Profile for Harvs > Reviews

Content by Harvs

Harvs (London, UK)

In Car Holder for Apple Iphone 6 / 6 Plus / 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 and IPOD series 2015 Model
Offered by Best Digital Market

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Product, 21 Feb. 2014
Worked really well and doesn't have the annoying limitations of a case type holder. Suction to window was solid! Def recommend!

Lois on the Loose
Lois on the Loose
by Lois Pryce

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but a little Loose on the details, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
I must say, I'm a little surprised at how many 5 stars this book got. After reading those same 5 star Reviews, I decided that it was probably worth downloading and tucked in on the tube.

As with most people, I did think the book was entertaining. The idea of giving up everything for a massive trek across 2 continents with all the splendour and anticipation that would bring. And it did start off so well! The build up was fantastic and like Lois, I was probably just as excited about her first day as she was!

However, it kind of went a little downhill from there. Considering she was on the road for 8 months, the book feels a little empty. There are times when whole countries are dispatched in one or two pages with barely any content about them at all. It's this vagueness, not just about her journey, but also about herself that really lets this book down. There must have been so many wonderful things to have seen, so many wonderful people she could have met and so many little events that she could have written about.

What we get however are pages and pages about what things grinded her about this country, and what things grinded her about that country. At times, I was wondering why she didn't pack her bags and just leave; she seemed to hate pretty much all of South America. Not just this, it's quite apparent that she never really got to know any of the locals. The majority of the people she writes about are not from the country she is in, but fellow bikers who she meets along the way. Did she even bother to stop in a city for more than few days to actually get to know the people? And this shows through in the way she writes about her travels. It almost seems she is disconnected from the world around her. Perhaps this was really the case, but I never got the feeling that I was getting to know Lois. We are never really let truly into her world. We just get what annoyed her on the trip, whether it be bad food, bad locals or bad companions. When she does eventually get to the end, you don't feel like you've accomplished anything with her - her arrival at Ushuaia explained away in all but two paragraphs.

What bothered me a lot was also the way she writes about Amalia. Lois makes herself sound like a Saint whilst making Amalia sound like an arrogant b*tch. This may be true about Amalia - but it's painfully obvious how she feels about Amalia. Without delving into any details, Lois has a distinct lack of any sympathy with what happens to Amalia and we are never told what eventually unfolds.

For me, a good travel book puts you in the heart of the action, makes you emotionally involved with the country you're in. Not being a biker myself, I felt like Lois and her biker friends were in their own little world and, just like the Gap Year Students she describes, not really immersed in any culture. It takes more than a few days in a country or town to understand it and appreciate it. This may have happened, but it never comes across in the book.

Overall, an entertaining read for a flight or on the beach - but not as epic as it could have been

Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Tour High Resolution In-Ear Headphones
Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Tour High Resolution In-Ear Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 7 Mar. 2010
When I first brought these headphones, I was unimpressed. The Bass was dulled and the sound experience was no where near as good as the SONY headphones I had brought last year.

I was all set to return the headphones and write a review online to let others know. However, I took the headphones with me on holiday and after the plane journey the headphones sounded completely different. I had noticed that during the week the clarity of sound started to sound better and better and in particular one tune sounded so unbelievably good that I had second thoughts about returning them. After the flight, the bass sound came into it's own and right now they sound absolutely crazy. Unlike other headphones the bass doesn't try to interfere with the other frequencies, but almost tries to work hard in complementing the upper frequencies. And it's at these frequencies where you'll utterly impressed. The clarity is Phenomenal, the best I've hard. You really can hear everything, you'll notice little effects and echoes which you would never have heard before. The bass isn't the deepest out there - if you are looking for massive BASS then don't buy these. But the bass is just right and very good.

Why the headphones took a week to come into full effect is beyond me. A friend of mine who has high end audio equipment told me that some of his speakers took a little while to break in. The magnets can be packed quite tight to begin with, but with use loosen up and reach their optimum. Regardless, the sound quality is incredible. to get the best out of these, make sure you have good quality sources. CD's and iTunes mp3's are always excellent, Spotify is good but anything less than 192kbps will always sound rubbish. The headphones come with a nice case and a range of ear buds so it should fit most ears snugly. The red cable (which look great) are also anti-tangle and really doesn't tangle! I asked a friend to tangle the cable as much as she could. I undid them in about 10 seconds.

One last note, I brought the headphones from DAX-TEK for £60. This is half of what you'd pay on Amazon or HMV and they delivered next day. Would I have paid £120 for these, definitely not - but at £60 they are a bargain!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 3:23 PM GMT

In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country

5.0 out of 5 stars A subject of beauty and obscure events, 12 Dec. 2004
If you've never heard Boards Of Canada, then this is maybe where you should start. From first hearing "Kid For Today" and then piking the CD from a mate of mine, i've never looked back on BoC. The album itself is just a breath of fresh air. I don't think it even tries to be anything special. I've heard Boards of Canada from the 80's to the new Geogeddi, and to me, this albums is just them chilling out. But, as always, there's a purpose to their music. It's just that you have to find it. The title track is wondefull in that it's never intruding, but always invoking, of anything you like. The sentence "Come out and live with a religious community in a beautifull place out in the country" reminded me of something. Waco. On further investigation, the other track in the Mini-EP/Single "Amo Bishop Roden", was actually a religious nut who was also A Branch Davidan (the religious sect involved in the waco tragedy). Infact, the events of April 19, 1993 seem to be a long standing theme with BoC in that within the track "1969" (geogeddi) there is a line "Although not a follower of David Koresh, she's a devoted Branch Devidan" - reffering to Amo Bishop Roden. Speculative also, is that the grenades used to enter the Branch Devidan farm were made in 1969. The point is not the subject, but the fact that I've learned about the events of Waco purely from seemingly random titles. Very Cool.

Premiers Symptomes
Premiers Symptomes
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Back To Their Roots, 28 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Premiers Symptomes (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album, I thought it was Air's debut. Clueless as I was, the titles were all French and with just 7 tracks it was easy to be fooled. But I guess if i truely think about it, this Is Air going back to what they feel their music is about. Each song is dinstictly and deceptively gorgeous. Lay in bed before you go to sleep and play this quietly in your ear. No doubt you've heard Les Soilel est Pres De Moi (The sun is close to me) is the standout track, and yes it is! But Les Professionnels offers a little surprise from Moon Safari, a soft remake of "All I Need" which sounds just as good. Most of the Album remains distinctly slow and laid back, and unlike parts of Moon Safari and certainly 10,000Hz Legend, it doesn't feel as 'poppy'. Chillout, and I hate that term, seems outdated and non-original, but Premier Symptomes has this nack of convincing you that it's still alive and it can be this wonderfull experience...