Profile for Mr. P. HAIGH > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. HAIGH

Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic design - produces perfect burgers every time and is easy to clean, 16 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm impressed with this burger press because whoever designed this put some thought into what they were doing. It is very easy to use and to clean, and you don't have to directly handle raw meat when you use it.

So how does it work? Well in essence it is a fairly simple piece of kit. Fill the press with your burger 'raw ingredients' be they meat or veg, put the top on and press down. However it has some neat features that are worth discussing: First of all it can be set at 4oz or 8oz. Secondly it was incredibly easy to produce a firm burger without resorting to using egg to bind the meat together. Finally, once you've pressed your burger it is very easy to get it out: Remove the top part of the press, then lift the middle piece up at the front (it is hinged at the back) to reveal the burger. Now you can lift the burger out on the small plastic disc that sits at the bottom meaning that (a) you don't need to touch it and (b) it can be transferred for cooking or storage without losing shape or falling apart.

Although it officially only does 4ox and 8oz burgers I've found that you can set it to 4oz but put more ingredients in to create something a bit thicker without any hassle. Finally it is dead easy to clean, mainly because of that removable disk and hinged middle section.

I've been making my own burgers for a couple of years. Now its got a lot easier I will be making them more often - and freezing them too.

Fabri-Tac  113 ml Medium Bottle, Clear
Fabri-Tac 113 ml Medium Bottle, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin - very effective., 16 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until I got hold of fabri-tac I’d been using iron-activated glue strips which were both weak and difficult to apply in all but the simplest situations. A liquid glue is much easier to apply.

I’ve used fabricate to ‘fix’ a drooping trouser hem and to patch a torn coat. Fabri-tac was particularly good for the coat and has survived a wash with the trousers - so far so good.

I can see this stuff being good for emergency repairs because it dries quickly - in fact you need to be well organised because once exposed to the air this glue sets very quickly. A bit like UHU for clothes if you like, including being a bit stringy.

Overall however this glue does exactly what it says it will and I’m impressed. Easy to use and quick to set. Perfect for clothing repairs and probably pretty good for craftwork too.

Methven Maku Satinjet Handset with Chrome Finish (MAHPCPUK)
Methven Maku Satinjet Handset with Chrome Finish (MAHPCPUK)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great design for a thorough showering experience, 21 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression of this shower head was so-so. It isn't adjustable and I'm a bit particular about my shower. However I've completely fallen in love with it from its first use.

My shower is one part of a combined bath taps and shower head unit and as such it runs straight from my demand boiler. No power shower pump, no hot water tank. The water pressure is good and this shower head is designed to give an even yet wide spread jet, so the combination of the two makes for a great showering experience.

If you like getting thoroughly wet in the shower, and don't mind the fact that it isn't adjustable, this is a great shower head,

Hama Dispersion Headset -  Purple
Hama Dispersion Headset - Purple
Offered by ExpressPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is fine but these headphones are too big for many people, 9 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sound-wise they are perfectly acceptable and will work with any PC that has separate audio in and out. But they are unlikely to fit well, and are the wrong colour for most of the people that they will fit!

What do I mean? Well, as an adult male with a (slightly) larger than average head I needed to make no adjustment at all to the headband when I put them on. I got these with the intention of passing them on to my daughter once I'd tested them, and add her views to the review. Unfortunately they are just too big for her - or for most of the adult women I've since asked to try them on. They are also too big for a significant proportion of the blokes I tested them on.

Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - White
Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, easy to use and good quality - at a good price for bluetooth, 9 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not owned any Beats headphones before but I have over the years owned high-end headphones from Bose and Sony, and high-end in-ear headsets from Sennheiser and Atomic Floyd.

My initial impression was one of quality. Typical "unboxing experience" packaging which wasn't too difficult to figure out and made almost entirely from easily recyclable materials contained the headphones, a charging cable, some different grommet sizes and a carry case.

As advised I started by charging. There is a small LED on top of the left earpiece (next to the power button) which starts off red (charging) before turning white (charged). The charge socket (on the underside) has a silicone cap to keep dirt and sweat out. The traditional volume and pause/answer buttons are inline on the flat connecting cable.

Pairing was simple and these days you can expect zero problems when pairing with pretty much any bluetooth device but for the record I tried an iPad air, Nexus 5 and HTC One M8 - no problems. Battery life is quoted as six hours. I've used them for two and a half in a day due to my commuting regime, but I've had no problems using them for a couple of days between charges. In use the volume and pause/answer buttons are easy to use and call quality is good (with the usual proviso that you don't have the wind blowing in your face and therefore the microphones).

All good so far. However I've found a couple snags whilst in use. Now these are probably quite personal things so I've not penalised Beats/Apple for these.

First, I've found it difficult to get a satisfying combination of grommets and ear hooks. The ear hooks are adjustable and I've been able to get them shaped such that they are comfortable such that things don't move around. But the grommets don't feel right in my ears - I can't tell if they are sealing properly (it doesn't feel like it). I've tried different sizes but with no success. I think this is down to having both grommets and hooks, a combination I'm not used to - I had no problems with my Atomic Floyd in-ear headset (in fact it still rates as the best wired headset I've ever used).

Second, the silicone covered flat cable linking the two earpieces together is a pain; whenever I turn my head even slightly it will snag on something and then an earpiece starts to move around or even get pulled out. Because the cables come out of the bottom of the earpieces it isn't as simple as using the cable grab to keep the wire short and above the neck. If you're sweaty and wearing a t-shirt this is probably not going to be so much of a problem. Even less so if you're using them in the gym and therefore not moving your head around so much.

My only non-personal criticism almost lost the headphones a star. The sound. It's better than average for bluetooth over most of the range but lacked any punch in the bass (ironic given that the name of the product). However having let a couple of friends try them out I've actually come to the conclusion that the grommets just aren't sealing in my ears properly, so I'm going to hunt down some slightly bigger ones.

Overall these are a great product. Excellent build quality, light weight and enough battery life to run a marathon slowly. Getting a good seal with the grommets is essential though - try them all before deciding which work best for you.

Telecam TCE2000 LTE Indoor Aerial TV Antenna
Telecam TCE2000 LTE Indoor Aerial TV Antenna
Offered by Glaxio

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but tricky to get in the right spot, 29 Sept. 2014
For my situation I found that this aerial didn't work. The main problem turned out to be that it needs to be on a flat surface like a table or shelf. The trouble was that I was unable to re-arrange my furniture to get a strong and reliable signal. This aerial definitely works, but only if you have a flat surface available at the right height and on the right side of the room to get maximum signal. Even when it was in the best spot the signal was still on the weak side and even a small change of position would kill reception dead.

I had much better results with the AKORD® FREEVIEW HD DIGITAL TV AERIAL.

AKORD® FREEVIEW HD DIGITAL TV AERIAL - HIGH GAIN - PORTABLE INDOOR DVB-T TELEVISION
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you find the right mounting spot - it's brilliant, 29 Sept. 2014
Living in a flat in an old London house I've struggled to find a good indoor digital aerial for a second TV receiver; this was my third attempt after I read of a similar kind of aerial giving good results. Initial results were patchy but I persevered and once I'd found the right spot to mount it I got great results.

The aerial itself is a pair of flexible plastic sheets sandwiching the array of aerial elements. It has heavy duty adhesive on one side and at the bottom a moulded plastic chunk out of which comes the aerial cable, which itself is a good ten feet long at least.

Now I suspect that the idea is to stick the aerial to a window (which I think would work well) but as I didn't know where the signal would be best I opted instead to build myself a small mount that could be hung from a picture hook, and this worked well because I was able to put the aerial in exactly the best spot for the strongest signal.

To do this you need to be able to display signal strength on your TV so that you can see how it changes as you move the aerial up and down, change its orientation (rotate it and signal strength will change) and try different walls of the room (the walls on the side of the room closest to the transmitter will be best, and you can locate your local transmitter using the internet).

I don't get all the channels that I can see using my main (shared) aerial but I do get the vast majority and far more than I've been able to get using a conventional internal antenna, or by using a signal booster. Buying this was a gamble, but a gamble that paid off.

Ultrasport Men's Seamless Thermo Base Layer - Black, Large/X-Large
Ultrasport Men's Seamless Thermo Base Layer - Black, Large/X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, flexible and effective at a great price., 29 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Labelled an underwear set I'd really call it a sub-layer. It comes as a top and a pair of leggings, the material feels fantastic and as promised is seamless and close-fitting. A good start and I was keen to try them out, so I took off for a 30 mile training run on my bike and was not disappointed.

First of all yes, this is definitely a winter sub layer; on a cool morning (15-18 Celsius) it was a bit more than I really needed. That said, layer worked as well as any other sub-layer I've used (I'm currently using Craft tops and Under Armour medium weight leggings) and I had good mobility all round.

I don't ski but I do cycle and sail, these will come in very handy through the winter and are very competitively priced.

Ultranatura Petri Heil Foldable Fishing Chair
Ultranatura Petri Heil Foldable Fishing Chair
Offered by SHL GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars It unfolds easily (ditto folding up) and the front legs can be ..., 26 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can I say about this fishing chair? Well it arrived in a handy black bag with a shoulder strap, so you've still got both hands free for carrying other stuff - and it isn't too heavy, weighing in at just over 2.5kg. It unfolds easily (ditto folding up) and the front legs can be pinned down with (for example) tent pegs if needed. The material looks nice and robust; I can take or leave the cup holder.

My only, minor, criticism - which has removed a star from my rating - is that the stitching work is poorly finished which may compromise the lifespan of the chair. Of course this can be resolved with small dabs of thin super glue wherever the end of a thread is visible, trimming the excess thread after the glue is dry. A simple process that will hopefully prevent the stitching unravelling.

Elementary - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Elementary - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jonny Lee Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly executed alternative to Sherlock, 29 Aug. 2014
I devoured Elementary Series 1 inside a week and couldn't wait for Series 2 to arrive. I've watched four of the six DVDs so far in the two days I've had them and I'm really enjoying the new series - more than the first. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are fantastic and the other characters (actors names redacted to avoid spoilers) are also well executed. Roll on series three is all I can say.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20