Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for Mr. P. D. Charnley > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. D. Charnley

Mr. P. D. Charnley "Doug Charnley" (Newcastle, England)

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best single speaker airplay solution out there, 9 Mar. 2013
I got this Zeppelin Air after looking for an airplay speaker system for my bedroom and I have to say on the whole I was very impressed.

Good points:

Excellent design, built quality and fit and finish. Straight away you are struck with how solid, classy and well made this is. The design is a bit unique but personally, I love it. Much prefer it to the bland boxes of Bose and the B&W A5/7.
The sound quality really is excellent - especially those tweeters! So clear and detailed without being too in-your-face. You really can feel high end audio design flowing down the line from B&W's more traditional wares to this. The mids are lovely and silky and the bass smooth and reassuring. It doesn't go down super deep as its only a 5" sub and the cabinet is fairly compact but at normal listening volumes its probably all you will need. The amount of bass is never in question, its the frequency response I'm talking about. This is more a limit of physics than anything wrong with the speaker or DSP though. The airplay works very well (once you have it set up)

Bad points:

There is no getting away from the fact that this is a one-box solution. It's probably the best one box solution there is but its still confined to the associated limitation of this design: lack of truly deep bass and more importantly, limit stereo imaging! B&W have tried to mitigate this as much as possible with this wide design and by placing the tweeters at the very edges but I'm sorry to say that unless your sitting less than 3 feet away from it, facing it you might as well be listening in mono. I'm sure this is even worse with the even closer packed A5 and A7. If this doesn't bother you then ignore, but after a while I really missed my 'stereo'.

The dock. It's lovely but now really it's outdated as my iPhone 5 and iPad mini use the new connector. You can remove the dock but you aren't supposed to and it voids the warranty so it just sits there, pointlessly. Obviously you can still use the airplay, but it just slightly annoys me that this dock is just staring me in the face reminding me that this is out of date.

The set-up. It was a faff and took a while to get it working on airplay - needing to update firmware and USB into a mac etc. Once it's working its pretty good but you do get dropout's and your sound playback stops if you so much as lose 1 bar of wifi.

The lack of deep bass. If you listen to something like Bob Marley and turn it up the bass isn't there. The DSP makes sure it doesn't try to play something it simply cant so tones the bass down in this scenario (where it was lush at lower volumes) don't get me wrong its pretty damn impressive for its size it really it but theres no getting away from the fact that if this is the sort of sound you want at higher listening volumes, you need something with a separate sub or simply bigger bass drivers/cabinet. I think for most people listening to normal music at normal to high volumes though there is ample bass here and more than most docks of this type.

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 9 Mar. 2013
I bought these having been impressed by RHA's bang-for-buck in the past and wasn't disappointed. They are nicely presented with a quality fit and finish and they aren't too heavy in your ears. They sound powerful, with deep bass and nice mids, the treble is slightly overly harsh as you start to turn them up. They certainly have an 'exciting' sound that is of a very high quality if you consider the price of them.

The downsides for me are the material cord which although does tangle less easily, has the problem of being VERY good at transmitting cable noise of anything that comes into contact with it to your ears. The second problem I had although this is probably more of a personal one, was that despite providing me with 7 (count them!) ear tip sizes they don't go very big and the largest ones are still slightly too small for my big ears and so its tricky to get a good seal but like I say that probably wont affect most people.

Controls work perfectly with an iPhone 5 and overall I'm rather pleased with them.

Philips DS9800W/10 Fidelio SoundSphere Docking Speakers for iPad/iPhone/iPod with AirPlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Beauty - Updated - Now Fully Working!, 9 Mar. 2013
After um-ing and ah-ing about my Zeppelin Air and the drawbacks I've found with it, I decided to buy a set of these so I could compare and then sell/return the speakers I found the most lacking.

The problem with the air was mainly the soundstage - I know I should have known this but it's not until you have to live with it that it really starts to become obvious. The Zeppelin is smart, powerful and classy but you cant get past the fact that the left and right channels are only 8 inches apart so unless you put your face right up to it, you lose out on stereo which is a bigger loss than I'd anticipated. Also the bass doesn't go down as low as i'd like. It's warm and bassy enough in general but its lacking that silken sub-100hz deep bass due to the sub only being 5" and also only having that slender cabinet to reverberate around in.

These Philips speakers are a different proposition altogether. I took them out of the box and was struck by 2 things; how massive and heavy they are and how beautifully designed and finished they are - great first impression!

I plugged them in and got to sorting out the wifi. This took 5 minutes and was a lot easier than the zeppelin. I only had to press a few buttons use my iPhone and it was sorted. So still good.

Then I started playing music and was blown away. Obviously the big difference was the stereo separation, that stereo effect I was missing was back! Philips provide a huge cable to connect the two speakers so you can put them as far apart as you like really (15ft?) The sound was powerful (possibly more so than the Zeppelin) and the bass was noticeably deeper and more authoritative. The main reason for this I suspect is the much larger, heavier cabinets these speakers have for the bass the resonate around in and the fact that each speaker is equipped with its own 5" driver so essentially there is twice the air displacement over the Zeppelins single 5" sub. The soundSphere effect with the floating tweeter sounded great too, clear and sparkly.

Unfortunately after a couple of minutes the tweeter on the right speaker just stopped working. There was no explanation and nothing I could do to get it to work again, it came on randomly for a few more seconds then died again. It felt like the result of faulty wiring. I've read a few reports of these speakers being a bit unreliable and it unfortunately seems to be the case. A real shame considering how beautifully made and solid they appear. The Zeppelin may not sound or look as good as these but at least it has been rock solid this whole time!

So back to Amazon they go, but not for a refund. I want give these another try as I loved the way they sounded so much. Lets hope the second pair they send me actually work! Amazon customer service has been great so I should hopefully have a second pair within the week. Had these speakers worked perfectly as they should have, I would have awarded 5 stars but this was a big enough problem to knock 2 off. Disappointed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I've now received my fully working replacements and I have to say (even as an ex Zeppelin owner) that these really have blown me away all over again. The soundstage is of course MUCH better than you can get from ANY one box solution and the size and heft of the beautiful wooden cabinets along with a powerful digital amp and 2 5" drivers combined with the uniquely aligned floating tweeters combine to create a sound that is smooth, luxurious and simply stunning to behold. I feel like I want to listen to my entire music collection all over again.

I'm also a big fan of the way this speaker set makes the dock a standalone separate piece so even though (like the Zeppelin air) this is out of date (using the older 20 pin Apple connector instead of the new thunderbolt type) it doesn't matter as you can just leave it on the box and never use it if you like. They look simply stunning and I challenge anyone not to fall in love with the sound they produce.

It feels like they are in a different class from the Zeppelin Air (and I presume the other one-box solutions out there). Where the Zeppelin feels to me like the super-convenient "iPod Dock" formula taken as far as it can go within the constraints of being a simple 'stick it in your kitchen' one-box device, these are gorgeous audiophile speakers first, that happen to connect to iOS devices. More like something you would have in your living room and sit and listen to with your eyes shut!

An easy 5 stars for me. Lets just hope they keep working!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 5:54 PM BST

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the best headphones I've ever heard, 21 Dec. 2012
Background:

Most expensive headphones I've ever bought at £130 but after 3 months of listening to them at work I've decided they are well worth it!
I've had several pairs of decent £60-ish Sennheisers - the best of which was the EH-350 and then most recently had a pair of RHA CA-200's which were very good for the price at only £30. Although these sounded great the build quality is flimsy and they are a bit uncomfortable for long-time wearing sessions.

Build & comfort:

These headphones are incredibly comfortable and very solidly built. They don't feel cheap or plasticy but solid and classy. They aren't particularly trendy or fashionable, more just functional and built for purpose in that solid german sort of way which I quite like. I have been able to listen to them for 2-3 hours with no wear discomfort at all, mainly because they don't rest on your ears but instead entirely enclose them. They clamp your head fairly firmly (good for all you drummers out there) but its comfortable because the clamping force is on your head not your ears and the pads are large and very soft.

Packaging:

These headphones are pretty huge and fairly heavy. They feel reassuring and well build but wouldn't recommend them for walking about or using public transport unless you have a big bag and don't mind looking like a bit a of a prat. There is nothing about the design that has given any thought to making them portable. The cable on these headphones is thick, strong, heavy and quite long - unnecessarily long (and probably annoying) if you're planning on using them on the move with your iPod. On the other hand the type of cable that it is is excellent for use in the office or at home in a recording studio where the extra length is really useful and there is little fear of it breaking as its pretty solid.

Sound:

I'm not an audiophile as such but I do know what sort of sound I like and I have an audiophile work colleague who often talks to me about sound quality and different headphones which can help put things into context. Compared to the other headphones I've had these win on sound quality in every way, hands down. I absolutely love them. They are closed back (and block out quite a lot of sound) which is great for private listening but they sound really open and natural and have a wide spacious sound stage. The main improvement over previous headphones is the clarity and upper end sparkle as well as a generally more natural, even sound across all the frequencies. I find I can listen to music for longer with these and they don't sound fatiguing. I know it's a cliché but I also feel like I can hear a lot more of whats going on in a song. My audiophile friend has a pair of Shure SRH-940's which are incredibly detailed and clear sounding but for me they sound almost too clinical and stark. Also there feels like there isn't enough bass. It's there but its very measured. I was worried that as you go up the scale of headphones and start to get to audiophile level 'phones, this is the sort of sound you get. It's unexciting to my ears even if it is more true and accurate. These DT 770's though don't have that problem, they aren't as accurate and super-revealing as the Shure's but they are still clearer and more detailed then any other headphones I've heard whilst still sounding warm and powerful in the way that I prefer. The bass doesn't sound overdone or artificial like you get on Dr Dre Beats but its authoritative, deep and warm - for me its just the right amount! I'm running these 80 OHM versions through a nuforce dac and the volume is about perfect on half for me. They are sensitive enough to be powered by my iPhone but you need to have the phone on almost full volume for a good listening level but as I've said I wouldn't bother using them in that way anyway.

Summary:

I'm totally thrilled with these headphones and don't regret the £130 I payed for them one bit. Being classically German they are not flashy, but functional. Well built, solid and extremely comfortable with sound that, in my opinion is open, detailed, natural, powerful and extremely enjoyable to listen to. Buy them!!!

Klipsch Image S4i Headphones -with built-in mic (iPhone Compatible)
Klipsch Image S4i Headphones -with built-in mic (iPhone Compatible)
Offered by electronicworld36

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly impressed!, 18 Oct. 2010
After getting an iphone, I started looking for some decent earphones that could also handle calls etc as well as being able to control the phone music playback without having to slide it out of my pocket and activate the screen (which is a right pain in my opinion!)

There are a seemingly endless supply of phones that will fit this bill, but I wanted something with a decent sound after having enjoyed my last pair (Sennheiser CX95's). I have a Jamo i300 ipod dock which absolutely blew me away so I began looking for some earphones by Jamo, but of course they don't do any. Klipsch it turns out, owns Jamo, and therefore are the next best thing.

I got these after reading the great reviews. I hesitated because I think they look flimsy, cheap and plasticky. I hate the faux 'chrome' plastic and knew it would rub off straight away. I'm happy to report that their physical appearance is their only negative.

I've had them for a couple of months now and to begin with I thought they sounded overly harsh and bright - really killing my ears, but this settled down after a week or so and today they sound airy, crisp and wonderfully detailed. The bass is deep and powerful without being too overpowering - I find it just right. When swapping back to my CX95s the Klipsch make them seem muffled, with boomy bass and a less involving sound. Putting the S4i's back in my ears felt like a layer of clingfilm had been removed!

They are incredibly light and the 3.5mm jack housing is extremely thin so it can fit down into the recessed iphone hole (through the obligatory bumper case if you have an iPhone 4). The remote functions well giving you full control (this also works for controlling quicktime and itunes on a mac!). It allows you to pause, play, fast forward, rewind, skip and go back tracks as well as adjust volume, activate voice control and of course answer and hang up the phone.

I absolutely love these headphone and would recommend them to anyone in my position. I know they look a bit tacky (shame on you Klipsch!) but the sound is awesome and entirely makes up for it - so much so they get top marks from me!