Profile for Michael Evans > Reviews

Paul [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by Love-Your-Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Paul [DVD] (DVD)
I looked forward to this one but this is no where near the quality of the Edgar Wright Directed films.

If i had managed to avoid comparisons then there are some good fun moments in this film but its tone is all over the place and inconsistent. There werent really any laugh out loud moments for me.

A fine idea for a film, made watchable by Pegg and Frost but not a film Id really bother watching more than once.

A good movie is always one that stands up to repeat viewings but Ive no real desire to view this one again.

Sad but true.

Hopefully others enjoyed it and maybe Ill give it another try in the future.

Be Human
Be Human

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow to grow on you but a fine album for sure, 14 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Be Human (Audio CD)
At first I will freely admit that I really disliked the first single 'English way' off this album and really wasnt struck after my first listen to this album.

Its more experimental with its arrangement and time sig's than I would have hoped for.

But with this and repeat listens it has won me over and I really do enjoy this album. Time will tell if its the best of the 3 so far but its got some special moments such as 'War machine' being a particular favourite.

The rich mix of harsh but gentle moments is one that is still as potent and enjoyable as when i first saw them.

Fingers crossed they can maintain this momentum where other bands I have enjoyed have gone of the boil In my opinion. e.g Linkin parks last effort wasnt much kop (barring the brilliant 'Given Up' song that was rippingly good). And Funeral For a freinds last effort.

Fingers crossed for Fighstar to continue their growth and I really hope others out there enjoy this as much as I do. its really worth the effort.

Enjoy :D

Dark Ages [Limited Edition Digipack]
Dark Ages [Limited Edition Digipack]
Offered by dutchtoni

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulfly, 20 Sept. 2005
Very very interesting album. On the first few listens i was a bit blunted due to the fact that as with their previous effort's, its more back to basics and less "experimental". I quite enjoy soulfly for the very fact they dont sound like all the other bands out there. The blend of hard and smoothe with the fast and tribal has allways been what set them and sepultura apart form the crowd.
In my initial ignorance i had no idea just how good this album is, its truly a grower! This is potentially the best Soulfly record yet! its desolate and heavy while retaining a quality that lets you get deeper and deeper with every listen.
As with Tool - this wont please everyone but hardcore Soulfly'ers will not be dissapointed - just listen carefully and you'll be pleasantly surprised as benath the bludgeoning noise; beats the melodic heart of a juggernaut! :)