Profile for W-O-W > Reviews

Content by W-O-W

W-O-W

What the **** is Normal?!
What the **** is Normal?!
by Francesca Martinez
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva the wobbly revolution!, 26 May 2014
This book is enlightening, astounding and hilarious all that once. As a disabled person myself not only could I relate to a lot to what happened in this book, but the overall message really hit home.
HOWEVER this does not mean that you need to be disabled to love this book - you'll laugh and learn from it regardless! It's definitely my favourite book of this year, and should be read by all! Thank you Francesca.

The Girl in the Mask
The Girl in the Mask
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely FANTASTIC!, 26 Jun 2012
This review has also been posted here:
[...]

The story itself is about young Sophia, a rich girl in Georgian times - whose favourite past-times are reading plays, shooting , managing her fathers estate and riding, who is currently living with her cousin Jack in her fathers estate. Everything is well and Sophia is happy for probably the first time in her life, away from the horror of her father and free to do as she pleases - that is, until her terribly cruel father returns suddenly for his stay in the West Indies, with her horrid Aunt Amelia in tow, and he is far from happy.

Punished for firing the governess her father had hired to look after them both and disobeying his orders, Jack is sent away to serve in the army and Sophia is forced to watch her precious poetry's and plays burned the ashes in front of her eyes, leave her home and move the Bath, the London of that time - full of the elegant and rich of Georgian society, with one aim; she must find a husband and become a real lady of wealth, elegant and charming - or else.

Unhappy with being forced to do something like this, something that she would rather die than do - the complete in control over her life she currently has, the stifling dresses she now has to wear, the only things she has to do being attending balls, playing cards, reading religious sermons and sewing - Sophia vows to rebel from her father grasp - whatever the cost.

Turing to Highway Robbery as a way to earn money and get back the sense adventure and danger she always craves, Sophia feels that life is almost bearable - that is, until a gentleman shows a interest in her and she is now at risk of being unmasked - will he find out her secret?
I really liked this book. I'm completely honest in saying that is not my usual read, even though I am a huge fan of historical fiction, I must admit that I am not usually a fan of Georgian novels. That is, until I read this. Jensen's flow with words swept me away as soon as I read the first sentence; it was phenomenal - a book has not gripped me that much in a long while. It is safe to say I was completely blown away - I was overjoyed at the historical accuracy, too.

Another thing that I really liked about this book is the such passionate way that Jensen wrote Sophia. It was absolutely beautiful and a joy to read, because of this she seemed like such a believable character and her spirit really came to life because of this - its really obvious that Jensen really cares for her characters, but not only that, understood them as well.
This is a brilliant skill for any writer to have, and has really made me respect her as one, so much so that I will try my hardest to read the rest of her works.

My favourite character from this book would have to be Sophia, not only because of the reasons I have mentioned above (her spirit and the fact that she is really believable) but because of the fact that she is a fabulous female heroine. Not only does she have extreme determination, but she also shows she is extremely brave and fearless in the eyes of danger (no spoilers - but the way she acts when she has to endure the torture her father puts her through - extremely brave.) So that is why I love her - she is a extremely real, loyal and brave character, and I really look up to her in that respect. She is truly a outstanding character and really well written by Jensen.

So if you'd like to read a Georgian historical fiction book full of adventure, elegance, history, fantastc characters, a wonderful plot (and deeply satisfying ending - everything was tied up great) and one magically written to boot - than this is the one for you! I would give it a age rating of 12+ and a personal rating of 9/10.

The Glimpse
The Glimpse
by Claire Merle
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Really packs a punch, DEFINITELY worth a read!, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Glimpse (Paperback)
[...]

To be be honest, I found it really hard to write this review..

I can't really think of much to say about this book.
I'm speechless!
The Glimpse is one of the, if not the, favourite dysopian book I have ever read.
I loved the pace of this book.There was twist after turn, I couldn't put it down! At the end of every chapter there was something that kept me reading; it was brilliant. The book flowed really well, I couldn't put it down.

The characters were well written and really easy to familiarise with; even some of the bad ones. (Which never happens to me; this shows how much of a epic author Merle is).
And the boys! Never in my life was I so adamant who I wanted the main character to end up with. Though both boys are both fabulous in their own right, (I found Jasper really sweet, but perhaps a little to old fashioned for me). It's Cole, who Ana meets in the city, who stole my heart. I was really hoping that they'd get together. *no spoilers for you, though. Sorry!* I think they're even my favourite book couple. Yes, I love them that much! I can't wait for the sequel to see how everything between them plays out.

The plot was really original too, which was wonderful. I love seeing the new things that get thought up for the dysopian genre, and this book has one of my favourite plots. I could have never have thought of something like it; it's got so much depth too! The different layers to this story shows how much thought Merle has put into it. I really admire and respect her as an author, she really is talented and I can't wait for the sequel! There wasn't one cliffhanger as such; there were lots. I know the follow up will be fabulous. But if the sequel is more phenomenal than this book, I don't think the universe will be able to cope, to be honest. This book was just written so well, there were no plot points, (though this is part of a duet so there will be a few). So this book is fantastic, it really draws you in, and when you're hooked, you're hooked. :)

My favourite character from this book would have to be Ana. She's just so badass, and yet really broken, which I really liked. Not the fact that she is broken, but the fact that you can see that more vunerable side of her; even though she is the main character, and they are usually flawless, so that really impressed me.
Another thing I really liked about her was the fact that she was blonde! No real reason about this one, but I think that you never really see any kickass female characters that are blonde in books!
So I really like Ana; she is witty, flawed but strong, and I just love her character in general. I wish she were real, I know we'd be friends.
So hats off to Merle for this excellent character!

So if you'd like a book that is dysopian YA at it's best; thriller, mystery, romance. Everything you'd really wish for, then what are you waiting for?! go and read this book. You will definitely not regret it! I highly recommend it and have already done to all my friends. Seriously! I cannot recommend it enough. If you even just read this review anf think 'boy, I might read this. It sounds good!' Go and read it. NOW. This book won't just make you think - it'll make you never stop.
If you like this genre of book, or it even sounds that little bit interesting - please read it! You'll enjoy it!
I would give it an age rating of 13+ or mature readers, and a personal rating of 9/10.