Profile for J. H. Baggs > Reviews

Washington and Caesar
by Christian Cameron
Price: 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enthralling Read, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Washington and Caesar (Paperback)
I wasn't sure I would like this, given that Britain lost the war (a touch of xenophobia there). But the writing is excellent and the tale enthralling. Difficult to put down and easy to pick up.

The story chronicles the adventures of an escaped slave in the American revolutionary war, fighting for the loyalists (i.e. the king) against the rebels i.e. the colonists lead by G. Washington. Although the hero is fictional he is based on an amalgam of real people. I did not realise how many escaped slaves fought on the loyalist side, nor that after the war many were offered land grants in the remaining colonies of Canada and elsewhere - fascinating.

One notes the hypocrisy of the American slave owners rebelling in the name of liberty, while in bad old England (and its military forces), slavery was illegal.

The only slight niggle is that when the loyalists were winning, many of their military (according to the story) still felt they were bound to lose, and I can't see (from the story) what made them think so. It was only the intervention in the end of the French (boo) which allowed the colonists to win, and that only occurred at a later stage.

Winware Swing Bin Liner
Winware Swing Bin Liner

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH SACKS, 16 Nov 2012
I ordered one roll of 50 litre size rubbish sacks, extra strong, just to see what they were like before ordering more. I expected tie handles (though these weren't mentioned in the spec.).

I received a flat pack (difficult to dispense) of very flimsy (will tear if you look at them) bin liners (no tie handle), size about 20 litres. Like I say, rubbish.

They weren't worth sending back, but, bad news!

The Eagle In The Sand
The Eagle In The Sand
by Simon Scarrow
Price: 8.36

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING - NOT UP TO STANDARD, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Eagle In The Sand (Paperback)
I discovered the 'Eagle' books of Simon Scarrow by accident, and have since been working through them in chronological order. I have just read 'Eagle in the Sand' I found it incredibly disappointing, unlike most reiewers. Indeed, so disappointing, it has triggered me to write this, my first ever review!

Up to now I have found the description of life in the legions as credible, the relationship between Macro and Cato believable, and the suspension of disbelief while reading extremely easy. The books have been page turners which were difficult to put down.

Not so with this one. The storyline was poor and bitty, the descriptive knowledge and understanding was shallow and uninteresting, the military discipline of the two heroes was suspended in bouts of unbelievable soap opera insubordination, their relationship has descended to the mawkish, the characters and situations were cardboard and one felt that the author kept losing interest as he was going along. Certainly I did. It did not feel at all as if it were written by the same person who wrote the others in the series - perhaps it has been done by a ghost writer?

It was all too easy to put this book down and all too hard to pick it up again. I only hope that it forms a bridge to a better next novel. If not, I won't be buying any more.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2012 7:31 PM BST