Profile for Kristian > Reviews

Content by Kristian

Kristian

Meenee MNW737 13.3 inch 3rd Generation Laptop (Dual Core N570, 2GB RAM , 320GB HDD, Bluetooth, Webcam, Wi-Fi, Ubuntu) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 12 April 2013
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it shipped with Ubuntu 12:04, earlier reviews had me expecting an older version and I was happy not having to have to upgrade. Ubuntu being half the reason i bought this laptop, I have really no comments on the OS. It's fast, sleek and not paying any fees to M$ is just plain awesome. For anyone not used to running this great Linux-based distro, i highly recommend giving it a try. It's virus-free, user friendly and it looks great.

Going back to the machine itself, it is a pretty descent laptop given it's price. Not to say stylish - I just love the minimalistic, slick look that it has. Sure, it's no 1000$ macbook (even if it might look like one), so the quality of the case is not really comparable in the same way being plastic and all. But the casing feels sturdy and durable, and so i don't really see this as much of an issue. The keyboard is great, it is really comfortable typing on and it feels sturdy enough (although only time can reveal the quality).

However, the computer is not free from flaws. Although this is minor and did not deter me from buying, a battery that lasts 3h is pretty bad. With chromebooks shipping at similar price and similar hardware offering 7 hours of battery, it's not really that much to ask for a longer lasting battery. If it could have just lasted 2-3 hours more, this laptop would have been almost perfect when it comes to portability.

For some reason, the Meenee only has one headphone/microphone jack. This doesn't really affect me, as my external mic uses USB, but it might be an issue for others with skype-headset.

Also, I should warn you about the trackpad. Even though it feels pretty nice moving your fingers about it, and it is responsive enough, you need to apply way to much force in order to click. It's just not intuitive and very annoying. Secondly, if you happen to come in contact with the touchpad with your other hand while using it, the curser just freaks out. It's actually mildly amusing watching the mouse curser fly about at completely random directions if you move about the touchpad with two fingers. Don't know if it's a driver issue or just bad hardware, but it's pretty annoying either way. So I would recommend using and external mouse and disabling the trackpad altogether (which is easily done by pressing Fn + F2).

Other than that, I have no complaints what so ever, and the issues that do exist are pretty bearable for me. I would definitively recommend it to anyone looking for a sleek, lightweight and inexpensive laptop.

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Price: 91.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 25 Mar 2013
I am deeply impressed with this microphone. The sound quality is impeccable, and although it doesn't say so, works like a charm under Ubuntu Linux. I've fo far only used it to record my guitar and thus used the monodirectional setting, and I almost think it sounds better recorded than it does IRL. For 79 when i bought it, this is an bargain. Buy it while you can! :D