Profile for IGetPwnedOften > Reviews

Content by IGetPwnedOften

IGetPwnedOften (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mens Designer Oak Brown Tweed Herringbone Vintage Coat Jacket Checked Tan Blazer (52" = 5X-Large, OAK/BROWN)
Offered by MARC DARCY

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely jacket and first class service., 24 Jun. 2015
Before I start I should mention I usually take a 54" in jackets. The largest these go up to is 52", so that's what I ordered.

I bought the matching waistcoat and trousers for this jacket last week, because I believed that another jacket I had would go with them. I was sorely mistaken so I bought this jacket, as I really should have at the time.

The jacket itself is superb. For a start, the sleeves are actually a decent length. I'm 6'4" tall and on most jackets I buy, the sleeves are too short and I have to have them altered. The sleeves here are spot on.

The jacket is a little tight if I button it, but as mentioned before I usually buy a 54 so this is not the fault of the jacket. I don't normally button my jacket so it's a non issue for me, but worth mentioning in the context of this review. The fit across the shoulders is good. I should mention that the waistcoat (bought elsewhere) is also a 52" but fits me perfectly, so I believe the sizes on these come up slightly large, but that's good because it provides a bit of "wiggle room".

There are three inside pockets, one of which buttons for security. The outer pockets are actually pockets, not just a flap sewn on, and it came with a rather fetching brown pocket square too, which is a nice touch.

As for service, I placed the order yesterday and the jacket arrived today. The last order I placed with this vendor arrived the next day too, so absolutely top notch service there.

On the whole, I am deeply satisfied, both with the clothing and the vendor. I will definitely be ordering from them again, and soon.

The Monster Hunter: The Adventures of Benjamin Gaul
The Monster Hunter: The Adventures of Benjamin Gaul
by Kit Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults and children alike., 2 Jan. 2015
For clarity I should point out that the author is an aquaintance of mine, however rest assured I will not let that colour my review, because even if I didn't know Mr. Cox I would still happily recommend this book, especially if you have kids.

I read the book first to make sure it was suitable for my son (nine years old) and thoroughly enjoyed it - the characters are all memorable and the plot rolls along nicely and maintains a decent pace from start to finish. Despite the subject matter, the story retains a pleasing level of realism and a well balanced and believable mix of emotions. One of the great things about this book is that it is more thrilling than scary, so it won't give your kids nightmares but instead acts as a useful tool to introduce them to the genre. It's not the longest book in the world, but I believe this to be something of a benefit as it is long enough to be entertaining without being cluttered with unnecessary "filler".

My son read the whole thing as his bedtime book over the course of about a week. He too enjoyed it and has subsequently been on "monster hunts" of his own in the woods behind our house, much to the delight of his four year old sister who gets to be his sidekick on his adventures.

Heartily recommended for adults, kids and leviathans everywhere - my son can't wait for the next installment and neither can I.

The Jupiter Chronicles: The Ice Orphan of Ganymede: Volume 2
The Jupiter Chronicles: The Ice Orphan of Ganymede: Volume 2
by Leonardo Ramirez

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up to the first book, 17 Jun. 2014
I should mention before starting the review that since the publication of the first book I have become friends with the author on social media, however I like to think that this should be taken as a sign that this is a series of books worth paying attention to.

My son (who is eight) thoroughly enjoyed the first in the series, "The Secret of the Great Red Spot" and upon finishing it immediately asked if there were more books forthcoming, which is one of the reasons I contacted the author in the first place.

I told my son about this book but deliberately kept the release date from him so it was a nice surprise for him when it turned up. Normally he likes to swap chapters - I read him one and then he reads one to me, but in this case after me reading the first chapter he took the book and read the rest of it on his own, again in one sitting.

As with the first book, this one is not overly long but again that is not a bad thing as the pacing is good and the plot flows well. The protagonists from the first book, siblings Ian and Callie, continue their adventures through solar system filled with clockwork robots and steam powered spaceships set in an alternate Victorian era. The introduction of new characters and themes is handled nicely without becoming jarring or confusing.

The relationship between Ian and Callie continues to entertain and will especially resonate with any children who have siblings of their own, although that doesn't mean the book isn't suitable for 'only' children in any way at all.

Mr. Ramirez has produced a great follow up to the first book and this time around we only got about halfway through before my son asked when the next book is due...

The Jupiter Chronicles:The Secret of the Great Red Spot
The Jupiter Chronicles:The Secret of the Great Red Spot

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to science fiction and Steampunk for children, 17 Jun. 2014
I first learned of this book through my involvement with the British Steampunk community, and as my son (who is eight) is a prolific reader and keen on scifi and Steampunk I thought it would be worth a look.

Once the book arrived I read through it myself to make sure it was suitable which it most certainly is. When I showed it to him, he insisted on reading it immediately (he always gets excited over new books). Although he reads very well, like all children he enjoys having stories read to him, so we took it in turns; me reading a chapter and then him reading one to me. Usually we'll read two to four chapters in this fashion before bed, but in this instance he insisted on reading the whole thing straight through.

The plot is an interesting mix of old and new, with Victorian slums on Earth juxtaposed with steam powered rocket ships reminiscient of Flash Gordon. There is intrigue, a villain, space battles and everthing else a child could want, as well as a very down to Earth and believable relationship between the protagonists, siblings Ian and Callie, as they search for their missing father.

The book is relatively short, but this is not a bad thing as the pace of the tale maintains throughout and as it is the first of a series it's a good length for kids to be able to get through and keep a handle on what has gone before. The inclusion of both a boy and girl as main characters means this book should appeal to girls as much as boys, which is always a good thing.

I think the best way to sum up this review is by saying that my son, upon finishing the first book, immediately asked if there were any more in the series.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good costume goggles, 11 Mar. 2013
It should be noted these goggles are made of plastic - the "chrome" parts are not metal and the lenses are plastic so I wouldn't advise wearing them for anything like riding a motorbike, but if you want a set of reasonably light, comfortable goggles that have the look of Halcyon goggles for a costume, which is why I bought them, you won't go far wrong with these.

The only downside I have noted so far is that they tend to fog up rather quickly. This can be resolved easily by smearing a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of mineral oil or similar on the inside of the lens so you get a very thin film to stop the moisture settling.

Builders Brand 1HOP80 Access Hop Up Work Platforms with Secure Locking Mechanism - Lightweight Aluminium, length 80cm
Offered by Tigerbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely strong and versatile, 3 Mar. 2013
I bought this as an alternative to a stepladder to re-felt the shed roof because I didn't want to lean a ladder against the roof and also I'm hopeless on ladders, and this really paid for itself in that one job.

The first thing that impressed me is the solidity of the thing. It has a SWL of 150kg - I weigh 125kg and when I stepped on it, it didn't even twitch; no bending or flexing or anything like that.

The other thing is that this platform seems to be a little higher than most. It stands in at 60cm whereas all the others I looked at are 50cm high, and that extra bit of height really helps. Despite this, it still folds up into a neat little package, small and light enough to store in a cupboard or stick in the boot of the car.

This platform made the re-roofing of my 10'x20' shed a breeze, and I've already had several members of my family ask to borrow it for cleaning a conservatory roof, ceiling painting, gutter cleaning (on a bungalow) and a number of other similar jobs.

If you're looking for a good alternative to a set of steps, look no further.

Batman The Dark Knight Rises Child Gauntlets
Batman The Dark Knight Rises Child Gauntlets
Offered by It's All Fun & Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gloves, 2 Mar. 2013
I bought these for a costume I made for my seven year old son, and while I have modified them somewhat I quite like the gloves as they are. The odd thing is about them is that they are quite short in the fingers. The thumb is fine and and the overall hand size is fine, but the fingers of the gloves are only about half the length of his fingers, for which I have marked them down slightly.

Other than that, I'm happy with these gloves. They are tactile enough for him to wear and play with things and he really likes them. The quality is reasonable and they've stood up to both him playing with them and me drilling holes in them and attaching extra bits to them.

I'll add a picture at some point which shows the gloves in a bit more detail, as the picture on the listing is quite small.
Comment Comment | Permalink

TRIXES 2 Piece Spray Paint Dust Twin Cartridge Respirator Mask/Goggles
TRIXES 2 Piece Spray Paint Dust Twin Cartridge Respirator Mask/Goggles
Offered by Digiflex

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 19 Feb. 2013
Let me start by saying I bought this set because I wanted the mask for a costume I'm making for my son, so I wasn't overly concerned about the other poor reviews and while I'm reasonably happy enough with it for the purpose I bought it, for its intended use it's very poor.

The goggles are very nasty - the lens is flimsy plastic and wasn't fitted correctly in the one I got, and when I tried it on it was extremely uncomfortable to wear.

The mask is tiny. It would perhaps be suitable for a child but I wouldn't rely on it to protect my kids, and the canisters holding the filters are almost impossible to get open to get the filters out and even harder to put back together properly due to the fact that the baseplate the canister covers fit to actually rotates, so it just turns when you try to put the cover back on.

When it comes to protecting your lungs and eyes, cheap is by no means cheerful. Do yourself a favour and spend a little more on quality equipment. Get yourself something from 3M or a similar company or even buy yourself one of those cheap Finnish gas masks elsewhere on this site. I personally use an Army surplus S10 respirator when I'm spray painting or using solvents, and a 3M double filter mask when working in a dusty environment.

I would strongly advise against this set.

Velvet Burgundy Hooded Cloak - Kids Accessory
Velvet Burgundy Hooded Cloak - Kids Accessory
Offered by Mouse2Mat24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dressing up, 14 Feb. 2013
My wife bought this for our three year old daughter. She had recently taken to wearing anything as a cape - towels, rugs, dishcloths, you name it, so we got this for her 3rd birthday as a present and she loves it.

It's actually a lot nicer than I thought it would be and the colour is great. I feel if it was red rather than this burgundy it would be overly bright, but it's still suitable for Red Riding Hood type games. The gold lining is very nice too. The cloak is indeed made of velvet, and as such is pretty tough.

The hood is very deep which is great, and the whole thing ties at the neck with ribbons that match the colour perfectly. I was slightly concerned about the ribbon as I was worried my daughter might get it wrapped around her neck, but as long as it's tied loosely with an appropriate slip knot I don't see this as a problem. For older children it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The cloak is a little long on my daughter, but she is only three and it doesn't really matter as she likes it to 'swoosh' along the floor after her as she sashays down the hall in it. She has a nice little fairy dress she likes to wear and this cloak goes perfectly with it. Funnily enough my seven year old son also likes it, except when he wears it he's a super-hero of course.

On the whole, this is a very nice cloak, especially for the price. If your kids are into dressing up games I would recommend this wholeheartedly.

Smiffy's Steampunk Gun - Gold
Smiffy's Steampunk Gun - Gold
Offered by We Cost Less

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, cheap and fun, 14 Feb. 2013
I bought this for my seven year old son. I made a custom Steampunk gun for him, but it's a bit heavy for him to hold one-handed and also he likes having it hanging on the wall so he can show it off to his friends, so I was looking for a cheap alternative for every day play usage and I have to say I'm very happy with this.

It's a little small in the hands of an adult but perfect for him. The paint scheme on it isn't fabulous but more than adequate and it looks very good (as a model maker I tend to be overly fussy about paint finishes). It's also very light so he can stick it in the waistband of his trousers without dragging them down :-)

Interestingly, it has a battery compartment (with no contacts in it) and part of the barrel rotates, which leads me to believe there is another version of this gun that is motorised. I'm tempted to rig it with lights and a motor just for fun.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with this and my son loves it. If you're looking for a costume weapon for a Steampunk or sci-fi outfit, or you want a cheap but nice looking toy space gun for your children, you won't do much better than this, especially for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3