Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

The Beauty Chronicles - Sensorial Secrets for Redefining Human Perfection
The Beauty Chronicles - Sensorial Secrets for Redefining Human Perfection
by Tina Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Mar 2012
This book is well written, informative and should be a must for anyone interested in the whole area of beauty and the industry that surrounds it. Highly recommended.

Firebird (Alex Benedict)
Firebird (Alex Benedict)
by Jack McDevitt

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 1 Dec 2011
I love Jack McDevitt's books - he writes well, presents a wholly credible picture in his far future and delivers pageturning action, peppered with detail about futuristic difference in life and the way it works.

One series is his books featuring Alex Benedict. I hate reviews that spell out plots (what's listed on line or on the cover is enough). Let me just say that I found this his best yet - I might even say the best sci fi novel I have read and I read many (though that might need some thought). The mystery devlops nicely, the characters are good and it is a book you simply lose yourself in; it also has as moving an ending as I have ever read in this genre - satisfying too. Highly recommended, if I could give it more than five stars, I would!

Dreamer In Concert
Dreamer In Concert
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dreamer In Concert (Audio CD)
My all time favourite has a live disc at last - simply her best yet, not least because of the small band feeling and more from husband Jim's saxophone than on some studio discs. A wonderful list of songs new and old. She's just the best!

The Departure (Owner Novel 1)
The Departure (Owner Novel 1)
by Neal Asher

5.0 out of 5 stars Good different, 23 Sep 2011
Okay this is not quite Neal Asher's usual fare, but personally - and I have read all his books and rate them highly enough to buy them instantly in hardback - I found it had his usual trademark of a "cracking read". It has a different focus to that of his space opera-type novels, his vision of Earth's future is certainly dark yet his action hero style story crackles along on Earth, in orbit and on Mars and by the end I was well into the long haul - I want to know what happens next and can't wait for the next installment of what is, I think, a trilogy.

After all should any author's books just be clones of each other? This is a departure (sic) but one I am happy to go along with. Don't be put off - it's great.

Little Elvises (Junior Bender #2) (The Junior Bender Series)
Little Elvises (Junior Bender #2) (The Junior Bender Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a joy, 5 Sep 2011
The latest from one of my favourite authors. I loved this, it was excellent - so much so that I barely noticed a major flight delay. I just love this author's writing. The plots are good, the characters too (the relationship here between Junior and his daughter was especially good) and while they are page-turners they also have a wry humour that just makes them a joy to read. If you have not tried Timothy Hallinan's books do so - you will want to read them all!

Girl in Translation
Girl in Translation
by Jean Kwok

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Girl in Translation (Paperback)
This is a first novel and I do so hope there will be more. Wonderful writing, great characters and a haunting, touching and totally beleivable tale. It is always great to discover a book that is good and different - I cannot think what to compare this to, which is good, a real find. Highly recommended.

Exiles: The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One (Progenitors Universe)
Exiles: The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One (Progenitors Universe)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 18 Jun 2011
I can see why this is self published. It is just too long, not good long, but just verbose and taking an age over simple stages of the plot - no characters just go from place to place, they stop and digress and the pace suffers.

That said this is a good story and a good read. If the author ever tightens their writing and creates a more pacy book thay are going to be published in a rush and I for one will want to read more.

Effective People Management: Improve Performance Delegate More Effectively Handle Poor Performance and Manage Conflict (Business Success)
by Pat Wellington

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice, 24 May 2011
Any manager needs to get their team working effectively, yet too often managers dedouble their own efforts when under pressure and neglect others. The greatest increase comes from getting everyone to do more and better. This is a really good review of the subject: practical, easy to follow and with plenty of ideas for implementation. I write business books myself (try "Successful Time Management" Patrick Forsyth Kogan Page), so I know this area and also know that not every business book is genuinely useful. This one very much is.

The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries)
The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries)
by Jacqueline Winspear

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 9 Jan 2011
This series just get better and better ... to buy instantly when they come out - a must read. A truly original and very appealing character (and supporting cast), wonderful evocation of the times (this book is set in 1932)and also a page turning mystery plot, the whole very well written. No hestitation - five stars ... and, note to author ... more please!

Chasing the Sun: The Epic Story of the Star That Gives Us Life
Chasing the Sun: The Epic Story of the Star That Gives Us Life
by Richard Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat, 15 Nov 2010
This book is a real treat: beautifully written, exuding a passion for its subject and investigating every aspect of the sun: as a physical body, as a symbol, in art, myth and everyday experience (from eclipses to sunsets). The detail is fascinating and it makes a very satisfying read. If you were not sure about it - go for it, you will not be dissappointed. I nearly did not buy it and am so pleased that I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4