Profile for Julie & co. > Reviews

Content by Julie & co.

Julie & co. (The Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Assessing Young Language Learners (Cambridge Language Assessment)
Assessing Young Language Learners (Cambridge Language Assessment)
by Penny McKay

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond comprehensive!, 9 Feb 2013
An excellent indepth overview of information and issues relating to assessment of young language learners (YLL) in both second language and foreign language learning contexts. This book also includes one of the best succinct overviews of YLL second language acquisition, learning processes and teaching methods that I have ever read! An excellent overview of research about YLL is also given. As expected chapters cover assessment through tasks, large scale tests, in classroom contexts, with additional focus also on assessment of oral language, reading and writing. A really impressive text that balances academic information in an accessible format. I'd totally recommend this book for teachers in practice, teachers in training, and those studying YLL in higher education.

The Free Range Cook
The Free Range Cook
by Annabel Langbein

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous photos, welcoming anecdotes, great recipes, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Free Range Cook (Hardcover)
I totally love this book. I cherish my own copy and will be giving away many more as gifts. It is a beautiful book filled with gorgeous photos of all Annabel's down-to-earth food and her glorious surroundings and lifestyle beside Lake Wanaka, NZ. Annabel's friendly anecdotes welcome us to share her "piece of paradise" and make this book seem like a personal collection of recipes passed on from one friend to another. I've cooked about 12 of the recipes so far and all have been "so good", "so easy", and "so delicious"! I will never cook potatoes or beans the same again, and all the desserts I've tried have the wow factor! Even my very first attempt at souffles worked out well. Also the index is unfaultable and easy to use. I've been inspired to grown a few veg in my back yard and am totally enjoying the whole garden to table concept. Annabel gives us healthy recipes that are delicious and easy. This book has my total recommendation and I'm looking forward to her next recipe collection.

Baked in America: The generous art of brownies, cupcakes, whoopies, muffins and more
by David Lesniak

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Outta this world yummy-ness, 19 Feb 2012
WOW! I've been baking for 25 years, but the cookies from Baked in America are the best I've ever made! I bought this book as a gift for my son, but need to buy another copy for myself asap! Love the multi-measurement choices - super handy, thanks. I would have loved a pic for EVERY recipe, but the quailty of the recipes makes this forgiveable. Just wow, wow, wow: every cookie I've made is outta-this-world, can't wait to try the cakes and slices. Everything I tried was easy-peasy with off-the-planet yummy-ness! (I'd recommend starting off with the Peanut Butter Cookies!)And the book is just gorgeous with lovely chatty introductions and extra info too. Love this book!

Finding Neverland [Blu-ray]
Finding Neverland [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

4.0 out of 5 stars full of fantasy and beautiful, 13 Nov 2011
The story is about a man, J.M. Barrie (Johnny Depp). He writes plays, but now his inspiration is gone away. In the park, he met a family, a mother (Kate Winslet) and 4 sons. Sometimes, the mother of the family has a chestcold. He is seeing that family more than his own wife, so his wife is gonna be angry on him. But thanks to that family J.M. Barrie is getting his inspiration back. He is writing his best play ever: Peter Pan. The chestcold of the mother is getting every day more worst, and on one day she has to go to the hospital. And at the day of the play, the woman is so sick, that she can not go to the play. Will the mother be better soon?

I really like this movie, because it's full of fantasy. It's a beautiful story, sometimes it's funny, and sometimes it's sad. What I dislike about this story is that sometimes it is a little bit fake. But the rest it is just a great movie!

by Mieke (junior high school student)

Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
by Mark Forster

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed, 31 Aug 2011
I too bought this because of the rave reviews, but I was very disappointed. The writing style is plain boring and patronising, and the advice is nothing no one else hasn't already told me.

I'd just read the Now Habit: A strategic program for overcoming procrastination and enjoying guilt-free play by Neil A Fiore which was amazing with real explanations why I wasn't managing my time and why I was avoiding tasks. The Now Habit gave me real strategies to improve my work habits, whereas Do it tomorrow just drivelled out the same old advice that everyone gives (avoid interruptions, complete planned tasks, create systems to manage daily incoming tasks) but those don't really help - otherwise I could have cured myself decades ago from my mother's repeated pleas to just "start the task". I agree with Fiore's Now Habit, most time management problems are not - not knowing how to be organised - but rather creating unreasonable expectation of ourselves so that tasks seem overwhelming so we protect ourselves by avoiding them for as long as possible, and also funnily enough focusing too much on the end product rather than the process. I'd recommend Fiore's Now Habit, not Forster's Do it tomorrow.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 2:28 PM BST

Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-free Play
by Neil A. Fiore

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my behaviour! best purchase ever!, 31 Aug 2011
I had a problem for decades - and knew it. I'd get there in the end and achieve great results (cum laude and so on), but oh the stress and worry and anxiety and PROCRASTINATION was painful - within myself but also for those around me. I've been to courses and read other books, but reading the NOW HABIT finally enabled me to changed my behaviour - for the better! I like the explanations behind why I procrastinate and real do-able strategies that get me working on those really hard tasks sooner and more easily and later I really enjoy my play totally guilt-free! I'm so glad I bought this book. Now out of Amazon and into my 30 minutes of my really important task (writing a journal article I was scared of) - which I now just START knowing that 30 minutes is doable and that all those 30 minutes will add up in the end - then afterwards I'll reward myself by playing my guitar absolutely guilt free! Bye for now. A much much happier, Julie!

Dr Martens Women's Mary Mary Jane
Dr Martens Women's Mary Mary Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars love these shoes!, 31 Aug 2011
I just LOVE these shoes! Look great, feel comfortable. They're on my feet most days and give me a real confidence boost too.

Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
by Patricia Helding

5.0 out of 5 stars includes great photos and chatty antidotes, 1 Mar 2011
A beautiful book filled with 50 easy-to-make super-yummy brownie recipes. Great photos and chatty antidotes take this book to the next level. I'll be buying many more copies as gifts for those I know that like to get into the kitchen and play with sugar and butter.

The Experience of Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
The Experience of Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
by Rose Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more than informative: also inspiring!, 18 Nov 2010
I love this book and continue to refer to it. Rose Senior genuinely entertains me while describing her massive Grounded Theory study of 101 teachers over 12 years. This book does what good Grounded Theory does, and its results `resonate' and `ring true'. Senior identifies and examines teaching and learning issues, thoroughly grounded in research, that I couldn't quite articulate as a teacher of second languages. Thanks for this book! It's more than informative: also inspiring!

Native English for Nederlanders: a personal, cultural and grammatical guide
Native English for Nederlanders: a personal, cultural and grammatical guide
by R. van de Krol

1.0 out of 5 stars There are better books out there, 17 Nov 2010
There are much better books out there, buy one of those instead. This one does not show a thorough understanding of second language learning processes or awareness of emergent World Englishes. It has been written by a journalist, not an educator. I think this book has an arrogant and patronising tone. If you want to improve your English, there are better books out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3