Profile for ANITA > Reviews

Content by ANITA

ANITA "AF" (Glasgow, Scotland.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Blood Count
Blood Count
by Robert Goddard

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful., 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Blood Count (Paperback)
I picked Blood Count up in Glasgow airport because it came half price with the Times, and although I've given it three stars (I don't like to give less) this probably ranks as a one star read in my books.
The story is completely unbelieveable made even more so by the completely stupid hero. The hero is a man capable of carrying out a successful liver transplant but is incapable of putting two and two together.
It is obvious from the reviews that the author has quite a following so perhaps this is simply a rare failure. Be that as it may, I will never pick up another of his books because this one is an insult to the reader.The Blackhouse

Magic Trip [DVD]
Magic Trip [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alison Ellwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film., 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Magic Trip [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this in the cinema. I always preffered Ken Casey and the Merry Pranksters to Timothy Leary and his Harvard pals. This film will show you why...they were much more fun.
Although the footage is obviously old the film somehow manages to come across as very current. Very well put together. I would recommend this movie to anyone interested in 'sixties culture'. I don't think handing out free LSD lifted the consciousness of America but the film about it lifted my spirits. Great stuff.Borderline Dreamtime
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 10:21 PM GMT

Acid Diaries: A Psychonauts Guide to the History and Use of LSD
Acid Diaries: A Psychonauts Guide to the History and Use of LSD
by Christopher Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars An unputdownable psychedelic report., 12 Jun. 2011
I've always thought that the author's 'Life of Osho' is the best book I've read about the controversial Indian mystic. It was therefore that I was looking forward to reading this one and I was not disappointed. The report reads like a thriller in places and in others like an absurd comedy. At one point the author is sitting under a tree on Hampstead Heath, staring at his furry hands, thinking that he has been reincarnated as a mole. Brilliantly funny. I loved how he used the LSD to delve into the past and dredge up old traumas and memories and heal wounds from childhood...at times very touching. Once again humour enters when Mr Gray stares at a sepia photo from his childhood, which suddenly comes alive with ducks swimming on a pond.
The psychonaut's psychedelic journey deepens and intensifies and ego meltdown ensues, tying in nicely with the ideas and concepts produced by various spiritual teachers. From my own experience I could really relate to the downright scary aspects the psychonaut passes through. Just like that old song goes,'Sometimes you have to go through hell to get to heaven'. Mr Gray was a brave man, daring to go where so few have gone before and create a map to help others find their way. One can only speculate what might have happened had the author had a loving partner to trip with. May he forever rest in peace. Excellent.Mind Bomb Borderline Dreamtime

Tres Tres Fort
Tres Tres Fort

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD even better DVD., 29 May 2011
This review is from: Tres Tres Fort (Audio CD)
The music stands on its own but watching the movie adds more. The monochord player, Roger, is for me the star in a band of allstars. Beautiful inspirational music that goes straight to the heart. Buy it and support these wonderful people.

The Diagnosis
The Diagnosis
by Alan P. Lightman

3.0 out of 5 stars A miracle., 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Diagnosis (Paperback)
What is mairaculous about this book is that I read it to the end. Mr Lightman is a skilled writer which is about the only saving grace about the somewhat tedious story. Great metaphors and very writerly. The story follows a pathetic character, I suppose intended to convey the harsh realities of corporate exoistence in America. Two whole chapters are devoted to something the protagonist's son has downloaded from the internet which in my opinion bears no relevance to the story. Meanwhile the e.mails that begin and end chapters are deliberately misspelled to add an air of authenticity, along with indecipherable headers---awful. I would never give a book a one star rating, knowing that an author has spent months going over his or her manuscript, but one star is about all this piece of nonsense ranks. That said, I will look out for more of the author's work, because he is a great writer. In this case he just did not have a good story to tell. Pity, as the book opened so well.

Life: Keith Richards
Life: Keith Richards
by Keith Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars It's only rock and roll but....., 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Life: Keith Richards (Hardcover)
I loved 80% of this very entertaining book. I've been a Stones fan all of my life and I love the sound of Keith's guitar. Keith is very candid about himself. He is a bit of a drama queen, taking in to accout his over dramatization about his countless brushes with the law. He's never actually done any real jail time but speaks as if he knows what it is about while he obviously does not. At times he comes across like a spoiled rock and roll brat, because he just does not seem to get the fact that having bags of heroin in his possession is a criminal offence. His knife carrying stories are a bit of a revelation that make him at times appear almost thuggish...but maybe it really is dangerous to be who he is and remember (according to the man himself)a knife is only to distract an assailant while you kick them in the testicles.
The last twenty years of his life only take up less than a fifth of the book, and I took this to mean that the best stuff happened decades ago. Rarely does a book keep me up into the wee wee hours but this one succeeded although I found myself skipping pages towards the end. There are a few technical musical descriptions that meant nothing to me but will have me digging up my old Stones albums to give them a relisten. (already listened to Sticky Fingers for the first time in years and it brought tears of appreciation to my eyes)The antagonism between him and Mick is old hat with a few new snippets thrown in...Mick apparently has a small penis with massive testicles so you can't say that Sir Mick Jagger doesn't have balls. I also found his take on Mick a little one-sided but I do understand why Keith did not dig the knighthood thing....really ridiculous. All in all a good read theat I do recommend to anyone who likes the Stones and would like to understand their music a little more. I'd love to meet Keith. He is very funny and has some great insights into what makes people tick...a real rock and roll human being. The band played on and the stones kept on rolling.

NIGHTFALL (The 1st Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller)
NIGHTFALL (The 1st Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller)
by Stephen Leather

3.0 out of 5 stars Miracles never cease., 3 Jan. 2011
That anyone could rank 'Nightfall' as a 5star read. For me one star would be too much. I give it three because I read it from cover to cover and this signals that it was not the worst book I've ever read.
The storyline defies belief. We have a private eye called Jack Nightingale with family members and strangers commiting suicide all around him and it takes about two hundred pages to alert the idiot that something is seriously amiss. This kind of writing targets really dumb readers. It all works out in the end, though. A huge yawn for a hyped up piece of fiction that would not keep an educated ten year old amused. But it amused me somehow, and I'm embarassed about that.

Green Zone [DVD]
Green Zone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Great action movie., 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Green Zone [DVD] (DVD)
I noticed someone complaining about the wobblycam effects in this film but I really did feel it added a sense of on-the-scene realism to the movie. You are not looking for rocket science or deep philosophy if watching a film such as this...if you are you are on the wrong set. If it is nitty gritty action with the theme that the world is corrupt and violent, then being in the green zone will suit you perfectly. The chase through Bagdad's back streets is excellent. Loved the RPG homing in on the chooper...there goes a piece of somebody's head. Loved it. This is no Apocalypse now but it is a well made action film that is very well shot.Apocalypse Now Redux [DVD] [1979]

AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD] [2001] [NTSC]
AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD] [2001] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Angus Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-stop high voltage rock 'n' roll., 4 Dec. 2010
I bought this DVD for my son's birthday and eneded up watching it myself on a rainy Saturday afternoon. It was a pleasant surprise. From beginning to end this DVD captures the essence of the boys in the band. Angus looks like he is being electrocuted as he delivers riff after riff of sublime electrified rock. What comes across more than anything else for me in this show is what a dedicated band of hard-rocking musicians AC/DC are. The pace is relentless and just when you think its all over and they can't give anymore the lads are back for a blistering rendition of 'Shot Down in Flames' which gets the whole stadium going balastic. Highly recommended.

Live And Become [DVD] [2010]
Live And Become [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Yael Abecassis
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely marvelous film on all levels., 1 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Live And Become [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
If this film does not rate five stars, I cannot imagine what does. The story is heart-rending. The acting is flawless. The filming is perfect. In essence, 'Live and become' is one of those films that stays with you and helps you gain a new and worthwhile perspective. This is cinema at its best and if you have a heart you will be deeply affected by this marvellous film. Do not hesitate. Order it now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4