Profile for Dave Henniker > Reviews

Content by Dave Henniker

Dave Henniker (Edinburgh, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Healthcare World Mini Wireless Tens Machine
Healthcare World Mini Wireless Tens Machine
Offered by Healthcare World Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Sciatica when walking, 1 Jan. 2014
I found this quite effective when attached to my left buttock to relieve sciatica pain in my left leg. It's convenient without trailing wires and lasts a long time on a single coin cell (CR2025 not CR2032). The only problem is operating its 3 buttons when you can't see it on your butt.

77mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 to ND400 DSLR
77mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 to ND400 DSLR

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to rotate, 1 Jan. 2014
This large filter was a bargain price. I bought it to try out long exposures in daylight / sunlight. It might be useful if it doesn't strip the skin off my fingertips when I'm trying to rotate it.

The Dream Rider (A Science Fiction Dystopian Series) (The Dream Rider Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Grammar = Loss of Credibility, 1 Jan. 2014
In the first few lines: "...pushing me in the backwards" - a new noun? Next: "...clearing a straight path between my pursuers and I" - should be "between my pursuers and me." A few lines later: "...pumping my leg as hard as I could" - the character isn't a monopede, nor has he been shot in the leg yet. Next: "another bullet found it's [sic] way" - elementary schoolboy apostrophe mistake. All these grammatical blunders in the first page or two cause this literary effort to lose all credibility for me. It's small wonder that my wife and I have reverted to paper books.

Laserpod - 4897012420072 - Decoration Atmospheric Lamp - Original Packaging Galaxy LED -  (German Import)
Laserpod - 4897012420072 - Decoration Atmospheric Lamp - Original Packaging Galaxy LED - (German Import)

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by Jerky Motor, 26 Dec. 2013
I've had two of these, both spoiled by the soothing, psychedelic projected image suddenly rotating in a slight jerk as the tiny motor or gears overcome some resistance. If you're in bed watching the ceiling then you inevitably wait ₣or it to do it again. I relocated the latest one to the livingroom and fitted its translucent dome. I reckon there's a dry solder joint in it because it flickers and dims intermittently. I've tried 3 different power supplies. When these gadgets work they're very good.

Canon 10 x 30 Image Stabilising Binoculars with Neck Strap & Soft Case
Canon 10 x 30 Image Stabilising Binoculars with Neck Strap & Soft Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Pin Sharp, Rock Steady, 30 Oct. 2013
We were able to see the moon's craters very clearly, and to see walkers on the Pentland Hills miles away. Able to read the sign at Edinburgh Airport just over 6 miles distant.

Out of This World
Out of This World

4.0 out of 5 stars Portals to Alice in Wonderland Adventures, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Out of This World (Kindle Edition)
Although it's aimed at younger folks I greatly enjoyed this book. Well written, easy to follow. Nice interaction between the young girl and her older brother. Science fiction reminiscent of Alice. Get it for your kids or yourself.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware Good, Kindle Books Full of Typos, 11 Oct. 2013
I thought it was just me but have a look at the Kindle forum and do a search for typos. These are bad even in some more expensive books. Puts me right off. Amazon, do something about it FFS!

AMPED (The WIRED Sequel)
AMPED (The WIRED Sequel)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book slightly spoiled by errors, 10 Oct. 2013
In the NY Times best sellers and a great sequel to Wired. Nevertheless the Kindle edition was somewhat spoiled by errors. I felt sufficiently annoyed by this to try to send a message to the author's Facebook page, though I didn't want to give my credit card details for a payment of 63 pence for the privelege of having my message go directly to his inbox. I settled for his 'other folder' and here's what I said:

"Almost finished Amped and greatly enjoying it - but somewhat spoiled by schoolboy errors in this Kindle edition. Here's some of the ones which cause me to halt in mid-sentence: noble instead of Nobel, discretely instead of discreetly, shear instead of sheer, contingences insted of contingencies.

I can't believe that you are responsible for these mistakes. I'm hoping that they're computer generated blunders or maybe the efforts of some woefully inept proof reader.

I'm sure you know that instant loss of credibility results from misspellings etc. This wasn't a cheap book. Not happy."

I would have unhesitatingly given this 5 stars. Maybe I should just give up on KIndle books. This was the best, most enjoyable read since 22/11/63 by Stephen KIng which I read in paperback. I can't recall errors in paperbacks and hardbacks. It seems to be a Kindle thing.

WIRED
WIRED

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Page Turner, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: WIRED (Kindle Edition)
A thriller with SciFi overtones. The lead female character initially struck me as a bit like Lara Croft with a scientific mind and a high IQ. There were hardly any typos (as you'd expect for a paid-for Kindle book) and not much spoilt the credibility, only a reference to square centimetres of space instead of cubic centimetres. Being the pedant that I am, I nearly deducted a star for that. Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this book and are currently reading its sequel Amped, also highly recommended.

Gazboat 8gb slimline high definition Key Chain Spy Camera with torch function ***New Design for 2012***
Offered by Gazboat

4.0 out of 5 stars Key Fob Spy Cam, 9 Oct. 2013
Still photos are not at all bad, coming in at 1600 x 1200 pixels. They're crisp and quite sharp even in dull indoor light as long as the camera is held steady. The angle of view is quite narrow meaning you've got to point the lens fairly accurately. Subjectively, it feels rather like the equivalent of 70 mm on a 35mm film camera (remember those?). There are some sharpening artefacts visible on the edges of contrasty details but picture quality is surprisingly good.

Video quality is fine as long as the camera isn't moving. Do not expect to be able to obtain good results if you're walking. I tried it when ice skating and it wasn't too bad - but the image will leap about if you're walking normally. I think that Rolling Shutter is responsible for this effect, and that all similar cameras will exhibit this. Wikipedia explains what Rolling Shutter is better than I can. Expect to see rectangular objects such as buildings taking on a skewed parallelogram shape if you're moving the camera sideways. Objects crossing the field of vision aren't so bad if the camera is held steady.

The unit I received is a later model with what looks like a solar panel on one side. Once I set the date and time it kept the correct time after I powered it off. Stills are date stamped. The controls are intuitive for its 3 functions, torch (quite bright), stills and video. Sound quality for video is better than some compact cameras whose zooming / focus operations introduce noise. It also functions as a web cam. The torch can be used whilst filming or snapping. Not a bad little gadget at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10