Profile for A. Collins > Reviews

Content by A. Collins

A. Collins "Alaina" (NYC,NY)

Robin Of Sherwood: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1984]
Robin Of Sherwood: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Peter Llewellyn Williams
Offered by Mega-Deals
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it ever coming to NTSC?!? I've loved it for years., 16 Jan 2005
The show captivated me from the first time I saw it and sparked a love of Robin Hood stories that I still have. The show had an energy about it that I simply loved and the characters were well treated. Not only were the traditional Robin Hood characters well treated, but new characters were also introduced to the well-known tale. Most Robin Hood movies are cut and dry. Formulaic. You start with an honorable outlaw named Robin (who's an outlaw for purely honorable reasons), you throw in a chick named Marion, then slap in some characters named Little John, Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck and Much the Miller for good measure. Then have them tick off and embarrass the Sheriff of Nottingham or sometimes even Prince John. Role credits. "Robin of Sherwood" however, presented many new and interesting possibilities for all of the characters. It even had the audacity to kill the original Robin Hood and bring a replacement Hunter to wear the title, Robin Hood. The Hern plot points were also quite daring for the time, at least daring in something broadcast in the USA, I cannot vouch for the UK's reaction.
There is a saying that whenever you write a story you are simply putting a new coat on an old story. In the case of Robin of Sherwood, they are actually providing a whole wardrobe of new coats to the Tale of Robin Hood.
I first saw this show when I was 11 years old. At the time my family was moving from the USA to the Middle East. My sister and I had been warned that broadcast television there was going to be very limited. So she and I set off to record as much television as we possibly could before we left. "Robin of Sherwood" was one of the shows that we managed to get on tape, but we were only able to record six episodes of it before we left. Over the two years that we were in Bahrain we watched at least two episodes a week and luckily we had all six episodes memorized before the tape finally broke.
I would love to get the complete series on DVD, but I live in a NTSC country. My husband won't let me justify buying a dual system TV for this Box Set. I've been giving him puppy dog eyes ever since I found out that "Robin of Sherwood" actually does exist on DVD, but it hasn't helped my cause.