Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Death in a Northern Town 2: No Rest for the Living
Death in a Northern Town 2: No Rest for the Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read, 14 Aug 2014
Cracking book. The first book had to establish the characters and maybe was bit slower to get going because of it but now they are well rounded and going about their business in ever more hilarious ways. The listing of the undead has been mentioned before as being distracting but when you realise that the undead are real local people who have asked to be killed in ever gruesome ways on Pete's Facebook page then you are more accepting of it. DIANT is more than a book it is an exploration of a little known town in the Northwest of England and gives insights into the lives of people there in a funny (but not nasty and sneering way).

The story now moves on from the outbreak and introduces those who are struggling to survive the apocalypse and those using it as an excuse to exploit the situation. Not only has the story moved on but the writing has improved greatly and gives an insight into Pete's development as a comedy horror writer. It is funnier than than the first book and leads you wanting to know more about the main characters, one of which is 80's Dave in danger of reaching cult status and Butty who is eccentric as ever. Expect plenty of surprises as the characters try to get to grip with their situation and unwittingly fall foul of a local maniac in their survival attempts. Won't put in any spoilers but be ready to be surprised at the antics of the survivors. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to many more, the characters grow on you in this second book and the fun and gore are more balanced.

I must confess I know Pete having worked (in a tedious job) with him for some years before he moved on and have also taken photographs for the social events and music video for publicity for the books (for free I may add as I believe in what he is doing and have not received any free books or any other payment, hence this review after my purchase, see Death in a Northern Town Facebook page and get involved yourself, lots of people have given their free time and tremendous effort in support of this project). However, I know just from talking to Pete over the years that these books have been planned for a long time and are a labour of love, done for not much material gain but more for the expression of interest in people around him and the chance to be creative with it.

Pete is destined to be a great comedy/horror writer and it is illuminating to be there at the beginning of his career. It can't be easy writing, working full time and bringing up a young family as well as organising a horror festival in Halton but Pete seems to have the energy for all of it. Good luck and when is the third book out?

RAID!
RAID!

4.0 out of 5 stars Short play, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: RAID! (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable short romp involving a robbery at a post office. The Betty character is especially funny with the surrounding farce. Looks like an early piece of work from the author and some spelling mistakes but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the it.

Maxell CR1616 3 Volt Lithium Battery
Maxell CR1616 3 Volt Lithium Battery
Offered by Annova (UK) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars works a charm, 5 Dec 2012
Cost me £15 last time to get a battery change for my Casio Wave Cepter watch,done it myself this time, no problems.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700X35C Wired Tyre with Smartguard Reflective S/Wall 890g (37-622) - Black
Offered by Service Champions

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tyres, 8 July 2010
These tyres are ace. Before I bought these tyres I used to get a puncture at least once a week and one day I got two, one early morning on my way to work and the other on my way home.

I cycle 26 miles to and from work every day, over every type of terrain, including tarmac, gravel, woodland and even through brambles at one stage. I have not had a puncture yet, even on my final stage of my journey on to a housing estate with broken glass from irresponsible people dropping beer bottles.

If Schwalbe want a test driver and want to throw some test tyres my way I will happily accept them. So far they have been a great purchase, well worth the extra expense.