Profile for J. Burling > Reviews

Content by J. Burling

J. Burling (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Corsair CMFAIR-VA2-1000-EU Voyager Air 2 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Wireless Hard Drive - Black
Offered by SUPER COMPUTERS

3.0 out of 5 stars Speedy hard drive, wireless features are OK, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a hard drive, this is an excellent (if bulky) unit. Files copy rapidly over USB 3.0, and even USB 2.0 speeds are relatively quick. The hard drive looks very smart, and has a rubber rim on the bottom to prevent vibrations/noise. It's very quiet, even when reading/writing lots of data.

The added wireless features are a bit of a mixed bag. The app that goes with this is a little clunky, but it's useful (for example) for streaming media on devices that don't have much internal storage, or when you just want to take a lot of media with you when travelling. However, the fact that the device doesn't have a LAN port and you have to connect to the drive's own wifi network makes things a little bit cumbersome and limits the cases in which this is useful. If you've got a wireless laptop, connected to your home wifi, you'd have to disconnect from that to connect to this. The lack of LAN port means that you can't plug it in to your home network and transfer/share files that way, which is a bit of a let down - previous models did have this, so I'm not sure why it's been omitted here, as it would make an OK hard drive a great one.

Overall, this is a unique hard drive, with some wireless features that can be useful, but personally, I wouldn't buy another.

Bitmore Juucee 2600mAh Ultra Compact Portable Battery Backup Charger with LED Torch
Offered by zoombits

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little charger, 28 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a handy little charger, ideal for emergencies, or if your phone battery won't stand up to a day's full use.

A short (~15cm) micro USB cable is included in the box, however, there is no convenient place to store it with the charger. It's not quite long enough to wrap around the charger, so I end up just leaving it lose in my bag. I frequently use it to charge an Android device when I'm out and about and have drained the battery. I can't speak for the length of time required for a full charge, but it charges the device quickly enough when my battery is low (<10%) so that I can call/text, etc.

The charger is turned on my means of a switch on the side, which also activates the LED torch.

The black surface feels almost rubberised, and stands up to a fair bit of abuse.

The torch itself is quite bright, though I personally can't see a scenario where I'd use it.

TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White
TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White

4.0 out of 5 stars It stays relatively cool, even after being on for extended periods of ..., 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bulb lights quickly, and gives out a bright white light. It definitely doesn't fall into the "warm white" category, however, but the light distribution is even.

It stays relatively cool, even after being on for extended periods of time. The white surrounding is OK, but looks out of place if you are fitting it into chrome light fititings.

Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Offered by Surplus Trade Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bright bulb, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I want to start by saying that this bulb is bright. Most of my existing halogen bulbs are 40W, and the extra 10W (equivalent) are very apparent. The individual LEDs are well distributed, and the bulb as a whole is very smart looking.

The grey portion of the bulb is a gloss plastic, other Philips bulbs I have used in the past have a matt finish on this part of the bulb.

The only drawback of this bulb is that even at it's dimmest setting, it's still rather bright, not great for couples where one half gets up early and gets ready with the lights dimmed.

Aside from that, the light distribution is excellent, and isn't quite as clinical-white as some other LED bulbs I have used.

NETGEAR XAVB5401-100UKS Powerline 500 Nano PassThru 1 Port Adapter Kit
NETGEAR XAVB5401-100UKS Powerline 500 Nano PassThru 1 Port Adapter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to expand your home network., 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very happy with these powerline adapters - they are fast, and I've had no interruption of signal since using them. Whilst not especially small, the top-mounted ethernet port is invaluable. I'm using mine in a plug socket along the skirting board, and have found it fiddly to get the ethernet cables to fit (normally have to resort to using an unbooted cable).

I'm currently using mine to connect a Raspberry Pi to my home network and stream videos from a NAS drive, and it suits this use perfectly.

Cirrus Earplugs Premium Soft Foam
Cirrus Earplugs Premium Soft Foam

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and effective, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use these earplugs when I want to guarantee a good night's sleep, and they're very effective. I occasionally sleep with the window open, and have previously been woken up by outside noise. With these in, no outside noises wake me up (though fortunately, I can still hear my alarm clock) and they are comfortable enough that I'm not aware of them during the night.

Reon 4.5W LED GU10 Energy Saving Spot Light (Replaces 50W Halogen Bulbs)
Reon 4.5W LED GU10 Energy Saving Spot Light (Replaces 50W Halogen Bulbs)
Offered by Surplus Trade Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, but not warm, 8 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pretty happy with this bulb, the light is bright and crisp - but I would definitely not describe it as warm, especially compared to traditional halogen bulbs. Because of this, it tends to show up dust and defects more than a traditional bulb.

Heat output is minimal, and it barely feels warm to the touch.

The only drawback is that the outer casing is white plastic. This makes the bulb look cheap, and is especially out of place is chrome light fittings. It's inconvenient to not be able to dim this bulb, but at the price point, you can't complain.

Weetabix Golden Syrup Biscuits 24 (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Golden Syrup Biscuits 24 (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fancier than normal Weetabix, 12 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of regular Weetabix, and these are an excellent alternative. The golden syrup flavour isn't particularly strong, but it's just enough to jazz up the flavour so that you don't feel that you have to add your own toppings and/or flavourings.

I'd recommend these to anyone who likes regular Weetabix and would like something different enough to make a change, but enough like Weetabix to still be familiar. It's worth nothing that per brick, they contain about twice the sugar than standard Weetabix (which is still minimal compared to more sugary cereals (Frosties et al)).

Alpen Light Lemon Drizzle Bars 19 g (Pack of 5)
Alpen Light Lemon Drizzle Bars 19 g (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bars, 11 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice taste to these bars, delicious lemon flavour and just the right size for breakfast or mod morning snack. Would definitely buy again.

Philips Master LED GU10 Spot 4W (35W replacement) Dimmable, Warm White
Philips Master LED GU10 Spot 4W (35W replacement) Dimmable, Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clean and bright, tremendously expensive, 10 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very impressed with this bulb, having replaced a dead 35W halogen spotlight, in a light fitting containing two other 35W lights. It is easily as bright and white (if not, brighter and whiter) than the other bulbs in the fitting, and puts out far less heat.

As another reviewer has mentioned, though these bulbs are dimmable, they don't dim in the same fashion as traditional bulbs. With a traditional halogen spotlight, the light becomes warmer and more yellow when dimmed, whereas these just put out less light.

The cost is also prohibitively expensive. I'm sceptical as to whether or not I will see the cost saved over the life time of the bulb, especially when traditional halogen spotlights are so cheap. I would love to replace all the spotlights in my house with these, but it's not practical from a cost perspective.

On the whole, I would recommend these bulbs, but I would hope that the cost will come down in the near future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3