Profile for Jacb201 > Reviews

The Bomb: A Life
The Bomb: A Life
by Gerard DeGroot

4.0 out of 5 stars Atom Bomb History, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Bomb: A Life (Paperback)
For the more academic types, many of the subjects encompassed by this very readable story of the history of atom bomb development are not given enough detail to be of any worth. However, that said, I have found it a much easier read than the detailed histories of the subject by Richard Rhodes. What de Groot manages to accomplish very well is sufficient detail to keep the average reader interested and to provide a comprehensive overview to what I have found to be a massive subject with many authors, some good, some awful. I read it first as a library book whilst doing research for a lecture and since I have bought a paperback copy of it to read again. It is very well written and will provide other avenues of research for the enthusiast as they discover in general terms the story of the atom bomb. I liked it and would recommend it as a very good starting point for investigation into the subject, for the average reader as well as someone engaging on an academic course of study. Well worth the money I paid to buy it.