Profile for braquesman > Reviews

The Art of American Book Covers: 1875-1930
The Art of American Book Covers: 1875-1930
by Richard Minsky

5.0 out of 5 stars book covers for book lovers, 9 Sept. 2012
I ordered this on spec without knowing anything about it but I assumed it would be about American dust jackets - Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Dashiell Hammett, say. That generation of books by Scribner, Knopf etc has mouth watering wrappers. But this book is not about that at all, but about decorated boards, generally on earlier books. I loved it on opening it though. This is an art book and a book about book art. I'm going out right now to become a squillionaire so that I can own all the books illustrated. In years of haunting bookfairs and second hand bookshops I've seen barely any of these books except the Novel in Woodcuts by Lynd Ward, although there are a few familiar English books in their American incarnation, e.g.California illustrated by Sutton Palmer.There's a 1901 cover for Beowulf by Samuel Harden Church - I always wondered who wrote it!

The author is a collector himself and there is an interesting scholarly introduction, but it's mostly about the plates. Appropriately, there is no dust jacket, but the upper board is attractive in a rich red colour with a gold leaf type decoration. Don't let the sun near that red cover. Finally, the book is for those gentle souls who care about books as objects, so note that I'm writing about a second printing. Oh, the pain. I believe the first printing has purplish boards and is more expensive. But you can't go wrong for aesthetic bookish pleasure with this printing.

Changes - The Story Of Beryl Marsden
Changes - The Story Of Beryl Marsden

5.0 out of 5 stars in praise of beryl marsden, 15 July 2012
I've had her first single since 1963 and I always liked it. All my teenage days were in the sixties and I was doing exams from 1964 onwards. That's the only possible reason for somehow missing everything that came after. Beryl prefers I Know to I Only Care About You but I've never been sure. You can take some of the soul out of the song but you can't take it out of the voice. And what a voice! Barely 16 she wouldn't have been derailed by a backing group of Brenda Lee, Lulu, Rose Maddox, Wanda Jackson and Helen Shapiro.
I elbowed all the rats in the drainpipe aside when Brian Matthews said there was a new collection but it was only to get the first single on CD. But it's a great CD with the voice strong all the way to 2011. En route there are a handful of good sixties singles, a raucous Everybody Loves A Lover At The Cavern, two tracks with Shotgun Express - Rod Stewart, Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood amongst others. Then a jump to 79/81 with a couple of good Blondiesqe tracks and another jump to 2007/2008 for more good songs well sung. She finishes with Bobby Darin's I'll be There, apparently a Cavern closer.
It might be irrelevant, but there's a few Face of the Sixties shots of Beryl in the Booklet and a more mature twinkly eyed Beryl on the back of the box. What a sweetie.
Do yourself a favour if you like the sixties, great female voices singing great songs, and setting the record straight. Buy this and add to Beryl's pension fund.