Profile for G. Horton > Reviews

G. Horton

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Was like watching the first rehearsal where the actors get together ..., 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (DVD)
Was like watching the first rehearsal where the actors get together except that they knew their lines. Katherine Schlesinger was so unrealistic and Peter Firth was awful and strange. They didn't even believe that they were the characters for a little bit of the film. Waste of time and money.

Suffragette (My Story)
Suffragette (My Story)
by Carol Drinkwater

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for young children. They should have left some ..., 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Suffragette (My Story) (Paperback)
Not for young children. They should have left some details out - my story books are often in primary schools.

Pathology Of Power
Pathology Of Power
by Cousins Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars I know this book from an audiobook and I am buying the book now so I can use it as a reference., 23 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Pathology Of Power (Paperback)
I cannot comment on the "The pathology of power" as a book as I have not yet read it. However, I look forward to reading it so that I can better take in the information I have gained from the audiobook version (I have been listening to it whilst driving - not the best way to concentrate). There is much in it which is hard to believe, but I am sure is true. Stories of useless weaponry produced at inordinate cost, and stuff that leaves one lost for words. For instance, the author talks of a gun - the Sergeant York - which was used for downing planes. It was known to be a dud, but was nevertheless produced and tested. In trials it was tested by firing at unmanned planes used purely as targets. Unfortunately, it was pretty much rubbish at hitting them so some trickery was resorted to. Because of the danger of unmanned planes coming out of control and crashing they were fitted with explosives which could be detonated from the ground to destroy them without causing damage to people or property. So, in the tests the gun would be fired at a plane (and almost inevitably missed), and after a few seconds the plane would be exploded remotely. This farce was repeated for the whole group of aircraft and the Sergeant York gained a 100% record. There is also the tale of the rifle - the M16 - that was eschewed by the Vietnamese because it was useless. the Vietnamese were poorly supplied and, obviously, when they had killed or captured the American enemy they stripped them of anything that may be useful - in the way of weaponry or materials. But they wouldn't take the M16 because it was so damned dangerous - to the person firing it!
There is also a great deal of discussion of the sense of using nuclear weapons and the ethics regarding the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
Pathology for power, has such amazing information that it will, I think make one laugh (at absurdity), despair (at the absurdity that is beyond laughter) and provide much food of thought. I strongly urge everyone to read it.

Who on Earth is Tom Baker? - An Autoiography
Who on Earth is Tom Baker? - An Autoiography
by Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Admittedly based on incomplete knowledge..., 22 Feb. 2007
I had the good fortune to buy the audiobook for 20 pence, as it was being disposed of by the local library. However I only got to hear half of the audiobook - the second tape having broken: hence a price of 20 pence. I buy a great number of audiobooks to listen to in the car and, what the hell! I tried it out. It was absolutely brilliant, and the absence of the second tape a great tragedy. This one tape was one of the most wonderful pieces of life as art, of laugh out loud humour. Since I had that tape I have been desperately been trying to get a complete audiobook, but, unfortunately, I think the Dr Who freaks have set their hearts on it and I have lost my nerve at the internet auctions. I am purchasing the hardback, and look forward to it, but I still wish to get an audiobook to listen to in the stress of inner city traffic.

It has surprised me that Tom Baker is not known as a writer - I don't know if this is because he has not applied himself to it or because of some prejudice against a luvvy in a children's soap.