Profile for trazom > Reviews

trazom (swe)

Mozart: 45 Symphonies
Mozart: 45 Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars "The killing" and now 45 symphonies..., 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mozart: 45 Symphonies (Audio CD)
The Danes, often looked upon with a mocking love-hate attitude by us swedes baffled crime TV affectionados with the series "the Killing". No comparision made with Fischer/DR Underholdingsorkestrets feat other than heres more of that quality one might accuse the danes of; joy-de-vivre, sense of fun, humanity, tounge-in-cheek or sometimes that dark-shaded mood one could find in Mozart Sym. readings. For some time I've been thinking that theres not more to listen to in these works that what's heard in Hogwood, Gardiner, Pinnock, Marriner....Harnoncourt, lately both Böhm and Tate, but heres a joyful susprise. It might not be Mozart for everyone since the readings are "spiced", eg. I can't explain what happened to the menuet in no 33, but it's tought-provoking and fun. This set seems hyped by reviewers from all over the world, but they're right. I don't hesitate to put this cycle as the first amongst equals of any of the ones I have in my shelves right now. Claus Johansens liner notes puts it nicely, "We smile bravely to our colleagues who have been struggling for 225 years to bring his music to life. And then it is our turn." If I say that it's serious commitement and music-making with a big austro-hungarian (whatever that is!) - danish smile. Clear (ultraclear) recordings, easy to hear the different voices and lots of precision. Not complete in the encyclopaedic sense - no 32 as well as the younger Mozarts sinfonias/ouvertures are lacking, but who cares. I don't. Music matters. Reference class.

Mozart - String Quartets K465, K499 and K590
Mozart - String Quartets K465, K499 and K590
Offered by Disco100

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mozart for the ages", 22 Oct. 2013
The booklet to go with this CD concludes (about these recordings) that "it was Mozart not for the 1930s but for the ages" (T Potter). How true. This is nowadays quite familiar music for me, though it needs some concentration. I'm in no way a quartet diehard but have the last years listened a lot to many recordings from later years and bought this disc after having read the helpful 5 star interview by a mr Street . I was curious but also expected bad acoustics, mono, noise, crackle etc, things that makes one lose patience when listening. Not this time. Almost 73 minutes of hi-fi from the 1930's that makes one forget things about monaurual recording, some noise and suppressed sounds (like frying far away, the needle in the groove). One example; my favourite in the late F-major quartet (Leipziger Streichquartett, top-notch playing and sound, in strong competition with Quartetto Italiano and Hagen Qt)) gets "beaten" by this legendary and timeless outfit.

Complete String Quintets, The (Griller String Quartet)
Complete String Quintets, The (Griller String Quartet)

3.0 out of 5 stars Time waits for no one, 4 April 2013
"1/10 Without doubt /---/ the most important chamber music recording ever made" according to the cover (as stated by Classics Today - but when?). In my quest for THE quintet recording I could perhaps not do without this set; it's enjoyable, since even I (I neither play nor read notes!) notice the occasional mistakes and slightly unclean playing. The glitches could (and should!) be ignored as well as enjoyed; since a) maybe things were done this way back in 1959, with no heavy editing and b) there's musicality involved - these recordings "rocks" and are well worth listening to. But be warned, better recordings and intepretations are to be found by Guernari Qt + viola (live recordings with coughs!) and my personal "reference", the Juilliard Qt + viola. Or try the expanded Grumiaux Trio). Those sets are complete (all 6 quintets), including Mozart's 1st quintet (partly modelled on Michael Haydn). The Griller set lacks that quintet (the Adagio & fugue K546, in a take without obvious errors, act as "filler"). A true classic, but in my opinion not the definite quintet set (no such thing could exist). Time waits for no one, not even for the Griller Qt.

Sofronitsky/Musica Antiqua Col
Sofronitsky/Musica Antiqua Col

2.0 out of 5 stars Popular Mechanics anyone?, 15 July 2012
Superlatives all over? If my view is based on disagreement just for disagreements sake, or not, or biased by the some dozen+ or so cycles of Mozart Pno Cti I have heard I cannot say; polished, maybe technically OK but lacking the quality that makes the music sing and engage. I've playd the discs through and through and at the darkest moments I just could't remember any expression worth mentioning. Maybe these concertos should be played expressiveless (or with somewhat forced expression), precise (with some exceptions for the winds obviously) with strings like it was programmed as a midi-file, but I think not. It's a kind of wound-up encyclopaedic cycle, and not the "Entdeckungsreise" a full Mozart cycle ought to be, something to experience anew with (almost) every session, even though the music is so familiar. I won't scrap these readings/recordings, but I'd stick to Gardiner/Bilson, or Immerseel, and maybe even Sconderwoerds rather ... strange? series to-be when it comes to period practices; Kirschnereit, Brendel or Perahia or even an "youthful oldie" like Anda. It's not completely garbage, mind, but it just lacks that something, in MY opinion.

Polaroid 52mm Aluminum Lens And Filter Adapter Tube For Panasonic DMC-LX5 (Equivalent To DMW-LA6)
Offered by Smart Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars More-for-less Tube, 24 Feb. 2012
Ordered late evening Jan 10th, arrival in my mailbox (Sweden) Jan 16 - some fast delivery; nice and sturdy ALU-quality and excellent fit on the LX-5 as expected as well as on the original 52 wide-angle conversion lens. Smart shop? Yes indeed, the "original" Panasonic adapter would have set me some £25 back. Why pay more?

Haydn: Paris Symphonies
Haydn: Paris Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars WYHWG, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Haydn: Paris Symphonies (Audio CD)
5x* - I agree, as well as I agree with the 2x*-rewiev with b e c a u s e of the dynamic interpretation "with their exaggerated pauses, slowings down, speedings up, and last but not least the perverse use of dynamics in explosive tuttis". But sureley, this is not about "autenticity" or a belief that our ears actually can hear what was produced som 200+ years ago?! Isn't it about interpretation and the ability of racking our brains; in this, the recording excels; skip the chronology for a while - here we have Beethoven as well as a sprinkle of Schubert and touches those inimitable folk-music accents accentuated in a way of interpretation at least I believe would have smiled at. This is what Haydn, or his position right at the moment the Paris symphonies were written, or isn't it? What you hear is what you get - great interpretations that at no point whatsoever are bland or un-engaging, and definetly not something for back-ground, casual listening. "Electrifying" might come close.