Profile for OldCarliol. > Reviews

Content by OldCarliol.

OldCarliol. (Carlisle, Cumbria, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Whisky & Wool
Whisky & Wool
Offered by Nick's CD'S
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Whisky & Wool (Audio CD)
This is such a good album. Josh is an English singer songwriter with an incredible voice and an outstanding songwriting ability. I really hope there is more to come in the future. As they say Josh, the cream always rises to the top, please keep at it.

Heritage And History
Heritage And History
Price: 12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality folk/rock., 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Heritage And History (Audio CD)
This is a fine album by a vastly underrated band. Pitched somewhere between Oysterband and Jez Lowe they are very talented songwriters and musicians. Unfortunately they are no longer together as a unit but they leave behind a great back catalogue of commercial folk/rock music. Highly recommended!

Dreams Of Breathing Underwater [VINYL]
Dreams Of Breathing Underwater [VINYL]
Price: 23.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!, 9 Mar 2014
This a great album for those who like the wilder, more extreme regions of our wonderful English folk scene, as was the equally brilliant 'Angels And Cigarettes'. I love all aspects of folk, both traditional and modern, no point at all in being a musical snob. This fantastic album takes English folk by the teeth and gives it a good scragging just as any Jack Russell worth its' name would do. It is a delight, make no mistake and possibly Elizas' best work in an illustrious career. Try it if you dare!

The Peppermint Conspiracy
The Peppermint Conspiracy
Price: 14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting., 22 Sep 2013
I came across this album entirely by accident, serendipity you might say. On further investigation it was recorded in a garden shed and is so delicate, quaint and undoubtedly eccentric it is a one off. It feels like she is giving an intimate performance for you and you alone. This is modern folk music without the gloss that, for me, often detracts from what is sheer class in its purest state. All I can say is, if you like contemporary folk music, give this a listen. I doubt you will regret it.

Yamaha TSX140 USB Port DAB/FM 30W Desktop Micro Hi-Fi System for iPod/iPhone Dock - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless., 28 April 2013
When I'm about to purchase a new hi-fi, even if it's just for the bedroom, I go daft looking at reviews and such like.
On this occasion my choice was narrowed down to a Roberts, a Bose and this little beauty. As you might now realise I
went for the Yamaha and I do not regret it at all. It looks great, has superb build quality, is incredibly versatile
and most importantly sounds fantastic. It's hard to believe such a neat, compact player can deliver such a full, dynamic
sound. My primary system is Marantz and Tannoy based, delivering lots of power but this little guy somehow seems a lot more satisfying.
If you decide to buy it I'm confident you wont be disappointed.

PACIFISTOR Men's Quartz Wrist Watch with Gold Tone Dial Analogue Display and Brown Leather Strap #PX-003-GD-L
Offered by Infantry_Co
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable., 25 Jan 2013
What a watch this is for the price. Absolute quality.
Oozes style and great value. I love it. You can't go
wrong.

Songs For Searchers
Songs For Searchers
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 10.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy going., 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Songs For Searchers (Audio CD)
This is a very easy going, West Coast America style album with a large chunk of folk loaded into the mix
Another great addition to the massive library of superb Canadian music.

Talking To The Operator
Talking To The Operator
Price: 10.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Fairport, But!, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Talking To The Operator (Audio CD)
Yeah, these guys aren't Fairport but they are a class act. If you like the very early Fairport stuff you will enjoy
this album. I love it. Modern folk at it's very best. More power to your elbows chaps!

The Sadness Of Remembering
The Sadness Of Remembering
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, modern folk., 25 Jan 2013
Heard these guys on a folk radio show and found them interesting to say the least.
Bought the album and was blown away. The vocalist sounds like the guy from Noah and
the Whale, but from then on they go in different directions. What a great and unique
band. Well produced, intelligent, modern folk rock. Highly recommended!

This Is Where We Meet
This Is Where We Meet
Price: 13.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album., 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: This Is Where We Meet (Audio CD)
I saw these guys at 'The Big Session' and found them to be a class, atmospheric, beguiling act. Am I going overboard? I don't think so. I bought the album and it brought great memories flooding back. The first two tracks may be a tad unrepresentative of the bands trademark style but from then on they straddle a line between 'The Mumfords' and 'Midlake'. I would highly recommend these guys for anyone who appreciates the vibrant new English folk scene. Give yourself a treat and buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3