Profile for tom > Reviews

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by memorycapital

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best connection., 6 Feb 2014
I bought this to connect an HDMI splitter so I could easily switch between a PS3 and Xbox 360. From what I've seen the image seems as clear as it was when the console cable was connected directly into the TV, but every so often the connection goes for a split second and sometimes the screen will flash green or white, or black with white lines down it with an accompanying popping noise from the speakers. I picked it up for 99p with free P&P so I wouldn't complain too much, but it does go to show that even things as simple as leads sometimes shouldn't be skimped out on for the sake of a low price.

Star Wars Movie Heroes Episode 1 Battle Droid MH04
Star Wars Movie Heroes Episode 1 Battle Droid MH04
Offered by Top Toys Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Not acceptable in today's toy market, 25 Feb 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I picked this tan colored Battle Droid up because I wanted an Episode I style figure as I already had one of the maroon colored ones from episodes II and III.

When I got the figured out I found it only had swivel joints in the shoulders and hips unlike the Battle Droids in a previous two-pack release which had shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and two points of articulation in the neck.

I assumed that this was actually a repack of a figure from the original release of Episode I but I found that even those figures featured better articulation. This current line of Star Wars figures seems to be reusing a lot of old figure sculpts that are long past what is acceptable in today's toy market.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2012 1:08 PM BST

USB Data Sync / Transfer Cable for BLACKBERRY CURVE 8520 / 8900 / PEARL FLIP 8220 / PEARL 3G 9105 / STORM 9500 / STORM2 9520 / BOLD 9700 / TORCH 9800 *Supports Charging Function* - DC M400 COMPATIBLE - Hi-TEC ESSENTIALS
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, 31 Jan 2012
This cable works just fine. One word of warning to those that don't know is that while it will happily charge your phone via USB, you do need to download the media programs from Blackberry's website for it to recognize it as a mass storage device so you can put media on to it.

Kick Ass Collector's Edition
Kick Ass Collector's Edition
by Mark Millar

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally entertaining but be careful of the Collector's Edition..., 23 July 2011
I was a huge fan of the movie as it was a fantastic change of pace to the usual superhero movie. I knew a bit about the book and knew that there were some large differences between the movie and the book. The ending, which I won't go into detail about is far different in tone, but I think each ending works for their respective mediums. The book ending would have not worked on film and vice versa.

The story, written by Mark Millar is generally well told. I was a big fan of Millar's work from Marvel's Civil War which was a superb tale and one of the best I've read. While the overall story is fresh, I can't help but feel that Millar, knowing he had free reign on his own story with original characters, just decided to throw profanity in as much as possible. Sometimes it just feels too shoehorned in. It is, in my opinion, forgiven by its interesting premise though.

The art, by John Romita Jr. is fantastic and compliments the high octane plot with extremely violent scenes and more than a little splash of red here and there. There are some inconsistencies with the art however such as costume pieces changing colour and a criminal with a disappearing tattoo.

For the contents of this book - the story and the art - I would give this a 4 star.

The reason I've taken a star off though relates to this particular product; the Collector's Edition. I had to have two replacements sent to me because the quality of the book just wasn't up to scratch. The first book I received apparently had a problem with its printing plates because numerous pages had its images doubled meaning it was blurry and unreadable. The second book had a problem when the pages were being cut because a sizable number of pages had diagonal cuts across the corner of the pages. Fortunately the third book I received is fine and I thank Amazon for their swift service.

All in all, Kick-Ass is a great read though I prefer the film. Unless you really want a hard back copy like I did, I recommend the paperback which is half the price and one version offers extra pages about Hit Girl.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 8:41 AM BST

T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca
T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars "Come with me if you want to live", 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This was the first Terminator figure I picked up because it has all the features of the iconic T-800: The leathers, the shades and the shotgun.

The sculpt is amazing and captures Arnold's likeness perfectly, especially impressive given the relatively small size. The paint looks great and successfully dodges the problem that some of the other Arnold figures have when it comes to getting the eyes right. This isn't a problem here as he's wearing shades with have a nice glossy finish. Thanks to that it looks the most like Arnold out of all the figures in the line.

He's only designed for one pose. You could have him holding the shotgun by the handle in his right hand, but the left hand doesn't look natural without the shotgun in it. Then again, NECA don't make figures like this to be played around with like your average toy and this is very much a collectable.

Final Battle - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca
Final Battle - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars "I need a vacation", 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Yep! Who woulda known that the T-800 had enough time to watch Kindergarten Cop and quote it after finishing off the T-1000? He's certainly looking worse for wear here and the sculpt really brings it out.

This figure is about 90% the same as the Steel Mill Terminator. The differences being a heavily damaged head sculpt, showing off his famous silver skull, a left arm that has been ripped to shreds and a hand designed to hold a damaged grenade launcher unique to this figure. The sculpt on the grenade launcher looks great, with wood splintered off of it. This figure also includes a second head sculpt for those who have another figure going spare. It is another damaged head seen at some point after the minigun scene and before he falls from the T-1000's truck and into the Steel Mill. It's a nice addition but I don't have any figures to stick it on as I like to keep my figures specific to particular moments in the film. It's also a shame because it has a better paint job on his eyes than the one on the damaged head!

I picked this one up before the Steel Mill figure because I really wanted one that showed Arnie at his worst, but if you have the money (or the love for The Terminator that I have) then pick both of them up!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 12:40 PM BST

T-800 Steel Mill Figure - Terminator 2 - Series 3 - Neca
T-800 Steel Mill Figure - Terminator 2 - Series 3 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasta la Vista...Baby!!!, 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Yet again NECA proves to be a master when it comes to the Terminator. The sculpt and the fine details are all there and the paint is great.

It should be noted that this figure is about 90% the same as the Final Battle Terminator with the differences being a head that's more intact, a full left arm, the addition of a pistol (and a right hand designed to hold it) and an undamaged grenade launcher.

The eyes on this figure have Arnie looking slightly to the left which offers some variation on how you can pose the figure. The promotional picture shows a pose that doesn't happen in the film, and instead I have him pointing the gun without the grenade launcher. This figure as far as I can see is designed to emulate the famous "Hasta la Vista...Baby" moment when he pops a round into the T-1000 frozen metal a$$! And he poses in that manner beautifully!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2012 1:37 PM BST

T-800 Man or Machine Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca
T-800 Man or Machine Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice variation for the Arnold figures, 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is one of the few figures of my NECA Terminator collection that really feel worth the money (when bought at the right price) because he looks so different to the others. This is mainly due to the black leather jacket being ditched for a grey t-shirt that shows off Arnie's muscular body and his blood stained cyborg arm!

The sculpt is awesome as ever and this is one of the few figures I have that the paint got the eyes near perfect. The cyborg arm again is well sculpted and looks almost identical to that of the Endoskeleton figure by NECA. It's not quite as bloody as it appears in the promotional photos though, but it's sufficient.

He comes with a gun, though if I recall, the particular scene this portrays didn't involve him holding a gun, but I think it was added just to make him seem more like an action figure. This is even more evident in that that the hand that is designed to hold it does so in an almost carefree way. His hand looks natural without the gun and I think this is really how it's supposed to be displayed. If they were going to include an accessory though, I'd have preferred a nice blood stained knife, which suits the scene more accurately.

Unlike the other figures, neither arms have joints in the elbows and only the cyborg hand has a cut joint wrist. This suits me fine as I don't intend to pose it in any other way from how it was really intended.

This is a superb figure capturing a great moment from the film!!!

Cyberdyne Showdown - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca
Cyberdyne Showdown - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome figure, 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The sculpt of this figure is amazing. The textures, the small details on the clothes and the head are all spot on. The bag rests against his side very well and looks natural. The paint overall is great, but a common problem amongst the Arnie figures is that sometimes the painted eyes can throw the likeness off.

The bag and the grenade launcher are great but they slide off the shoulders a bit too easily (kind of ironic given Arnie's big broad shoulders!!!) but if he's left posed on a shelf like he should be then it's fine.

The black handle on the mini-gun came off when I tried to put it into his hands (his hands are very firm which is great once you've got the gun in place because he won't drop it) but it's easily repairable with a dab of super-glue.

It has been noted also that the barrel can come out the packaged bent. Again, this is not a problem. It's a relatively soft plastic and leaving it in some hot water for just a few moments and then holding it in a straight position until it cools is an easy and effective way of remedying warped parts.

This figure looks truly formidable when on a shelf and the problems I encountered are superficial and easily fixed!

T-1000 Galleria Mall Figure - Terminator 2 - Series 3 - Neca
T-1000 Galleria Mall Figure - Terminator 2 - Series 3 - Neca
Offered by Reservoir Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars A great looking figure but be careful, 27 Jun 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off I'd like to say that the sculpt is superb and the paint, likewise is fantastic. A point of particular praise are his pair of open hands which perfectly capturing Robert Patrick's performance as the odd, almost alien-like Terminator. As mentioned before, the right heel does feature a silver splodge that appears to be liquid metal. It's not noticeable when looked at from the front however it does look unusual. The liquid metal hand is nice, though there can be some slop from the transition of the silver paint to the flesh paint.

If that were the end this would no doubt be a 5 star review, however there is one MAJOR problem.

The joint in the shoulders are made from a brittle plastic, and mine snapped off. Not only is it brittle, but it's also very stubborn to fix. I put the arm with half the joint in hot water and popped the pieces out, but when i came to heat the body, I couldn't budge the peg to take it out. Hot water typically makes plastic malleable (which is a great tip for fixing thin plastic pieces that warp in their packaging) but this plastic just doesn't react! I had to try and fix it with super-glue in an awkward manner and ultimately was unable to fix it. It does stay in, but it's not very stable. And to add insult to injury i accidentally got super glue stuck to the back of the figure!!! I wouldn't say that's a problem with the figure but I wouldn't have put glue anywhere near it had I not needed to fix it. As I said, it stays in okay, but I KNOW it's broken, and I'm in two minds whether to buy another if I see it cheap.

I wish I could give this five stars - the sculpt and paint deserve it, but this is a figure that had only been left up on display and re-posed just a handful of times, so there was no way the joints could have worn over time.

Hopefully this instance doesn't happen to many figures and I hope it doesn't happen to me again (I have eight Terminator figures from NECA!!!) but if this brittle material is the kind of plastic they use for the joints then be careful.

Page: 1 | 2