Profile for efm > Reviews

Content by efm

efm

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed with size, 9 Dec. 2013
These are not 20cm tall, 20cm long maybe. I would not have bought these if the dimensions had been correctly listed, they are just too small.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 9 Dec. 2013
These are not 20cm tall, 20cm long maybe. I would not have bought them if the dimensions were listed correctly as they are just too small.

Childbirth and the Future of Homo Sapiens
Childbirth and the Future of Homo Sapiens

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to change the future?, 24 Aug. 2013
There is no getting away from it, this is an important book. You should read this if you are a mother, or one day plan to be, or don't plan to be, or a healthcare professional, or infact any human being at all. There are many thousands of research articles out there giving clues as to why chronic diseases, autism, asthma, and birth difficulties (to name just a few) are all increasing. Michael Odent is the one joining the dots and drawing out the full picture for us.

Is it really possible that we need modern science to awaken our common sense? In a world that needed science to show that a woman (in labour or otherwise) should drink when she's thirsty, it would appear we do. Odent makes a compelling (and extremely well supported) argument that it is time to apply science to the question of how babies are born and the implications this has for us as a species.

An extremely readable book, but one that needs more than one read...enjoy!

Birth & Sex: The Power and the Passion
Birth & Sex: The Power and the Passion
by Sheila Kitzinger

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing book, 28 Jan. 2013
This book is thorough and well researched yet very very readable and accessible for all. Sheila Kitzinger dips into, and draws on many different areas of knowledge and research, history and cross cultural perspectives and manages to put it all together in a book that will inform and inspire women (and hopefully a few men!). I think the books appeal goes far beyond pregnancy and raises important questions about our society. An absolute must read for healthcare providers as well as childbearing women.

You, Me and the Breast
You, Me and the Breast
by Monica Calaf

3.0 out of 5 stars children love this book!, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
I had trouble working out who this book was aimed at. Some of the details are very specific (babywearing, feeding into toddlerhood) and wouldn't apply to all breastfeeding families, so the use of 'you' I found odd. It almost felt like a memoir of a specific breastfeeding relationship. My 2 yr old niece, had no such difficulty, she came back to the book again and again and seemed to love that this was something she could relate to. This is how she summed it up: 'I like it, the baby has lady milk'. So I guess that answers who its aimed at!

Like a Flower: My Years of Yoga with Vanda Scaravelli
Like a Flower: My Years of Yoga with Vanda Scaravelli
by Sandra Sabatini

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and beautiful, 11 Jan. 2013
A truly lovely book, Like a Flower takes you on a journey to explore the author's relationship not only with Vanda, but with yoga itself. In doing so, it offers insight into the heart of yoga, not as twisting the body into elaborate poses but simplicity in contact with the breath and body and a letting go instead of striving to achieve. In short, I found the book inspirational and will read it again, and probably, again.

Awakening the Spine: Yoga for Health, Vitality and Energy
Awakening the Spine: Yoga for Health, Vitality and Energy
by B. K. S. Iyengar

4.0 out of 5 stars seeds of change, 4 Jan. 2013
This book won't teach you how to do yoga, but it might teach you why to do yoga. To start with I was a little disappointed with the book as I was looking for instruction but once I settled into the pace and what the book had to offer I found it inspiring and a strangely calming read!
Could this book change your life? If you let it, yes. I'm not talking over night revolutionary change but seeds of change, if you nurture them they will grow and grow, if you ignore them, they will lie dormant, waiting for the right time. This book may appeal to beginners and those who already practice yoga and is a book I know I will read again and again, getting something different from it each time.