Profile for J. Eden > Reviews

Don't be needy be succeedy: The A to Zee of Motivitality©
Don't be needy be succeedy: The A to Zee of Motivitality©
by L. Vaughan Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, Cry, Succeed - Thank you L-Vo!, 29 Jan 2010
Before I read L. Vaughan Spencer's book, I was unemployed, unsuccessful and my hairstyle was, frankly, shocking. When someone recommended that I read `Don't Be Needy, Be Succeedy', I was dubious as to how a book would be able to help. Happily, I can report that it changed my life. I am now gainfully employed, a true believer in the power of Tong Shui (the Feng Shui of hair) and I am several steps closer to becoming a true Succeeder.

If there's one book you buy this decade (and there really should be at least one), make it `Don't Be Needy, Be Succeedy'. It contains all the wisdom of the Dalai Lama, but in terms that the modern go-getter can relate to - and with better dress sense. L-Vo's understanding of people and the need to succeed has made him the ultimate Gangsta Motivator, whether you need help in business or your personal life.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you may be slightly confused at times, but most importantly you'll be motivitalised. Stop eating food regardless of its initial letter (see The Alphabet Diet for more details) and buy this book.

Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition [DVD]
Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jessica Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have Jaffa Cakes been referenced so beautifully..., 1 Jan 2008
If you're a fan of spectacular comedy writing, this dvd is for you.
If you're a follower of film, television or computer games, this dvd is for you.
If you're a lover of cleverly directed, brilliantly shot material, if you're into watching loveable, complex but completely believable characters, this dvd is for you.
If, however, you're idea of a good night in is sitting down to canned laughter, obvious plotlines and poorly thought out gags, dont go near it.

Spaced is, without a doubt, one of the all time greats when it comes to entertaining a vast range of audiences. Yes, it's surely been enjoyed by "skateboarders" the world over, but not because of too many head traumas (how many IS too many, by the way?).
Pegg and Hynes (nee Stevenson) created an instantly relateable double-series that has become a must-have for fans of comedy. Wright's direction brings a sparkle to the already glittering script, with his quick witted and dynamic style working in perfect harmony with the tone of the show.
The cast could not be bettered - Pegg and Hynes fulfil the lead roles of Tim Bisley and Daisy Steiner with unfaltering dedication and skill, and no matter what storyline they tackle they never fail to be utterly 3-dimensional; I defy anyone to dislike these characters. Katy Carmichael's 'Twist Morgan' is endearingly bitchy, Julia Deakin's 'Marsha Klein' brings a gloriously bitter edge to the group and 'Brian Topp', played by Mark Heap, somehow manages to win the audience's heart with an often childlike vulnerability that shines through his tortured-artist persona. Nick Frost, now renowned as a great comic actor, proves his mettle in an early triumph as Mike Watt, Tim's weapon-obsessed childhood friend.
In fact, one of the most addictive things about Spaced is the relationships explored through the show. The group begins as a number of individuals, but quickly evolves into a tightly knit gang that could thrive for three times as long as they do. But Pegg, Hynes, Wright and the rest of the cast do what so many shows have failed to in the past - quit while they're ahead. Two series will never be enough, but at least we are safe in the knowledge that we will never be disappointed.

The Definitive Collector's Edition is just that - it is a set of perfectly preserved episodes that stand firm either alone or as a collective. The Skip To The End documentary is a joy for those who want a glimpse of the creative process behind the programme, and an abundance of outtakes will keep the deadest of souls laughing for hours.

Really the greatest thing about the series is, in the words of the illustrious Tim Bisley and Daisy Steiner -

Daisy: We live in a fantasy world, Tim. We've just constructed this fake utopia where y'know we never get old and never have to face the responsibilities of adulthood. We're just stretching our childhoods out as far as they can go.
Tim: Yeah, I know. We're lucky aren't we?

You know what? We are.