Profile for DC > Reviews

Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1
Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1
by Sophie Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, 28 Mar 2007
It does what it says on the tin I suppose - a formulaic, bland, adequately written piece with the architypal twist at the end (which I suspected from about half way in).

It's not the type of book I'd normally read, but I thought I'd give it a go.

It'll do, if you like that type of thing!

Blue Shoes And Happiness (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Vol-7)
Blue Shoes And Happiness (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Vol-7)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Well of course it's going to get 5 stars.., 1 Feb 2007
If you like the series enough to be on book number 7, surely you can't give it anything other than 5 stars?!!

I love these little books (they're unchallenging, sweet little things that make me feel good about the world), and have just realised there's an 8th instalment on its way to look forward to....yipee!

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well, and then..., 12 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
The first third or so of the book is something quite special. I was drawn in by the eloquent portrayal of Amir and Hassan's childhood, Amir's fundamentally flawed relationship with his father, and the questionable workings of the mind of this young boy, who wants so badly to do right, but just can't.

But soon after the rape, the writing and plot take almost as bad a turn for the worse as Amir's life. At various points (you know the ones) I literally burst into laughter as the ludicrous nature of some of the 'twists'. My husband took the hint and just read the first section, which he enjoyed. It's difficult to recommend a book with such low points, but perhaps for the high points in the first third, it's worth a go.