Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Edinburgh, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Panasonic HX-A500E-K 4K Wearable Camcorder - Black
Panasonic HX-A500E-K 4K Wearable Camcorder - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Head mounted action cam, 24 Jun 2014
This is not intended to be an exhaustive review, just my first impressions. In use I found the headset to be comfortable in use and remarkably stable. The Panasonic ads show a short haired man wearing it. If your hair is collar length or longer it's probably better to firstly slip the springy band over your neck and then raise it so it's over your ears, with your hair hanging over the band. Pulling it down over the top of your head isn't so good for long hair because it feels awkward and looks silly with tufts of hair sticking out. Also longer hair conceals the band and camera support if you slide it up from around your neck.

The first video I did was when I skated around town on my inline skates. I had the camera aimed too low. The second one was ice skating in the almost deserted Murrayfield Ice Rink. This time I took care to check the picture on the screen was straight and level. Once adjusted it does stay put. I haven't used the armband, preferring to house the main unit in the breast pocket of the top I wear for skating.

In the earlier attempt I'd used the default settings but this time I made sure it was set to Wide mode. I found the controls and interface easy to use. I also found it easy to use in WiFi mode on my Samsung Galaxy tablet (first version) and on my iPod Touch which is even older. Test playback on these devices was very useful, as well as the ability to control everything remotely.

I've ordered the multi support and will get others e.g. tripod support when they're available. I expect it'll be a while before I try 4K video as none of my screens do more than 1920 x 1080 pixels. I'm looking forward to trying time lapse and super slow motion.

I've uploaded a 2 minute 1080p video to YouTube.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:56 AM BST

Stranded (The Prometheus Project Book 3)
Stranded (The Prometheus Project Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Written for Teenagers but OK for Adults, 19 Feb 2014
Having read the first two parts and enjoyed them I then finished by reading Book 3. It's a bit longer and reflects the fact that the author's son and daughter are older. It was originally written for them, and their namesakes are the main characters in this SciFi adventure. There's alien technology beyond human understanding in the story, but human science is accurately portrayed and described. Like other books by the same author, I found it to be an easy-to-read page turner.

Vapextech Super Smart nimh Charger 8 cell
Vapextech Super Smart nimh Charger 8 cell

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges Single or Odd Numbers of batteries, 11 Feb 2014
Many of today's gadgets use batteries in 3s. This is nuisance with most chargers which only work with even numbers of AA or AAA cells. Some time ago I asked Maplin if they had a charger that did odd numbers of cells. Their reply showed one rather expensiver charger. This one is reasonably priced and is microprocessor controlled with the LCD display showing the status of each cell.

Mind's Eye
Mind's Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SciFi Thriller, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mind's Eye (Kindle Edition)
A real page turner. Right up-to-date with today's technology. A man wakes up in a rubbish skip with no memory - but he's aware of a sort of background noise in his head, the thoughts of other people nearby. He can't remember who he is but because of his ESP he knows that people want to kill him. He escapes then accidentally finds out he can surf the internet with his mind.

Beco 611.29 1 USB Fan with Programming through Keyboard with 7 Red LEDs / 8 Fonts
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior USB message fan, 29 Jan 2014
Length:: 0:33 Mins

I previously had message fans that took 3 AA batteries but they both went faulty. This is a considerable improvement. Straight out of the packaging it displayed its default messages when plugged into a USB charger. When I connected it to my Windows 7 PC using the separate data cable it was detected ok. The mini CD contained the software. Not seeing a setup file I installed it by creating a folder in c:\program files (x86) called FAN and copied and pasted everything into there. I right-clicked the LED Fan EditorV1.120120512.exe file and clicked on Send to Desktop to create a shortcut. (This is easier than having to have the mini CD in the drive all the time and double-clicking on the .exe file.)

The video shows messages I typed in using the easy-to-use software. I used another LED device to give a little backlight to the scene. You can save your text in .LED files. You can also preview the resultant display(s) on your computer before downloading to the fan. The printed instruction leaflet is in good English (German copy also).

My Name is Mark Nine
My Name is Mark Nine

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Short SciFi, 2 Jan 2014
I got two Kindle SciFi stories at once, both with remarkably similar openings where the character found himself in crowded city streets in a weird dreamlike state of mind. I soon abandoned Ernest Dempsey's The Dream Rider because its bad grammar and spelling caused it to lose credibility for me. I switched to My Name is Mark Nine and was immediately captivated by it. No questionable English got in the way to spoil the narrative flow. Sadly it was only two short chapters long - but it was eloquent and said all it had to say. A classic. I'll certainly look for more by this author.

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Transfer to USB, 1 Jan 2014
Windows 7 kept telling me this could go faster and didn't detect it was connected to an existing USB3 port. After testing its speed was OK I disabled the Windows 7 message.

Healthcare World Mini Wireless Tens Machine
Healthcare World Mini Wireless Tens Machine
Offered by Healthcare World Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Sciatica when walking, 1 Jan 2014
I found this quite effective when attached to my left buttock to relieve sciatica pain in my left leg. It's convenient without trailing wires and lasts a long time on a single coin cell (CR2025 not CR2032). The only problem is operating its 3 buttons when you can't see it on your butt.

77mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 to ND400 DSLR
77mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 to ND400 DSLR

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to rotate, 1 Jan 2014
This large filter was a bargain price. I bought it to try out long exposures in daylight / sunlight. It might be useful if it doesn't strip the skin off my fingertips when I'm trying to rotate it.

The Dream Rider (The Dream Rider Series Book 1)
The Dream Rider (The Dream Rider Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Grammar = Loss of Credibility, 1 Jan 2014
In the first few lines: "...pushing me in the backwards" - a new noun? Next: "...clearing a straight path between my pursuers and I" - should be "between my pursuers and me." A few lines later: "...pumping my leg as hard as I could" - the character isn't a monopede, nor has he been shot in the leg yet. Next: "another bullet found it's [sic] way" - elementary schoolboy apostrophe mistake. All these grammatical blunders in the first page or two cause this literary effort to lose all credibility for me. It's small wonder that my wife and I have reverted to paper books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8