Profile for Discombobulated > Reviews

Omron HJ005e Vital Steps Step Counter
Offered by Activecare Online
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple & seems accurate, 4 Jan 2014
I just wanted a cheap and cheerful counter to check whether I'm doing my 10,000 steps a day. It does just that, clips to my belt & isn't too big. It was a bit of a fiddle setting the sensitivity to begin with, not difficult just a bit trial & error, however on checking it a day later it still seems to be accurate. Although it has a good clip it has fallen off a few times whilst doing housework so I've attached a thin piece of ribbon as recommended and pinned it to my clothing so that it doesn't get lost. It's much better than the cheap one I bought on eBay - that only counted 1 in 5 steps and I'd binned it after a couple of days.
UPDATE
I've been wearing this for a couple of weeks now and have found it very much depends on what you are wearing and whereabouts you position it on your waistband. The more structured the waistband the more accurate it seems to be - leggings don't work for me for instance. This means you need to adjust the sensitivity each morning when you get dressed by walking the 100 steps (maybe more than once) to see how it is reading. Sometimes shifting it further to the side will do the trick, sometimes you need to adjust the device itself. I've revised my rating from four stars to three.

Morphy Richards Jet Steam 42234 Steam Generator Diamond Soleplate - Blue
Morphy Richards Jet Steam 42234 Steam Generator Diamond Soleplate - Blue
Price: 71.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Might be useful if you suffer from RSI but do consider storage, 21 Sep 2013
I love steam, love it for cleaning and ironing and often 'iron' delicate clothes using just steam, not actually touching the garment with the iron. Using a conventional iron, my thumb was constantly pressing the steam shot button on the top and I realised that this worsened my RSI. Being faced with all my holiday laundry I decided to look into whether there was an iron available which could be locked on steam. I didn't manage to find one but then discovered these steam generator irons which I'd never seen before. I chose this one because it's light and although you do need to constantly press the steam button it is underneath where you naturally grip the iron. I found this much more comfortable to use and it performs well
There is a downside though. These units are quite big and for me storage is a problem. Mine has been relegated to a spare bedroom and I fear I may find it too much of a faff to bring downstairs every day. Also we live in a hard water area so there's the distilled water and the filter to consider.
I think I'll be keeping my old iron for small jobs and using this for large loads when it's really worth the effort. Much like my steam cleaner which has gone from a twice weekly outing to about once a month!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all that impressed, 28 July 2013
I ordered this item when it was 54.99 reduced from 99.99. The following morning (after a short period of being out of stock) the same item re-appeared priced at 79.99 (from 99.99), then a few hours later 89.99 (from 99.99). By that evening the 'original price' had changed from 99.99 to 110.99. Draw your own conclusions but it left me feeling that we were being mislead into thinking we had a greater bargain than was actually the case.

I emailed Amazon, the reply was along the lines of 'nothing to do with us'. Whilst I accept that Amazon is only the 'middle man' such disregard seems to make them no better than eBay. Don't get me wrong, I love eBay too but on there I know to be wary, somehow I thought Amazon was better. I then emailed the GrandGadgets to ask what the original price was and for how long but they have chosen to ignore the question.

I paid for express delivery but then Parcelforce misdirected the parcel to the other end of the country. To be fair Grandgadgets were very quick to refund my postage on request and this is what I give them two stars for.

As for the fan, well, it's pretty ugly but all the nice ones are out of stock everywhere else or have doubled in price on Amazon since the heatwave so beggars can't be choosers. It's less powerful than my 20 Argos tower fan and equally noisy. Having not been able to get hold of any other brand of tower fan I have nothing to compare it to so maybe that's normal. It has a timer which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It may be faulty but I suspect there is a knack which they have not revealed in the instructions as sometimes the dial moves freely and sometimes it is stiff but seems to be intentionally so.

All in all I'm disappointed. If I'd paid more for it I'd return it, if it was a smaller item I'd return it and if I thought I had any hope of buying an alternative I'd return it. However it all seems too much trouble so it will have to do.

Womens/Ladies Shapewear Bodyfit Shape Up Shorts, Tummy, Bum & Waist Control, Skin Medium
Offered by Dannii Matthews
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing not as expected, 18 July 2013
Looking at the sizing chart 10 is small, 12, is medium, 14 is medium. Therefore being between 12 and 14 I ordered medium ... as you would.
Pants came with a label clearly marked size 10/12 medium. I think this could have been clearer on the website. By some miracle I can fit into them - just!
I have so far needed to return every item of clothing I've ever bought through the Amazon website as they are always mis-described in some way and refunds have been slow to appear - if at all so I'm going to keep these .. and breathe in.
Oh and the pants came with a note reminding me that feedback is for the service, not the garment. That may suit the seller but actually the feedback thing is for the benefit of other potential customers and I think they are interested in the garment ... well I would be.
On the positive side they do seem to be quite good quality and I have no complaint about the speed of service.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Jan 2013
I had resisted buying a Kindle earlier, put off by the fact that they were previously not lit. At last, this one is exactly what I was looking for as I find I am of an age where I cannot read in poor light during the evening. I had tried using my Xoom tablet to read books and loved it but it was too heavy to take on holiday and no good in bright sunlight. Therefore I have now switched to the Kindle Paperwhite. Although the navigation doesn't feel as slick as on the tablet it's size and weight are ideal and it's easier on the eyes. I also love that I can download books in a matter of seconds, no fumbling for the credit card. I'm a convert!

e-Reader Power Adaptor, Kindle UK (Type G) USB charger (for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard)

1.0 out of 5 stars You probably already have one - check before you buy!, 29 Jan 2013
Title says it all really, the Kindle is great but if this was needed it should have been included in the box. I wish I hadn't bothered and would urge anyone thinking of buying one to get the Kindle first and check whether you already have one which fits. I have found the charger to my Samsung Galaxy phone works perfectly, very convenient as I hate having to take lots of chargers on holiday. This one is very expensive and there is really nothing special about it. As others have said many camera chargers will also do the job. I'm all for multi-tasking, my house is full of chargers which belong with goodness knows what and I've needlessly added another!

Galaxy S II: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Galaxy S II: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Preston Gralla
Price: 12.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you once again Preston Gralla, 7 Aug 2012
I already have the Missing Manual for my Motorola Xoom and it has been a great help in getting my head around Android.

When I bought my new phone last week I asked the assistant in Carphone Warehouse whether it came with a manual, 'no' he replied, 'it's intuitive'. Well up to a point it is and I've found my way around the basic functions through a lot of trial and some error. Unless you know the phone is capable of performing a particular function, you won't look for it and then you're not getting the most out of it. This is why I bought the book, to ensure I'm not missing out on anything and to have something to refer to if I run into difficulties.

It wouldn't appeal to the 'techy' but I don't think it's particularly meant to. For someone like me - non-techy but with a reasonable grasp, it's ideal. Simple instructions in an easy to understand format and lots of useful tips.

Motorola Xoom: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Motorola Xoom: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Preston Gralla
Price: 12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 22 Jan 2012
I guess it depends on who you are and what you are looking for. I am a non techie first time user, I use a desktop PC, have never had a smart phone so need a little help with technology I am not familiar with. This book explains the functions of the Xoom clearly and simply without confusing me with techie information I don't need at this stage. It's a pity there was nothing like this included in the pack, but this beats having to keep asking my son! With the aid of this book I am absolutely loving my Xoom!

Tenko - Complete BBC Boxed Set [DVD]
Tenko - Complete BBC Boxed Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ann Bell
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk
Price: 38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & not faulty, 6 Jan 2012
I was given this set for Christmas (purchased in December 2011) and having read the earlier reviews just thought it would be useful to say that all discs played in the correct sequence and without any problems. Also, in response to an earlier question, yes it does include the reunion.
We thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this series and I think the complete boxed set is very good value for money.

Kenwood Multi Pro Compact FP220 Food Processor, White
Kenwood Multi Pro Compact FP220 Food Processor, White
Offered by royswroxhamltd
Price: 44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my old one, 5 Nov 2011
I have a tiny kitchen and bought this because of it's compact design and the very small footprint on my limited work surface. My old Kenwood was packed up and put in a box in the garage to die.
I was initially pleased but a few months in I have found it does not perform as well as I had hoped.
The capacity, although only as little smaller than the last one is not quite enough for my 4 person meatball recipes - it does not mix it properly.
When making crumbs it always misses bits so I always end up with lumps of biscuit, bread etc. even though I keep taking the top off and stirring it round.
There is a 'hot'smell after a few seconds of processing.
The blender isn't great, when making milkshake there is always a lot of whole fruit left in the bottom.
I feel I should persevere a little longer but in the meantime 'old faithful' has been brought indoors, cleaned up and is on standby!

Page: 1 | 2