Profile for Paul Barrett > Reviews

Content by Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett (Galway, Ireland)

Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW for Toploading Camera Bag for DSLR Camera
Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW for Toploading Camera Bag for DSLR Camera
Price: 69.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - 5D MkII, 25 July 2012
Great for carrying around my 5D MkII. Because the camera is fairly big the holster is too but you get used to carrying it around fairly quickly.

Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II
Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera, 3 July 2011
I love this camera. I took it out to a bar with some friends, and although they started off making fun of me wanting to show off my new gadget, once they saw the picture quality they were blown away and all wanted to try shooting stuff with it. My main interest in buying it was for the video mode and it is great. Although there are some problems (compression, rolling shutter, moire are the biggest ones) I'd happily work around them to get the images this thing produces. Due to the full frame sensor, it works great in low light conditions and shallows the depth of field, giving everything a great look when the aperture is opened up.

Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens
Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens
Price: 285.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My first lens, 3 July 2011
I bought this lens to go with a 5D MKII body I bought. The only other camera/lens I had was the 450D with the stock lens, so I'm not sure how much credit should go the camera or the lens. Either was the quality is amazing, pictures come out sharp, the 1.4 aperture is great for low light (esp. combined with 5D's large sensor). I've taken it out to bars and gotten some great shots with it. This is a great lens, even more so considering the price. I'd easily recommend it as a good starter lens.

Swissgear GA-7321-14F00 Mythos 15.6 Inch Laptop Backpack - Black
Swissgear GA-7321-14F00 Mythos 15.6 Inch Laptop Backpack - Black
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 48.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, 15 Jan 2011
When going home from college, I used to bring a backpack and a separate laptop bag. Now I just use this. I can fit everything I used to bring in the two bags and it is very comfortable and doesn't feel heavy. Highly recommended.

LG BE08LU20 AUAE00B 8x External 8x BDRW Kit eSATA and USB
LG BE08LU20 AUAE00B 8x External 8x BDRW Kit eSATA and USB

4.0 out of 5 stars Only been using it to watch Blu-Rays, 15 Jan 2011
I have a Mac, so the only way to watch Blu-Rays is to watch them through this. I haven't tried burning anything with it yet, but I am very happy with it so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2011 2:43 PM GMT

Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner (6400dpi, 3.4 Opt Density, USB 2.0)
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner (6400dpi, 3.4 Opt Density, USB 2.0)
Offered by Office Nerd
Price: 230.02

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for scanning negatives, 20 Feb 2010
I bought this for scanning negatives and for scanning old family photos, and they've been coming out great. The Digital Ice feature worked really well on the few negs I had that needed it, although I haven't used any of the other features yet such as the auto colour restoration as I've been touching them up myself in photoshop.
Another bonus is the fact that it can automatically split a couple of photos if you scan them together. This might be common in printers these days, but I hadn't seen it before.

All in all, I found it easy to use and the scanned photos come out looking great.

Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist
Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist
by Andrew Osmond
Price: 13.14

4.0 out of 5 stars As a Satoshi Kon fan..., 12 Jan 2010
I found this book a pretty interesting read. He goes through all of Kon's work, providing a little background on the making of each one, a detailed synopsis, and a short analysis. Plus it's illustrated with plenty of stills from the 4 films and 1 TV series.

I'd recommend it to any fans of his work, but I don't think the book would be suitable of you haven't seen at least one of them as the synopsis provides a lot of spoilers.

Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide
Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide
by Atsushi Umeda

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 11 Feb 2009
I bought this before spending two weeks in Tokyo after seeing good reviews and I must say it is well worth the money.
The city actually has quite a lot of "you are here" maps around, but I only really used them to see what direction I was facing. After that, all I needed was this.
The most helpful section is the subway map at the front, not to mention the fact that all the subway exits are clearly marked on the main map. I talked to someone who said even locals can have trouble with the subway, but I had no trouble getting anywhere. By the end of my first day I was fully confident to ride off anywhere in the subway and it's thanks to this book.

But simply, if you are going to Tokyo buy this book.