Profile for Alison > Reviews

Content by Alison

Alison "Alison" (Ellesmere, Shropshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
The Little French Guesthouse: The perfect feel good summer read (La Cour des Roses Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Jun. 2016
This book even smells of France. The characters are well drawn and very credible, I can see them all in my mind's eye and can imagine meeting them in a typical French cafe. The book is both funny and sad in places, making me alter between laughing and crying. I am really looking forward to reading the sequel.

Rosie's Cèilidh
Rosie's Cèilidh

3.0 out of 5 stars Americanisms, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Rosie's Cèilidh (Kindle Edition)
I wish that there weren't so many Americanisms in what otherwise would have been a lovely book about a young girl, her dog and a beautiful island. Unfortunately, it feels as though it was written by an American for Americans, with little thought that Scottish Islanders wouldn't speak or think in American slang, i.e. 'gotten'. I know I sound picky, but it spoilt the book for me.

The Devil and the Dark Island (Scottish Island Novels)
The Devil and the Dark Island (Scottish Island Novels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Americanisms, 16 Jun. 2016
I would have given this series five stars, but the Islanders would not have used such Americanisms as gotten in conversation with each other and this spoilt it for me, rather. Picky, I know, but they wouldn't.

Clematis florida 'Sieboldii' 15cm Deep Pot Size
Clematis florida 'Sieboldii' 15cm Deep Pot Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Plant., 4 Jun. 2016
This is a lovely plant in very good condition. Well packaged and arrived intact and healthy. This is a beautiful plant and the price is competitive.

A Slippery Slope
A Slippery Slope

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 29 May 2016
This review is from: A Slippery Slope (Kindle Edition)
This book kept me hoping and wishing for a happy ending right up until the end as there were a lot of twists and turns along the way. I have never been to Meribel, nor to the Alps in winter, but the location was so well described I now feel as though I've been skiing there for years. The people were equally well described and she made them come alive. Emily writes the most amazing books; I can't wait to read the next one.

Hope For Mr. Darcy (Hope Series Trilogy Book 1)
Hope For Mr. Darcy (Hope Series Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 7 May 2016
In some ways this is a credible variation of the P&P theme, others it is just too unbelievable and stretches the imagination just a little too much. There are also quite a few Americanisms in the book and I don't believe that the author has done enough research into the language of the era. In this respect she is not at all true to Jane Austen, but this is true of how she deals with the whole of Elizabeth's illness, on which the whole book hangs. It's a real pity this wasn't picked up by the publishers.

To sum up it was a readable romance, but the vocabulary and the behaviour of the characters wasn't always of the period, which is a great pity.

Ninety Days of Summer (Goldebury Bay Book 1)
Ninety Days of Summer (Goldebury Bay Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 30 April 2016
This is a wonderful romance, with lots of twists and turns in it. I loved it and couldn't put it down. The characters were well drawn and credible, the scenery was so well described that I feel as though I was there with them. I am looking forward to reading the other books by this author.

Catch A Falling Star: A Hideaway Down Novel
Catch A Falling Star: A Hideaway Down Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Romance, 21 April 2016
I have just discovered this author. She writes romances, rather than books about sex. Her novels always have a twist to them, or at least the three I've read have. Her characters are well drawn, they're not all stunningly beautiful, or incredibly wealthy, they're you and me. They're suitable for anyone aged 14 to 100 and they're free on Kindle Unlimited. What could be better? Put the kettle on and start reading!

A Wizard of Earthsea: The First Book of Earthsea (The Earthsea Quartet 1)
A Wizard of Earthsea: The First Book of Earthsea (The Earthsea Quartet 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 11 April 2016
I first read this book as a child and read it over and over again. I was delighted when I found it available as an Ebook and the story is just as spellbinding now as it was then. This was written long before Harry Potter, but the two have many similarities, but I think Ursula is the better writer.

The Meryton Murders: A Mystery Set in the Town of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 3 April 2016
This book didn't do a lot for me. I found the plot rather contrived and am not convinced that gentry in England in 1814 were using the word gotten, which to me is an Americanism. I don't think that this is one of the better books set on Pride and Prejudice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13