Profile for N. Hutchinson > Reviews

Content by N. Hutchinson

N. Hutchinson "nixx" (Lancashire, UK)

Paul Carter Is A Dead Man (The Dead Man Trilogy Book 1)
Paul Carter Is A Dead Man (The Dead Man Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer, 23 Jan. 2014
This is a great, great read. Knowing it's not very long, I had to read it in small chunks so it lasted longer, a bit like I eat a bar of Bourneville - one chunk per day. Sad, I know.

You need to know it's very different to the author's other stuff, but that takes nothing away from it; it shows his versatility, and the fact that he's not a one-trick pony. If you weren't a fan of the other books because they're a bit sweary, you'll be ok with this one.

The characters are well-drawn and interesting, and I'm glad to see this is the first of a trilogy as I really want to get to know them better. Paul, despite being a murderer, is likeable other than his poor taste in films (61% in on the Kindle).

Anyhoo, I'm not eloquent or articulate, so I'll leave it there. Buy it, read it; you'll enjoy it.

The Banjo String Snapped But The Band Played On
The Banjo String Snapped But The Band Played On

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing...., 5 July 2013
.... short of brilliant. I loved this. My favourite of the shorts and a real look inside my hero Tom's weird and wonderful mind.

Tomorrow's Chip Paper
Tomorrow's Chip Paper
by Ryan Bracha

5.0 out of 5 stars What are you waiting for?, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Tomorrow's Chip Paper (Paperback)
If you haven't read the author's previous book, and this one, what the heck is wrong with you? Get them bought, book a couple of days off, turn your phone off and get stuck in.

London Calling (Inspector Carlyle 1)
London Calling (Inspector Carlyle 1)
by James Craig

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the poor reviews...., 25 Mar. 2013
...if you don't mind swearing and sex. I certainly don't, didn't think it was at all gratuitious or titillating, and thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Some reveiwers seem to be advocating warnings on the front of books, or an age certification-type rating, similar to those we use for films because their sensibilities have been offended. I think that would be a big shame.

I don't tend to read reveiws until after I've read a book because of the potential for spoilers, and the fact taht I prefer to make up my own mind. I do like to read reviews afterwards, though. I was amazed at the 1, 2 and 3 tar reviews, but on reading tem, realised that they were mostly so low becaue people are offended by the sex scenes.

Tha Dunt Come Frumt Tarn Tha Gets Nowt Frumt Tarn (The Short Shorts Book 1)
Tha Dunt Come Frumt Tarn Tha Gets Nowt Frumt Tarn (The Short Shorts Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 15 Mar. 2013
I loved this - brilliant, detailed backstories to really colourful characters, and detailed ramblings about nothing (Meadowhell). Danny reminds me of Tom from Being Human (BBC3). Fintan reminds me of an ex. I love where he compares himself to a cat.

I used to go out (on the pull out, not romantically) with a girl from Barnsley. Sounds similar to the one in the book.

Looking forward to the next one.

Strangers Are Just Friends You Haven't Killed Yet
Strangers Are Just Friends You Haven't Killed Yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 11 Mar. 2013
I got this as a cheapie (or even freebie) on my kindle and started reading it at the gym just because I clicked on it first. Glad I did. Great story, really different. Well-constructed, strangely likeable characters. Wouldn't mind a night out with that Tom.

Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen, Book, 1)
Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen, Book, 1)
by Ed James

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 15 Dec. 2012
I downloaded this after the author folllowed me on Twitter (clever!). I'm a big detective fan, a huge Rebus fan, and love Edinburgh, so this was a perfect book for me. Just stated the second and my nose is stuck in it already.

I, Michael Bennett: (Michael Bennett 5)
I, Michael Bennett: (Michael Bennett 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete tosh, 18 July 2012
I only had to read this book because my Kindle broke on holiday and I was left to pick through cast-offs people were leaving in the hotel.

Full of mush and overly-sentimental, the whole scenario of a cop with 10 kids working the hours he does, and taking on the committments he does, is completely far-fetched. Like another reviewer, I thought someone had ripped a few chapters out at the end.

Really, don't bother.

William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story
William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story
by Matt Rudd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Sept. 2009
Absolutely hilarious; I cried laughing more than once, and annoyed my husband reading snippets out to him. I read it over few hours, as it was unputdownable. MUST read. Looking forward to the sequel.