)
Steve Pope's book has been many years in the writing - I've been lucky to have known Steve for more than 20 years now and have attended some of his workshops. This has been a true labour of love.

The end result is more than worth it. Steve has taken the entire prologue of the Gospel of John and translated it in the mystical terms that most likely would have been used at the time (when the oral tradition was much stronger than the written one - 95% of people did not read or write).

Together with these beautiful translations, Steve has placed the teaching fairly and squarely in the 21st century, showing us how ancient wisdom is still valid in the modern world. He also includes simple meditations.

It shows that the teaching of Jesus (and the mystical teaching of the time) is all-embracing AND it shows it with Biblical text and translation. This is incredibly valuable in the modern world where the fundamentalist will quote the Bible at the spiritual believer. Without wishing to encourage 'Bible tennis' it is wonderful to have contemporary but clear alternative translations to work with.

The book takes a wider brief than just the prologue - giving a clear and concise view of the life and times of the people who wrote the Bible, and a sensible and not over-complicated guide to the Kabbalistic tradition.

I won't give it away, because the whole book is worth reading, but Steve's translation of Jesus' 'well-known phrase, 'I am the way the truth and the life...' made me go 'Yes!' and feel a tremendous sense of relief and joy.

Highly recommended.

Get Your Book Published: Teach Yourself
Get Your Book Published: Teach Yourself
by Katherine Lapworth

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise and thorough book, 18 May 2012
This book is a great help in a world where there are more than a million books published every year ... far more than the conventional market can bear. It will take you through the pitfalls of getting your work published externally and by yourself and gives good, sound common-sense advice.

Spirituality and Mental Health: A Handbook for Service Users, Carers and Staff Wishing to Bring a Spirtual Dimension to Mental Health Services
by Peter Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link, 30 Mar 2012
I must admit I'd give my eye-teeth to be able to re-edit this book as the jewels it contains could shine even more brightly. However, it still deserves five stars for its mind-opening content and its clear acknowledgment of the importance of spirit in health. I also love the mix of philosophy, case studies, well-researched views and - yes - spirit.

The use of quotations about soul and spirit lift the text, changing its pace in a way that is very unusual in an academic work. Not only can we perceive the deep truths expressed but we are also kept entertained and uplifted. This is a style characteristic of Peter's workshop presentations and it is very attractive.

Peter Gilbert's own spiritual journey shines through, together with the stories of his companions. This book is highly recommended for anyone who cares in any way for someone with mental health issues. That spirituality is the often-forgotten missing link is clear. It is also clear that acknowleging spirit (rather than religion) in everyday care will both help explain many issues and give us more effective tools to be able to help.

As a hospice chaplain I welcome this book with open arms and I just hope its price won't put people off reading it. Perhaps an e-book version would be a very good idea?

How Far to Bethlehem?
How Far to Bethlehem?

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, spiritual and beautiful interpretation of the Nativity, 28 Sep 2011
I first read 'How Far to Bethlehem' when I was 14 and fell in love with all of the characters. Norah Lofts has given a back-story to all of the characters in the Christmas Nativity from the shepherds to the donkey.
She weaves in surprising aspects - including a very controversial alternative view of how Mary got pregnant but the author's own, simple faith in miracles shines through all the way. As in all Norah Lofts books there is suffering and redemption and self-knowledge. Very beautifully-written, moving and probably the perfect gift for Christmas to anyone in the Christian community - or anyone who loves the Nativity story without a particular faith.

Esther
Esther

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens after "Happy Ever After"?, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Esther (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book when I was 19 and loved it. For once, the Cinderella story is continued after the wedding. We all know the phrase 'happy ever after' but how often does that happen? And how would the 'ordinary' girl cope living in the palace as Queen?
At the time I had no idea that this book was an interpretation of the Biblical Book of Esther, I just knew that it was an enchanting story, wonderfully told.
It's lovely to see 'Esther' back in print. Not only is it a story of good winning over evil but it is about stepping up into who you really are. Norah Lofts originally wrote it for teenagers and it's a perfect book for a young person. But I'm still enjoying it at 55.
It would be a great gift for a Jewish girl at the time of Purim, which is the Jewish festival which celebrates the Book of Esther. But you don't need to be Jewish, religious or even believe in God; it's just a terrific read.

Rabbi Jesus: an Intimate Biography: The Jewish Life and Teachings That Inspired Christia
by Bruce D. Chilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Curate's egg, 25 July 2011
I came to this book with delighted anticipation but was disappointed.
It's main theme is that Jesus was a mamzer ... an outcast, despised and rejected by Nazareth and other Jews. He felt so unloved that he ran away at the age of 12 (the incident in Luke where he's left behind at the Temple) and joined John the Baptist.
The trouble is that Jesus was not, by any standards, a mamzer ... even if he were illegitimate. A mamzer (who was outcast) was only the child of incest or adultery; neither of which is claimed by Chiltern. So the rest of the whole book is on a rocky foundation. That wouldn't matter at all if it were presented entirely as fiction but it's not; it's a blend of surmise and academic claims, many of which are simply not supportable.
In places Chiltern plays fast and loose with Biblical facts and in other places he holds fast to them as though they were indisputable. It's very haphazard and it clearly shows his own agenda - as laid out perfectly clearly (thank you for that!) in the foreword - that Chiltern's own vocation came through an experience of Jesus suffering on the cross.
There are fascinating insights ... in that the Greek in the Gospel of Luke does not say 'parents' but 'parent' when Jesus is left behind in the Temple in Jerusalem when he is about 12 ... so it's a fair surmise that Joseph might have been dead by then. And it is true that, as a Galilean, Jesus might well have been horrified by the opulence in Jerusalem but the claim that he would have been excluded from his home synagogue as a child simply doesn't hold water for me, at least.
Curate's egg.