Profile for Ken Pemberton > Reviews

Content by Ken Pemberton

Ken Pemberton "kenpem" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Halt and Catch Fire Season 1
Halt and Catch Fire Season 1
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly flawed, but still genius., 13 Jan. 2015
Great stuff! A little shaky on the techie bits occasionally, and slightly marred by the seemingly random sex scenes, it's still great fun to watch.

Absolutely recommended for anyone with a tech background - I'm old enough to remember this period, and there's plenty of nostalgia here. It's also great for the younger generation; gain some appreciation to what goes (went) on behind the scenes. What does it *really* take to get a machine out the door with your name on it?

If you enjoyed the book "The Soul of a New Machine", you'll love this.

Samsung S-View Wireless Case Cover for Galaxy S5 - Black
Samsung S-View Wireless Case Cover for Galaxy S5 - Black
Offered by jem-mobile

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth having, but don't forget the Spigen clip!, 24 Nov. 2014
At first I was annoyed at the added bulk of this case. Compared to the one I had on my S3, which also replaced the rear cover but added no noticeable thickness at all, this one's a bit clunky.

Then I dropped my precious S5. And was glad of the extra protection offered.

One tip, though - also shell out for the Spigen clip to keep the case closed!

Spigen Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / 4 Galaxy S5 Flip Cover [Magnetic Clip] Magnetic Holder for Samsung S View Cover / Flip Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 & Samsung Galaxy Note III**Cover is not included** - Magnetic Clip (SGP10688)
Offered by Spigen UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 24 Nov. 2014
Honestly, Samsung should have built this in to their covers. Paying £50 for the S-View cover with wireless charging, only to find out it doesn't stay closed is a bit galling.

This little clip does the trick.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
A little beauty, this.

Small & discreet, and a pleasure to use. The voice search is really effective - easiest way to find things EVER.

The ability to play content from an attached USB drive or even network resources (I have DLNA servers) would have made it perfect, then I could have repurposed my XBMC box too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2014 3:16 PM GMT

WMA Accessories ELECTRIC MILK FROTHER CAPPUCCINO COFFEE EGG WHISK
WMA Accessories ELECTRIC MILK FROTHER CAPPUCCINO COFFEE EGG WHISK
Offered by fashionnewsun

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value!, 24 Nov. 2014
A little noisier than my old one, but does the job well.

S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV
S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV
Offered by Fonesalesman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits in seconds, works as advertised. FTW!, 7 July 2014
Absolutely essential first purchase, along with a case to protect your shiny new marvel.

It's a real no-brainer to fit (once you figure out how to rip off your phone's rear cover). Just be very careful to re-fit that cover properly to ensure all the seals engage properly.

Then plop your phone down on your Qi charger (I use a cheap "compatible" one), and off you go! Of course it may take a *little* longer than plugging in, but I'll trade that for convenience any day.

Note that some device/pad combinations may need a bit of experimentation for reliable charging. My S5 has to sit quite high up on the charger pad before it gets going, my Nexus 7 on the same pad sits lower down. Play around until you find the sweet spot where the coils match up.

aLLreli® Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone Case [Front & Back Full Protection] Flip Cover [Premium PU] Leather Sleeve - Galaxy S5 SV G900F 16GB 32GB 64GB UK SIM Free Unlocked Ultra Slim Light Fit Smart Stand Folio Protective Magnet Phone Case - Brown
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised. And really quick delivery too!, 7 July 2014
On reflection, it's not exactly what I want. But it is exactly what I ordered, and I can't fault the delivery (VERY quick) or the quality.

I bought the brown S5 case, and I must say it's very classy. Well made, looks like it will stand up to hard use although I guess only time will tell. The credit card slot is wasted on me, but I can see it might be useful, possibly to hold an RFID bus pass or similar?

Pros:
Design is elegant, materials appear to be high quality.
Magnetic catch is just about right - strong enough to hold the case closed but easy to pop open intentionally.
Smooth and relatively slim-line, glides in and out of pockets easily.
Easy access to all ports and controls (except volume) when closed.
Still allows wireless charging with the S5 PWRcard (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F3J2KJW) installed under the standard rear cover.

Cons:
I don't like the wrap-around catch, it gets in the way whenever I'm holding the phone. I'd prefer one that is magnetically held closed against the front of the phone.
The phone does not auto-wake when the case is opened. To be fair, this wasn't an advertised feature, so no blame to the seller! But I've come to love this feature on my tablet, and really miss it.

Logitech H600 Wireless Headset for PC and Mac
Logitech H600 Wireless Headset for PC and Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for telephony, 23 Sept. 2013
What's good?
The audio quality is perfect for telephony, and perfectly adequate for casual music listening.
The setup (Win 7x32 in my case) was... a non-effort. Just plug in the dongle, wait a minute (the first time around only), and you're good to go.
Range is up to several meters easily - I didn't measure, but I'll happily wander into the garden for a smoke while on a conference call.
Excellent portability, they fold into a tiny package. I love that the dongle can be stored plugged in to the headset.

Not so good?
The audio response is almost all mid-range with little punch to the bass and the high end tends to fall away quickly. Audiophiles would be better off with a high-quality wired, heavyweight set of dedicated cans.

Overall I'm very happy, as I bought these for telephony. Sure, I listen to music on them too, but only because they're already connected.

Obscured By Clouds [Discovery Edition]
Obscured By Clouds [Discovery Edition]
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all obscure., 27 Sept. 2011
In my humble opinion, the very best of Floyd's offerings. Ever. Sure, they did a lot of great stuff, and I love most of it. But this, to me, defines them. Before they got loud and angsty, they were producing amazing melodic soft rock. Listening to it gives you the impression that they had a great time while recording. Very easy-going, relaxed tunes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2011 11:22 PM BST

Exspect Hard Flip Leather iPhone 3G/3GS Case Black - EX104
Exspect Hard Flip Leather iPhone 3G/3GS Case Black - EX104

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and long-lasting, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought one of these about a year and a half ago when I first got my iPhone. It's been in daily use since. Slimline enough that you don't really notice it in your pocket, but sturdy enough to withstand knocks and drops. To be honest starting to look a little worn now, but still holds the phone firmly and protects it well.

A good investment, absolutely recommended. In fact, I've just bought one for my son to use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3