Profile for jqueen > Reviews

Content by jqueen

jqueen (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good, 17 May 2015
This book was even better than the first one. Very well written with very distinct and vivid characters, I enjoyed every word of it. Can't' wait to read the next one.

Homescapes - Ultrasoft Super Microfibre - 10.5 Tog - King Size - The Best Synthetic Duvets designed for And Used By The Best 5 and 7 Star Hotels From Around The World - Anti Allergy - Anti Dustmite - Box Baffel Construction - Washable at Home
Offered by HOMESCAPES

4.0 out of 5 stars feels like feather not microfibre, 8 Dec. 2014
Lovely soft duvet, feels like feather not microfibre. A little thin in places and needs a blanket on top in winter but generally I'm very pleased with this.

Trespass Kids' Skydive Kids Jacket TP50 - Petal Pink, Size 11/12
Trespass Kids' Skydive Kids Jacket TP50 - Petal Pink, Size 11/12

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with this, 8 Dec. 2014
Delighted with this, great quality, great price, arrived very quickly. The detachable fleece jacket inside is warm, the coat is waterproof and the colour is lovely for my 11 year old.

The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 9 Sept. 2014
Loved it. No-nonsense war and gore with varied, likeable characters. Already downloaded Book Two....

Samsung SU3351 Twin Propel Light Vacuum Cleaner 1800 Watts
Samsung SU3351 Twin Propel Light Vacuum Cleaner 1800 Watts

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, makes vacuuming even more of a chore, 16 Sept. 2013
I thought I would save money and buy a cheap vacuum cleaner. I'd bought a cheap one years ago and although it didn't have any fancy tricks it did the job fine and lasted for years. I thought I'd get the same luck this time with the Samsung but I didn't. This is a terrible product. For the first few weeks it seemed to be OK, but gradually it lost suction power and I however many times I cleaned out the various pipes, holes and filters (yes, I followed all the documented steps in the manual religiously) it never got the original suction back. The front was very bulky and did not clean the edges well, in fact it didn't clean anything well, I had to go over the same spot multiple times with it and it was the most noisy thing I have ever known. Plus it was permanently getting blocked and vacuuming took double the time because of all the time spent unblocking it. I started to utterly dread vacuuming. Finally I couldn't stand it any more and dumped it on Curry's in part exchange for a Dyson ball, which is what I should have bought in the first place and saved myself a wasted £50.

I love my Dyson. Invest in a Dyson instead, they're worth every extra penny.

Russell Hobbs 15081 Steamglide Iron - 2400 W - White and Blue
Russell Hobbs 15081 Steamglide Iron - 2400 W - White and Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Burns clothes suddenly and leaks, 16 Sept. 2013
I'm glad I didn't review this purchase when I bought it a year ago, because at first it seemed fine but having used it for a year I can now give a proper review of this iron: this is the worst iron I have ever bought. Don't buy it. It leaks water out of the handle (yes, strange and worrying I know) if you fill it up more than half with water and spits great puddles onto the board when you move it from ironing position to upright. Also it suddenly heats up randomly while you are ironing, so that the iron suddenly starts sticking to/burning the clothes and you get black on the plate - and on your white shirts! The steam and spray buttons start sticking if you are ironing for longer than about 30 minutes, making the ironing experience even more frustrating. Plus the lead seems quite short. And it's so lightweight that it topples over very easily.

I hate it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 7:15 AM GMT

Broken Heart on Hold: Surviving Seperation
Broken Heart on Hold: Surviving Seperation
by Linda Rooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book but...., 16 Sept. 2013
This is a very good book.... but there are a few "buts" to qualify that. First, if you're not religious you will really struggle to finish reading this book, it continuously preaches total reliance on God for recovery. Second, it is based on the premise that there is a possibility of reconciliation.

Please don't let that put you off reading it.

Whatever your situation, in the first period of separation this book will help you to find release from the confused, bottled up feelings, the numbness, to let the tears flow. It is pure emotion, not the dry matter-of-fact dissection of Relate and similar "how to survive divorce" books. There are some wonderful insights in the book too, the type that make you nod to yourself emphatically and say "yes, that's exactly it!" out loud.

However the author's situation is very specific of course, because (and all credit to her for her bravery and generosity in publishing it) the book is inspired by her own experience - 2 people who have drifted apart and who manage to find each other again. Therefore it does not come near to addressing the deep-seated hurt and anger of those whose partners have betrayed their trust. To be fair to the author, she tries to widen the scope by providing regular anecdotes from other problem relationships, but after a while they come across as rather too simplified and trite, particularly the ones about reconciliation. So although I was hooked by the first half of the book, by the second half the author was losing me, especially when it became clear that she had managed reconciliation and therefore obtained that "happy ever after" that so many of us know is simply no longer possible with our separated partners.

So if you are not particularly religious be prepared to pick out the parts of this book that mean something to you and try not to be put off by the preaching of laying yourself sacrificially down at God's Feet and waiting for Him to fix you. There is a great deal of value in this book, it's a gift from the author's heart. It will help you acknowledge and recognise many of the emotions that a separation causes, and will provide insights that help you move forward. In fact it helped me realise that I couldn't depend on anyone else (not my ex-partner, not my family and friends, not a new partner, not even God) to fix my broken heart and spirit, it has to come from inside, you need to dig to find your own core strength and self respect and build from there, that is the key to surviving separation.

It's a long hard road. This book is a very welcome, much appreciated helping hand along the way. Thank you Linda.

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 Sept. 2013
These are really good value, would recommend them. I saw one review that said one bulb went after only 2 days but I haven't had any similar problems, I ordered 6 back in March and they are all still going. I'm about to order some more - I'm gradually replacing all the spots in my house with these as they blow.

Elli and Raff Snuggle Blanket
Elli and Raff Snuggle Blanket
Offered by DWD UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 16 Sept. 2013
This is such a beautiful soft blanket, any new mum would be delighted with this I'm sure. It's good quality and very warm.

Giant Bumper Foam Bananas 200g Bag
Giant Bumper Foam Bananas 200g Bag
Offered by Dolci Di Lechlade

1.0 out of 5 stars Small pack, 16 Sept. 2013
When the bag arrived I was disappointed because it was only a small bag with much fewer bananas than I expected. I realise that it was the advertised weight - 200g - but this isn't worth the effort of ordering. There are much better options on Amazon if you like these sweets.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3