Profile for Alan Gilmore > Reviews

Content by Alan Gilmore

Alan Gilmore

Page: 1 | 2
Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker: How to Play No-Limit Hold 'em Multi-Table Tournaments
by Dan Harrington
Edition: Perfect Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a bad book, but I found it a disappointment, 10 Jun 2014
I was eagerly awaiting this one. Like so many, I owe a lot to the authors for the original trilogy, which were a great starting point for anyone starting to try and think seriously about the game. It has been clear for years that they were "of their time", and that the game, especially on-line, has moved on to the point where anyone playing "Harrington Poker" was unlikely to survive. I hoped that his considerable analytical powers would give new insights to the modern game.

The first disappointment was the amount of overlap with the original books. It does not pick up where the others left off, but has considerable material aimed at near beginners, so I found myself quickly skimming the first half of the book, and concluding that there was nothing useful to me there (I would call myself a competent, fairly serious, recreational player. I have read pretty much every serious poker book, and am good enough to get the occasional big result - live and on-line - but will never be good enough to be a pro).

After the beginner recap, there is a short introduction to bet-sizing, and a fairly substantial section on how to play each street in turn, pre-flop through to river. This covers ground that the original volume 1 covered, but has (I think) been completely rewritten, with new examples, and taking account of a much more aggressive playing population. I felt this was worthwhile reading. The examples are set out and discussed with similar clarity and thoroughness to the original books, and are thought-provoking. Personally, I did not agree with some of the advice. Partly due to Dan's modest results in the last seven years (I have a bigger Hendon Mob total for that period than him, and I consider myself just a hobbyist!), I did not have confidence that I was listening to a true authority on today's game.

There is a section called "The All-in move", which as you might expect covers similar ground to the original Volume II (The Endgame), revisiting M calculations etc.

The last section comes closest to my main hope in buying the book. It is called "Playing Styles", and it attempts to describe the way the modern game has changed. This was my main disappointment. He talks as if the modern aggro game is just a trend which may cycle back in a few years, and does not really take on the job of explaining it. I expected a treatment of GTO play, of how different variations from it are exploitable, and when to deviate from it for exploitative reasons. Dan has either not grasped some of the mathematical thinking of the new generation, or chooses to keep away from it to keep things simple for his readers.

I did not expect him to go deeply into maths here, but I expected him to explain some of the concepts, and to offer practical advice based on thinking it through clearly. What advice there was about combatting the LAGs was either fairly obvious, or (IMHO) plain dodgy. One example he gives concerns a spot where at an aggro table, there is an UTG raise which is 3-bet and then 4-bet. He advocates using your tight image to consider taking it down with a 5-bet (with T9s). It might work, but against three players who have declared strength, that strikes me as unnecessarily high variance, but perhaps that is why I will never be a good player!

When compared to the type of analysis you get from people like Andrew Seidman or Matthew Janda, this just felt very lightweight.

In summary, I would recommend this to people who have only started to get serious about the game - the sort of people who were ready for Volumes I and II the first time around. For anyone who feels they are past needing the advice of the original books, they will probably feel that they are past this one too.

STYLE YOUR MOBILE VARIOUS DESIGN SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 SII i9100 SILICONE SKIN PROTECTION CASE COVER + FREE STYLUS (DARK CIRCLE JELLY FISH SILICONE)
Offered by Style Your Mobile Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a snug enough fit, 22 April 2014
Delivered quickly and cheap. It looks well but unfortunately is not quite a perfect fit. I bought it for my daughter. She likes it well enough that she wants to keep it, but the corners of the phone pop out occasionally.

Thor [DVD]
Thor [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth

1.0 out of 5 stars Mystified by the positive reviews, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thor [DVD] (DVD)
The only positive thing that I could say is that it is visually fabulous. It must have wasted a fortune.

The plot is laughable, with so many unconvincing turns of events that I hardly know where to start. One example is Thor (missing his powers and therefore reduced to cowboy-fight haymakers and kicks), brawling his way into a high tech secured area, past dozens of government agents without any of them using their weapons, and then being released by the agents when it is explained that he is just a scientist who was upset at his research being interfered with. The scientists' confiscated research materials have been left conveniently on a table outside, so Thor can trouser them as he leaves.

The script is painful, especially the dialogue between Thor and the Natalie Portman character. He alternates between phrases that sound like something from an Australian version of Ivanhoe and teen cliches. "It's a good look!", says Natalie when Thor magically grows a superhero costume.

It has plenty of talented actors. Portman, Hopkins and Skarsgard make the most of the lines they are stuck with, although Hemsworth is a bit wooden. I noticed that the excellent Idris Elba is in there too - do these people not read screenplays before they sign up?

The original comic books were great, and with this effects team, cast and director, could be the basis for a good movie, but I doubt if the writer has even read them.

The story leaves plenty of room for sequels - please don't bother! Great special effects cannot carry a movie if the characters and story are nonsense.

Breakfast Of Champions (Vintage Classics)
Breakfast Of Champions (Vintage Classics)
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute classic, 11 Sep 2013
Read it many years ago and had to get a copy. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I find it hilarious.

DP1583 Heavy Duty Geared Anvil Tree Pruner - Darlac Expert Tree Pruning Range
DP1583 Heavy Duty Geared Anvil Tree Pruner - Darlac Expert Tree Pruning Range
Offered by Gardening Naturally

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 11 Sep 2013
Used for a few hours so far with no problems, and does the job well. Quite hard work to use for long, depending on how far extended the pole is, because it is fiddly to manoeuvre. I bought the 3m pole, and I think longer than that would be very tricky, so I am happy with the decision not to go for the 5m one. The clip holding the mechanism on the end of the pole has popped out a couple of times as it was dragged through branches, but I don't think that is a big problem.

Hematite Tumble Stones (25-30mm) Large 5 Pack
Hematite Tumble Stones (25-30mm) Large 5 Pack
Offered by Crystal Geode

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised, 13 May 2013
Came quickly, well packaged with no problems. it is a really bad idea to insist on a minimum number of words for these reviews. Last one I do.

Rage
Rage
by Simon Conway

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it - not an easy read but well worth it, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this very unusual read.

I can sympathise with some of the reviewers who found the chaos and complexity of the book too much for them, but I felt it reflected the chaos of the world in which it is set, and enough fell into place in the closing chapters to make it totally gripping.

It is a very imaginative book, with a multitude of colourful characters, and the central character is an amazing creation. The mayhem of Iraq in those days comes across vividly, and it could not have been imagined by someone who did not have first hand experience of war zones.

The plot is complex, and unfolds slowly, so it is only late in the book that we get any certainty about the allegiances and motivations of the characters. If I had to find fault, I would say that I would have been gripped earlier if I had been given more clues about where the book was heading.

I strongly recommend it though, and I certainly plan to try his other books.

Drawing Optical Illusions
Drawing Optical Illusions
by Gianni A. Sarcone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 12 Mar 2012
I bought this for my daughter (aged 15) who is very keen on art, and who has the patience to work through the examples carefully. She has been very enthusiastic about it, and it has been very good value.

Paint-doku (Puzzles)
Paint-doku (Puzzles)
by Conceptis Puzzles
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and good value, 22 Sep 2011
Excellent book. Despite the misleading title, this is a book of good quality Nonogram (aka Hanjie) puzzles. There is no painting etc involved - the idea is to complete a grid which makes a picture, based on number clues for each row and column. Anyone who likes Sudoku or similar will enjoy them.

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 9 Jun 2011
I always get much better prices on Amazon than the "criminal" renewal prices asked for by anti-virus vendors online. This 4-user new purchase cost less than half what I was asked for for a 2-user renewal.

Page: 1 | 2